PDA

View Full Version : Intel showcases 80-core CPU

Zachstar
10-24-08, 09:54 PM
Intel showcases 80-core CPU

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10107&Itemid=1

First of all, this is not Larrabee; we’ve asked, and the engineer guarding this live demo with his life told us that this is a project that started even before Larrabee. This is a CPU of the future that features 80 small cores and this CPU can perform 1 Teraflop with these 80 cores with 78.35W and 3.13GHz clock speed.

This CPU is smart; if you don’t need that much computational power it will shut down most of its cores and downclock the CPU all the way to 780MHz, the peak Teraflops performance will drop to 0.01 and it will only need 6.45W to compute the 4tile, 4x4 matrix mult withcomm equation.

--------------

WOW!!!! :rock:

The most impressive feature is not it's raw power but its ability to use as little as needed to get by when you are not trying to get to the top of a fold@home team.

This is the future I guess. More and more cores added with 3D transistors will EASILY hold us over until qbits invade the home PC scene.

With Far Cry 2 we are just under the point of not being able to tell a game scene from a video scene. Who knows where THIS will take us.

My guess? Only LARGE game companies can keep up..

FIREWALL
10-24-08, 10:11 PM
Thx for the info Zachstar :up:

Task Force
10-24-08, 10:14 PM
WOW, 80 cores.:huh:

Zachstar
10-24-08, 10:25 PM
WOW, 80 cores.:huh:

So by 2015 or so we will likely see double or even quad that.

Mainly because they have seemingly broken the traditional "More cores equals EXTREME cost and research time" barrier.

Now some may comment that "Hey video cards can do tons of work today" what they are forgetting is that Video cards are HIGHLY specialized and are not easily able to run things outside of 3D and shader work. And also keep in mind that the rendering they do is not ray tracing.

100s or cores means that the average person can run a supercomputer that can compute almost any task at insane speed.

Does your game require that millions of AI characters live in a simulated environment and react realistically? No problem with NO shortcuts.

Task Force
10-24-08, 10:29 PM
Too bad intell is doing this, My computer uses AMD processors.:shifty: Likely they will start putting more than 4 cores in CPUs way after Intell.:shifty:

Zachstar
10-24-08, 10:33 PM
Too bad intell is doing this, My computer uses AMD processors.:shifty: Likely they will start putting more than 4 cores in CPUs way after Intell.:shifty:

4 cores is nothing to laugh at right now. Games are only STARTING to take advantage of the tech and with game development prices skyrocketing that will not change very quickly.

Again it is obvious that we are heading for massive mergers for the game industry to keep up.

Task Force
10-24-08, 10:38 PM
AMD luanched there Quad core processor this year (just looked it up) and apparently it works alot better than Intells.:huh: It also appears to be power effecent.:D If it works in persional PCs, I think that im gona get one for christmas.:yep: Should be better than dual core.:D

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 10:40 PM
Thanks for this info. Now I know what my next Rig will be in 6 years or so.

80 or 90 core system.. Ya baby.:rock: Can you imagine the AI's being able to use real thoughts againts live players. Man those destroyers aren't using the same scripted lines like they used to back in the SH3/4 era lol.:rotfl:

Task Force
10-24-08, 10:44 PM
If I was you I wouldnt go for the first generation, Let them refine there processor then jump on the wagon.:up:

Wolfehunter
10-24-08, 10:47 PM
If I was you I wouldnt go for the first generation, Let them refine there processor then jump on the wagon.:up:I know I was just having fun. I never get the first generations. Always the 3rd. A friend told me that years ago.:up:

Thanks for your wisdom TF.:yep:

Zachstar
10-24-08, 10:50 PM
If I was you I wouldnt go for the first generation, Let them refine there processor then jump on the wagon.:up:

Agreed. Besides it is highly unlikely there will be ANY games that can take advantage of that raw power correctly for another 10 years atleast.

Right now it is simply too much cost to make games. That is why procedural generation is growing by leaps and bounds. To be able to say simulate a million humans halfway correctly in the game (Down to details as small as how the cut they got on Friday is healing) They need software that is able to make realistic models from looking at a base model then looking at photos of models then looking at other things then spit out a million individual models of the humans all rigged and ready to change as things happen. And it has to look the same as if a pro modeler had gone and made a million models.

BTW did I mention that because of graphics tech advancing by leaps and bounds that you have to have details down to the last pore on the skin?

Task Force
10-24-08, 11:10 PM
Myself, Im gona get a AMD quad core. From what I have read they are quite good.:D

nikimcbee
10-25-08, 01:04 AM
Intel showcases 80-core CPU

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10107&Itemid=1

First of all, this is not Larrabee; we’ve asked, and the engineer guarding this live demo with his life told us that this is a project that started even before Larrabee. This is a CPU of the future that features 80 small cores and this CPU can perform 1 Teraflop with these 80 cores with 78.35W and 3.13GHz clock speed.

