PDA

View Full Version : I need to fire my weapons officer, he's a DUD

CobraDriver
10-25-08, 08:31 AM
So I haul ass from Australia to Tokyo bay, no kills enroute cause I was saving the torps for the mission, avoid the mines and I'm in place.

I lurk around and finally find a target, set-up, shoot 3 at a large tanker, 1 hits 2 duds. I hit him with a total of 8 torps and only 1 was not a dud!!!!

Wadup wit dat?

As soon as we get back to port senior torp guy gets relieved, he can go deal with his girlfriend or whatever he's going through, but his days aboard my boat are numbered.

The shot setup I used was the same I always use with no issues, so it's gotta be the weapons officer setting fuzes or something. Maybe the fella is a sabateur.

SteamWake
10-25-08, 09:11 AM
Bad run of luck there, Ive had as many as 6 duds in a row.

It happens some time. Some things that helps are...

Dont try to often for those 'under the keel' shots the magnetic triggers are notoriously un reliable. Set the torpedoe depth shallow and try for a hull shot. Just aft of the stacks is usually a good place.

Torpedoes tend to run a little deeper than what you set them for.

Remember the torpedoes need about 500 yards run before they 'arm' themselves.

Try not to get that 'perfect' 90 degree shot --->| use a slight angle --->/ rumor has it that the fuse gets mashed before it has time to detonate at 90 degrees.

I have personally found that setting the impact triggers to magnetic/impact to be a bit more reliable even when going for a hull shot. But beware in rough weather and high speed settings can lead to premature detonation.

Loud_Silence
10-28-08, 03:18 PM
I really dont know how you get so many duds. I fire all my torpedoes at 60º/120º AOB when i can, and if not i set them to magnetic detonation under the keel, thats a little lesson i learned in SHIII. Thats more difficult, but with big fat tankers or battleships isnt much more. And i almost have no duds, even when using MK14s!! I swear im using realistic torpedoes.

SteamWake
10-28-08, 03:49 PM
I really dont know how you get so many duds. I fire all my torpedoes at 60º/120º AOB when i can, and if not i set them to magnetic detonation under the keel, thats a little lesson i learned in SHIII. Thats more difficult, but with big fat tankers or battleships isnt much more. And i almost have no duds, even when using MK14s!! I swear im using realistic torpedoes.

Now youve gone and jinxed yourself :rotfl:

kylesplanet
10-28-08, 03:53 PM
In early war, If I remember correctly, the failure rate for the MK14's was about 70 percent.

richardphat
10-29-08, 12:29 PM
All hope failed!:arrgh!:
Lol jk you can get him next time! Make sure it will pay back!