PDA

View Full Version : I have a question?

Task Force
11-12-08, 12:25 PM
So whats you opinion on this processor? because I need a new one for gameing.:yep:
http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_phenomblack.aspx

Im looking for this, or something similar to this that has high performance.

Zachstar
11-12-08, 03:07 PM
For today it is the best value. Yet that stands to change really soon as the new sets arrive early 2009.

Core I7 stands to change things a great deal.

CaptainHaplo
11-12-08, 08:43 PM
I can't say its best value - depends on what you can pick it up for. Just remember - games right now are not taking real advantage of quad core chips. I would wait a while before dumping a cash load on this - but thats just me.

Task Force
11-12-08, 09:40 PM
Well id be getting it for christmas, and this is alot better than the one I have now which I found on that site for less than 100$s:yep:

Zachstar
11-13-08, 01:18 AM
I can't say its best value - depends on what you can pick it up for. Just remember - games right now are not taking real advantage of quad core chips. I would wait a while before dumping a cash load on this - but thats just me.

That is not true. All the major projects are written with dual and quads in mind. It is 2008 now and dual and quads at 64 bit are reality and mainstream.

Orange Box uses it.

Farcry 2 uses it.

etc.. and so on.

Reece
11-14-08, 01:16 AM
I have an AMD2+ mobo with an Athlon 64 x2 6400, the price was good but as Zachstar pointed out the current Phenoms are buggy & slow, not what you'd expect for a quad processor, but the new ones are just around the corner, if they are AM2+ compatable I will opt for one of these, depending on price of course!!:up:

Task Force
11-15-08, 02:33 AM
hmmmmmm, cause my current processor is a pice of s***.:nope:

Task Force
11-15-08, 09:43 PM
Ok, went to bestbuy tonight and they said that I have the best processor my motherboard can have. So were getting a new motherboard and switching to intell. On Tuesday were going back to talkwith the guy about switching over and upgrading vista to 64 bit.;)

Zachstar
11-16-08, 03:53 AM
I have an AMD2+ mobo with an Athlon 64 x2 6400, the price was good but as Zachstar pointed out the current Phenoms are buggy & slow, not what you'd expect for a quad processor, but the new ones are just around the corner, if they are AM2+ compatable I will opt for one of these, depending on price of course!!:up:

Um what?

No they are not buggy and slow.

The bug you are thinking of is hard to actually replicate and most modern boards will compensate.

Slow? You silly or something? If you can get rid of the heat it is possible to get them to 3.0 Ghz..

The problem is heat. The AMD quads make a good deal of it before OC even.

Reece
11-17-08, 07:06 AM
No no no, peformance is slow! I have checked many reviews & Intel Dual processors still out perform AMD Quad processors, also there is not much difference between the x2 chips & quad chips according to performance reviews on games such as Crysis, I have seen the reviews, but yes the early version of the Phenoms had a cache bug of some description, anyway the new processors to be released early 09 are supposed to be a marked improvement.:-? Unless the forums & reviews I read are wrong, possable I suppose!:yep:

Task Force
11-18-08, 10:15 PM
Changeing to Intell. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037&nm_mc=OTC-Channel&cm_mmc=OTC-channel-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-Intel-_-19115037&srccode=cii_6684177&cpncode=17-3039265&DEPA=0&refer=channel&CMP=OTC-

And a new Motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131182

Scratch the vista.:yep: Too much money, maby for my birthday.:hmm:

Task Force
11-25-08, 10:19 PM
ok, got my new CPU and motherboard working. now when I start up, I get a message.

something about there is a unknown CPU and that the bios need to be updated. to start up windows press F1.:hmm:

Whats it complaining that is rong now.:roll:

bookworm_020
11-26-08, 12:12 AM
I'm still just dreaming of a new computer, as my old one can't be upgraded any more:cry:. Now I just have to get the money!:roll:

panzer 49th
12-03-08, 02:24 PM
ok, got my new CPU and motherboard working. now when I start up, I get a message.

something about there is a unknown CPU and that the bios need to be updated. to start up windows press F1.:hmm:

Whats it complaining that is wrong now.:roll:
It means that it has been used before with a different CPU and doesn't recognize the new one. Try taking the round battery thingy on the MB and leave it out for 2 or 3 min then put it back in and try again. If that doesn't work, you may have bought a CPU that isn't compatible with you MB.

Edit* You need to flash the BIOS before that CPU you have will work. The installed BIOS doesn't know how to use a 45nm CPU.

Hylander_1314
12-03-08, 03:22 PM
Taskforce, check your local computer shop, as most of the time, if you buy a new hard drive, you can ask them for an OEM version of wondows. I got vista home premium x64 for 129.99 at the local shop. All I had to do was get a new hard drive for 60.00 bucks and I saves something 150.00 on the vista os.

I have a local Microcenter, and they are good that way.

Next time you get a new motherboard, depending on whether you use Nvidia, get an SLI board. If you use ATI, get a crossfire board. You can tweak your video by the addition of a second videocard, but you don't have to do it right away. You can do it when you're ready to.

Task Force
12-31-08, 05:35 PM
Cool, didnt know that.;)