This CPU is smart; if you don’t need that much computational power it will shut down most of its cores and downclock the CPU all the way to 780MHz, the peak Teraflops performance will drop to 0.01 and it will only need 6.45W to compute the 4tile, 4x4 matrix mult withcomm equation.

--------------

WOW!!!! :rock:

The most impressive feature is not it's raw power but its ability to use as little as needed to get by when you are not trying to get to the top of a fold@home team.

This is the future I guess. More and more cores added with 3D transistors will EASILY hold us over until qbits invade the home PC scene.

With Far Cry 2 we are just under the point of not being able to tell a game scene from a video scene. Who knows where THIS will take us.

My guess? Only LARGE game companies can keep up..

I bet I'll be working on this stuff.:hmm:

GlobalExplorer
10-25-08, 01:23 AM
Not bad.

Respenus
10-25-08, 04:01 AM
This is very, very interesting. It just happens I read an article about personal "supercomputers" that run on Intel Xeon processors and uses Linux to enable clustering. Now the whole rig can cost from 25-60k $. Now imagine this with the new Intel chips. She prices would drop drastically.

Since I don't expect this lovely bit of technology to come knocking on our doorsteps for quite I while, I'd rather see CELL technology incorporated into PC chips. If it works so well for PS3, why can't it work in PCs?

Bah, I remember my first PC I bought in 1997 (we had a family PC long before that). It was a 166 Pentium II MMX, a couple of MBs on the GPU, couldn't have been more that 16 or 32 MB of RAM. Ah, those were the days. The games looked like crap compared to today's HD graphics, but still. They were very much playable. Ah, the good old days.

Zachstar
10-25-08, 02:17 PM
This is very, very interesting. It just happens I read an article about personal "supercomputers" that run on Intel Xeon processors and uses Linux to enable clustering. Now the whole rig can cost from 25-60k $. Now imagine this with the new Intel chips. She prices would drop drastically.

Since I don't expect this lovely bit of technology to come knocking on our doorsteps for quite I while, I'd rather see CELL technology incorporated into PC chips. If it works so well for PS3, why can't it work in PCs?

Bah, I remember my first PC I bought in 1997 (we had a family PC long before that). It was a 166 Pentium II MMX, a couple of MBs on the GPU, couldn't have been more that 16 or 32 MB of RAM. Ah, those were the days. The games looked like crap compared to today's HD graphics, but still. They were very much playable. Ah, the good old days.

CELL technology is already for PC!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/03/leadtek-intros-spursengine-packing-pci-e-card/

Also I think 3 PS3s linked equals a small super computer but the things you do with a cell are different than an X86. Cells are great for crunching protein folding data while X86s kick ass with crunching business data.

Even a 20 buck ATI Theater 550 has an MPEG-2 chip on it. You are starting to see much more emphasis on chips doing their own work and less on the CPU.

Zachstar
10-25-08, 03:16 PM
I would like to mention another benefit with massive amounts of cores.

The fold@home project got a HUGE HUGE HUGE boost with the PS3 Client and the Video Card client.

With supercomputers at the hands of many thousands... It will become much easier to do massive amounts of CPU intensive research never before possible without NASA or IBM supercomputers.

One of the main ones is of course health. Where projects like Fold@home give massive amounts of refined data that mostly likely will end up with us finding preventive and treatment measures for a number of diseases in the future.

Respenus
10-25-08, 04:06 PM
WARNING, RANT BELOW!!!

What about game data then? I know that PS3 games have been coded to the hardware to make the most of it, but how can then a PS3 run a 720i or 1080i HD game on a 40in screen (I guess only the support the screen offers matters, not the size) and my computer with "more" GPU can't. I know that GPU's now come in 2Gbs ranges. My God, what have we done? Where's the 6Mb era of isometric 3D? I can buy a new rig, if I had the money and the interest to do it, both of which I don't have (the money part of unfortunate).

PS3 is older than my computer, no upgrades were done to the hardware expect the HD and still stuff looks better? For what? The fraction of what a new PC rig would cost?

Sometimes I wish computers had not happened as they are nothing but trouble. On the other hand, they have become very useful tools and I guess the new Intel chip will give even more functionality to every household.

Zachstar
10-25-08, 06:04 PM
PS3 hardware is completely different from PC hardware.

It is there for games and thus is designed for games. And on top of that the games are compiled JUST for that platform and not with the extra stuff needed to run on a multitude of PC and card types.

That is why the Xbox360 can run FC2 and that is why FC2 is the top of the line for it. PC GPUs are starting to leave it in the dust.

CaptainHaplo
10-28-08, 09:25 PM
One question - think of the heat that bugger is going to create in a standard desktop sized application. Better budget now for liquid-cooling.