PDA

View Full Version : Deck Gun Crew

Kirby_TFS
11-10-08, 12:27 PM
After my last patrol I was awarded a new boat the USS Drum. I have a little renown and thought I might do some upgrades while in port. Upgraded the radar and sonar along with the twin flak guns and upgraded the deck gun. Happy as a lark I'm off to see. I come across a lone merchant and thought I'd try out the improved deck gun. "Man the deck gun - fire at will"..........nothing happens. I go down to chew some butt in the crew quarters and see that there isn't even any slots to put seamen on the deck gun. In fact my icon for the special abilities is hiding under the seaman manning the flak gun. I go to the deck gun to fire it myself and it's not available with the enemy in sight. I have to use a torpedo to take him out. As I'm crossing the ocean I go back to the crew and still no slots, but I can access the deck gun manually. It even fires! So on the next merchant I try again and it is not available! Heck of a partol without the deck gun. Hopefully when I get back in port I can get the crew straightend out. On my previous patrols I had 2 people assigned to the gun, so I really didn't pay any attention before leaving port. Has anyone else experienced this?

SteamWake
11-10-08, 12:39 PM
I believe this is a known bug with TMO and there is a work around.

Check in the modding forum.

JT
11-10-08, 02:12 PM
I also was able to use some renoun after my first return to port and after upgrading the deck gun, found out that there are no crew slots to man it. I can shoot manually but takes forever to load. I think I have run back inside and get another shell myself since no one will help me.

It looks like a bug in the regular program since I have not applied any mods but I am up to patch 1.4.

I decided to go on out on patrol 2, finish it quickly and come on back to the barn to see what happens. I might have to start a new career if I can't get the proper slots.

Any thoughts out there?

JT

Kirby_TFS
11-10-08, 02:42 PM
From what I've read it appears that if we put the deck guns back the way they were before we left port when we return, it should fix the problem. We may also have to move some of the crew around to make the slots re-appear.

Arclight
11-10-08, 03:41 PM
Happened to me as well when I tried to move the gun from the stern mount to the bow. No crew slots available. (RFB 1.52) :-?

Kirby_TFS
11-12-08, 01:02 PM
Finally made it back in port and swaped out the deck gun for the previous version. Checked the crew before leaving port and guess what.....still no crew slots. I haven't left port yet, but would really like to use the deck gun on this tour. Open for any help. I'm running TMO and RSRD and I'm playing 1.5.

JT
11-13-08, 10:35 AM
I went out, finished the 2nd patrol without the gun crew, sank plenty of tonnage, came back to Pearl and still no crew slots. Looks like i'll have to bag this career and start anew.

Be careful of these automatic upgrades.

Save Early. Save Often.

Fincuan
11-13-08, 10:43 AM
Known stock game bug and easy to fix, although some editing of files is required. Use the search to find a solution. :up:

edit: Had the the link to one thread in my bookmarks: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121472&highlight=deck

wireman
12-04-08, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't say it's a easy fix. I have been hunting for the file and lines for a while now.

AngronIsAngry
12-05-08, 08:33 AM
As you upgraded your deck guns, did you switch from a stern mount to a bow mount? It seems like some classes can't have them on bow, in which case the whole entry (crew included) just disappears from the Crew Management.
So if you upgraded from a stern 3'50 to a bow 4'50, your deck gun entry and crew will vanish and downgrading to a bow 3'50, won't help the issue.

banjo
12-05-08, 12:35 PM
Angron is correct. You cannot change the position of your deck gun from bow to stern or vice versa. You are stuck with what you have. If you try to change the gun position the game will appear to let you, but that's when you have no available crew slots and the crew will not man the gun. You can but they will not. Make sure when you upgrade your deck gun that you put it in the same position and you'll have no problem.

AngronIsAngry
12-05-08, 09:21 PM
I can confirm that the Gar-Class can have the deck gun mounted stern and bow (or should I say or?), whereas the Tambor-Class is "limited" to stern mounts.
So it is Class dependent. BUT ...

... Banjos method of only upgrading the thing you got, not only is the surefire way to go, it is not a disadvantage to have a stern mount. It's a saftey feature.:yep:
Stern mounts need a little more navigation, which you could translate to planning and a planned attack is a "safer" attack.
Also running and diving away at full speed from your target, might be safer then running and diving towards your target at full speed to dive under it into a curtain of depth charges.

I'll have to admit, that I kinda have gotten used to a stern mount. So please take my crazy rumblings as coming from someone who tries to make the best of what he has been given.