PDA

View Full Version : Using the attack map

breadcatcher101
10-20-08, 11:38 AM
Do you guys use this much? I know nothing about it. Is it suppose to let you know if you have a correct firing soultion? I use the plot map all the time and I know the attack map has a purpose but what is it? Silly question, I know.

tomoose
10-20-08, 11:47 AM
LOL, I'm lurking in the background for this one as, I too, have never used the attack map and I consider myself fair to mediocre with manual targetting (I do all of my calcs on the nav map, plus a lot of nail biting, head-scratching, pencil-scribbling and most important of all cursing!!), LOL.

SteamWake
10-20-08, 12:16 PM
Ill use it often to make sure I have a particular ship out of a group targeted.

It can be confusing at times when looking into a large group to pick out a particular target.

Wilcke
10-20-08, 12:44 PM
Same as SteamWake. Nice to confirm the solution. Just a backup to the old Port or Starboard mistakes one can make at times. Sometimes even the simplest of shots can go awry cause you missed a little detail. Its all in the details.

Happy Hunting!

breadcatcher101
10-20-08, 01:32 PM
Yeah, talking about a little detail--like the time when I fired 2 bow shots at a stern target. Opps! (Torpedo missed, sir.)

So you can't really use it to know just when to fire. I ask because the firing panel is on the attack map as well as on the scope/TBT screens. I had wondered if it was used to check the gyro angle maybe. What is the little white line for, lead angle or something?

subcpo
10-20-08, 05:29 PM
I do all my manual targeting using the regular map alone.
Using all the Nav tools I compute SOA and course, then take those and put them in the TBT AOB, Speed, And Distance....It seems like cheating lol but it's what I do in real life so why not lol.
What I dont like about the regular map is that when you zoom in too far the ship icon goes away...does this happen to everyone?

I do not use the attack map.

<S>
Subby

SteamWake
10-20-08, 06:53 PM
What I dont like about the regular map is that when you zoom in too far the ship icon goes away...does this happen to everyone?

I do not use the attack map.

<S>
Subby

Yes, I think this 'bug' came with RFB might be in the vanilla game I dont know.

There is a 'fix' that Nunya and Orion were working on. I have it installed and it works fine.

PM me and Ill send you a copy I think they were trying to work it into a future update of some mods.

Orion2012
10-20-08, 07:51 PM
Here is a like that will nullify the zoom problem. If you don't like part of it PM me and i'll explain how to get it tuned to your liking. It's even Rockin Robbins approved!!

FYI: the link is in post 2 as I spaced out and forgot it

Edit:and I spaced out again...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142335

SteamWake
10-20-08, 08:54 PM
Here is a like that will nullify the zoom problem. If you don't like part of it PM me and i'll explain how to get it tuned to your liking. It's even Rockin Robbins approved!!

Edit:and I spaced out again...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142335

Thanks Orion, did you ever get hooked up with Nunya?

subcpo
10-20-08, 09:09 PM
In port mod?

Rockin Robbins
10-21-08, 04:00 PM
Contacts only vanish at higher magnification in Real Fleet Boat. In TMO and stock they remain visible. That is a large part of why I am a TMOplot hawker for RFB players.

Sandman_28054
10-22-08, 02:08 AM
Along the same lines, is there a way to zoom in or zoom out using the attack map?

God Bless

Till all are one.

C DuDe
10-22-08, 08:34 AM
Along the same lines, is there a way to zoom in or zoom out using the attack map?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Try the scroll... same as navmap. but you can't scroll all the way out like the navmap

Rockin Robbins
10-22-08, 08:40 AM
See the John P. Cromwell thread video for an example of using the attack map in action.

Orion2012
10-22-08, 12:11 PM

Thanks Orion, did you ever get hooked up with Nunya?
Yes and no, we had some discussions but Ultimatly nothing came of it. I believe he released EZ Plot, which includes some tails and such that I did not. More of a beginners plot then mine, or so the post lead me to believe.

Edit: No, you can install it anytime, it only overwrites a few .dds files which don't really even have to be there. Install it at anytime.

subcpo
10-22-08, 03:21 PM
Best Tool Ever!!!

Rockin Robbins
10-22-08, 04:44 PM
Yes, EZplot is similar to TMOplot only because it can be installed in any mod package. TMOplot plugs in the Trigger Maru plotting system (getting closer as we fine-tune it. Only getting general pointers from Ducimus. This is very early work for which he has limited memory.). EZplot institutes the stock plotting system.

Suppose you want to try Trigger Maru but don't like the more difficult plotting system. Suppose you don't know about Dave Grayson's great TMO with Training Wheels, which does the same thing. Just load up TMO and layer EZplot on top of it. Shazzam! You have the stock plotting system in Trigger Maru.

You can do the same thing with RFB to get the stock plotting system. Orion and I just think that the stock plotting system gives you too much unrealistic information for an experienced player who wants to work with the same type of data as a real sub skipper. And we have problems with the RFB plotting system, which makes targets vanish when you magnify too much. TMOplot gives us the round position marks, takes out the colors of the contacts and will remove the velocity vectors when Orion is totally done with it.

I look at EZplot and TMOplot as companion pieces making the game enjoyable to a larger group of people by allowing them to use small mods in a WEBSTER-like way to customize the game to their individual taste.

Sandman_28054
12-06-08, 08:08 AM

God Bless

Till all are one.

Try the scroll... same as navmap. but you can't scroll all the way out like the navmap

Finding out the hard way, but, since I have a trc-ball mouse, I can't use the scroll option. But, I did find out that I can use the "tab" button to zoom in. However, that has its drawbacks. It only increases magnification to a certain point, then it zooms back out, and you start zooming back in.

wireman
12-06-08, 08:32 AM
Ditto.