PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

disgrace86
10-19-08, 11:19 PM
I love this game but I was wondering a few things. I bought SH4 and the expansion on steam and cannot find a manual for it showing everything i can do and how, does anyone know where I can get one? Also when I go to battle stations my crew stays on the bridge flak and aa guns even though I am submerged can they drown? or it is just some glitch. Last thing for some reason it seems that my damage control team does not do anything, my stern battery was damaged and i have them selected to fix it after 2 hrs it is still not repaired even though i have real time repair switched off since it has been so long since i have played. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Orion2012
10-20-08, 12:31 AM
I love this game but I was wondering a few things. I bought SH4 and the expansion on steam and cannot find a manual for it showing everything i can do and how, does anyone know where I can get one? Also when I go to battle stations my crew stays on the bridge flak and aa guns even though I am submerged can they drown? or it is just some glitch. Last thing for some reason it seems that my damage control team does not do anything, my stern battery was damaged and i have them selected to fix it after 2 hrs it is still not repaired even though i have real time repair switched off since it has been so long since i have played. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

In regards to damage, a fully damaged piece of equipment can never be repaired at sea, and it does take the repair team a few hours to make significant repairs even without realistic repair time on.

The crew remaining on the bridge while submerged is a known glitch. If you have Volumetric fog and environmental effects enabled, try switching those off. Once I did that I haven't seen the glitch.

As far as the manual goes, it isn't much help as most of the game features are self-explanatory, if you have specific questions, try searching the forums and if all else fails, just ask in your thread here and I or someone else will surely be more then willing to help.

And Welcome Aboard.

tale
10-20-08, 04:18 AM
A very good source for learning are the sticky threads:

Technical Help & Questions, Guides and Trainings: TDC, Radar, Sonar and More... (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=107783)

[REL] Video Tutorals: TDC + PK advanced. (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118923)

The working links for this last one are at the end of the thread, pages 9 and 10

Seminole
10-20-08, 07:19 AM
If you have Volumetric fog and environmental effects enabled, try switching those off.

I have both enabled and I've never had the problem.

I read elsewhere,several times, the problem is caused by Alt-Tabbing to Desktop then resuming play.

I've done that too,many times, and never had the bug.

Just a hunch here but I'll throw it out...

Could the crew remaing on deck be related to having a full DC control crew... in other words ...all crew slots filled? Maybe the game engine doesn't see a place to stow them when you dive and so leaves them on deck.

I never take more than 2 -4 DC crewmen on Patrol and always make sure the Gun crews are moved to slots in DC when we dive...other wise if we are depth charged and the guns receive damage...the gun crews receive injuries....but not if they are bunking in DC.

Of course thse are watchmen left on deck too but I think there could be a relation.

banjo
10-20-08, 09:08 AM
The crew remaining on deck when submerged is because of Alt Tabbing. It doesn't have anything to do with the sub crew load out. This used to happen to me and was pointed out in another thread. Once I quit alt-tabbing no more outside crew. It is just a graphical anamolly--all the crew are inside at their stations. Also, if you alt- tab you will disable your ability to go into silent running. When you need to go to the Desktop, save the game and go to the Main Menu. From there you can alt tab to the Desktop with no problems (that I know of) and it is a quick return to the game from there.

SteamWake
10-20-08, 09:36 AM
I love this game but I was wondering a few things. I bought SH4 and the expansion on steam and cannot find a manual for it showing everything i can do and how, .

Dont feel bad those who bought box sets are still looking for the same thing :rotfl:

IanO
10-20-08, 04:14 PM
I got the game through Steam too, and I was able to find a PDF of the manual somewhere. I just can't remember where now. :oops: Either it was installed with the game in some weird Steam directory, or I downloaded it somewhere.

People are right that it's not a great manual. But if you're like me, you want to take a look anyway. :)

When I get home tonight I'll poke around on my game machine. If I figure out where I got it, I'll follow up here.

peabody
10-20-08, 06:02 PM
I got the game through Steam too, and I was able to find a PDF of the manual somewhere.
Mine is in the Silent Hunter/support folder. I didn't get it from Steam but I assume it should be the same.

Peabody

SteamWake
10-20-08, 06:49 PM
I got the game through Steam too, and I was able to find a PDF of the manual somewhere. I just can't remember where now. :oops: Either it was installed with the game in some weird Steam directory, or I downloaded it somewhere.

People are right that it's not a great manual. But if you're like me, you want to take a look anyway. :)

When I get home tonight I'll poke around on my game machine. If I figure out where I got it, I'll follow up here.

Just keep in minde that alot of the info given in the manual is erronious or details things that just dont exist.

The manual was a copy paste job from SH3 ( which wasent that great to begin with ) with some minor editing.

Orion2012
10-20-08, 09:41 PM

Just keep in minde that alot of the info given in the manual is erronious or details things that just dont exist.

The manual was a copy paste job from SH3 ( which wasent that great to begin with ) with some minor editing.

http://hosted.filefront.com/Orion2012/

I Uploaded the manual.

FIREWALL
10-20-08, 10:03 PM
In SH4-UBM Gold all you get is a pdf copy of SH4.

Nothing about UBM or the game extra's.