PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question.

red_one
10-19-08, 01:32 PM
So I've been playing SH3 for years. Finally got SH4 and UB.

How do I get the repair guys to actually do anything? I've got a list of bulkheads that need repairing, I've clicked the "man repair station" button, the crew list says they're active, but a) nothing gets fixed b) they go back to sleep after a couple of hours.

what's going on? (and how the hell do i tell if i'm in Silent Running if the damn thing doesn't say "secure from silent running" when you are?)

Monica Lewinsky
10-19-08, 05:57 PM
http://learnabit.homeserver.com/lab/read-the-manual.jpg

Lexandro
10-19-08, 06:13 PM
The manual is terrible for SH4, it barely explains anything other than the absolute basics.

OP; Put the crew on actions stations and the damage control team will contiue to work to repair the damage until you stand down from action stations, or they all fall over exhausted.

Orion2012
10-19-08, 06:16 PM
Also should be noted the crew will do some repair for the compartment their in. Ordering the damage control team just makes the process quicker.

peabody
10-19-08, 07:10 PM

How do I get the repair guys to actually do anything? I've got a list of bulkheads that need repairing, I've clicked the "man repair station" button, the crew list says they're active, but a) nothing gets fixed b) they go back to sleep after a couple of hours.

what's going on? (and how the hell do i tell if i'm in Silent Running if the damn thing doesn't say "secure from silent running" when you are?)

Are you sure they are not 'destroyed'? If they are 100% destroyed and not 'damaged' they will not get fixed unless you have the 'special ability' guy that will fix even destroyed stuff.

Peabody

Arclight
10-20-08, 04:14 AM
1. assign crew to damage control team.
2. put crew on battle stations

Should get fixed, unless completely destroyed. :hmm:

FIREWALL
10-20-08, 04:45 AM
SH4-UBM Gold doesn't even come with a manual.

Seminole
10-20-08, 06:58 AM

I asked that same question not too long ago. I got lots of answers... none very satisfactory. ;)

If you want my impression here it is:

let the people in the damaged compatment do the repairs and don't worry about the DC crew at all. I've never been able to order them to repair anything under any circumstance. :nope: Either the compartment crew does the job..or it remains not done... these being items usually damaged beyond repair.

The one exception is the special ability crewman who can repair totally destroyed equipment....but again..I have only had success wih him in the damaged compartment..never as part of the the DC crew.

Keep in mind not all items can be restored to 100% efficiency. Batteries are a good example, Sometimes after repair, they will only charge to a certain level...say 85%....after which no repairs are done and you can discontinue battery charging..it only wastes fuel.

Keep in mind other opinions on repairs may vary. So can your own experiences.

It is too bad that the damage control aspect wasn't made more elaborate. It could well be a "game within a game." Imagine sititng on the ocean floor ,ordering your repairs as needed on a priority basis. Actually having your crew overcome the odds,repair the boat, and get it home.

I've been in just such situations playing SHIV...and always ended up looking at that screen with my comemorative statue...:shifty:

BTW...the DC compartments are dandy places to stow your deck and AA gunnery crews...otherwise they get beat up during Depth Charge attacks if the guns receive damage in the attack. That is the reason I don't carry a full DC crew....I leave open spaces for the gunners.

Schani
10-21-08, 09:08 AM
I found one way to see if damage control is being done as ordered, is to go to the control room. There you should see a couple of extra crew members working with wrenches. Then keep checking the damaged equipment to see if the percent of damage is being reduced.

The one question I have is if a compartment is completely flooded i.e. aft torpedo room for example. Is it possible to reduce flooding when surfaced and then effect the necessary repairs?

Webster
10-21-08, 12:30 PM
The one question I have is if a compartment is completely flooded i.e. aft torpedo room for example. Is it possible to reduce flooding when surfaced and then effect the necessary repairs?

i dont think so because most of the shell is still underwater and continues to flood

Schani
10-21-08, 03:24 PM
I hoping that there might be a way. I kinda already knew the answer before I asked. But you never know unless the question is posed. I thought possibly there might be some way of using compressed air. At least now I know the answer.

Thanks for the help Webster.:up:

Webster
10-21-08, 10:06 PM
I hoping that there might be a way.

yea it sucks, lol

i had the forward torpedo room flooding and the DD was dead so i ran the bow up on shore (very gently) and sank from flooding lol.

the external camera showed i should have had only 1 foot of water at the most but still i drowned :damn:

in the game if you have flooding you could run aground completely out of the water on a dry beach and continue to flood so your only hope is the repair crew.

Diopos
10-21-08, 10:09 PM
Playing stock 1.4.

It depends on what you mean "flooding". I've had situations where according to the blue "flood bar" a compartment was fully flooded. But the crew assigned to that compartment was OK and the equipment was OK too (except those originally damaged). So the "flood bar" is a good indicator of your sub's status but not the only one. And yes flooding can be dealt with not only on the surface but even when submerged (under certain conditions and/or with some luck). If you're submerged you need at least some power on the motors, functioning dive planes and a functioning pump. Depth control will be difficult but if you're lucky it is doable. You might find yourself setting your dive planes for periscope depth but your actual depth might be greater. If you can't maintain adequate depth blow ballast. Of course you're doing all this underwater because the DDs are waiting you on the surface. So when you blow ballast set depth accordingly to avoid actual surfacing.
You'll be doing all this while at the same time the DDs will be hunting you and most probably without "silent running". You're trying to survive as crew and the damage control party are trying to patch the leaks and at the same time not get depth charged!. In the stock game (ver 1.4.) you might live. Don't know about 1.5 and/or more aggresive mods.

Orion2012
10-22-08, 12:19 PM
Playing stock 1.4.

It depends on what you mean "flooding". I've had situations where according to the blue "flood bar" a compartment was fully flooded. But the crew assigned to that compartment was OK and the equipment was OK too (except those originally damaged). So the "flood bar" is a good indicator of your sub's status but not the only one. And yes flooding can be dealt with not only on the surface but even when submerged (under certain conditions and/or with some luck). If you're submerged you need at least some power on the motors, functioning dive planes and a functioning pump. Depth control will be difficult but if you're lucky it is doable. You might find yourself setting your dive planes for periscope depth but your actual depth might be greater. If you can't maintain adequate depth blow ballast. Of course you're doing all this underwater because the DDs are waiting you on the surface. So when you blow ballast set depth accordingly to avoid actual surfacing.
You'll be doing all this while at the same time the DDs will be hunting you and most probably without "silent running". You're trying to survive as crew and the damage control party are trying to patch the leaks and at the same time not get depth charged!. In the stock game (ver 1.4.) you might live. Don't know about 1.5 and/or more aggresive mods.

Unlike Sh3 crew is not harmed or killed by being in a flooded compartment. There are some major flaws in the way the game engine handles a flooded compartment. If the rear of the boat floods you can keep yourself up by adding power to the motors, when in reality there thrust shouldn't be enough to do so. Until a CE is added with full control of trim and ballast tanks it is almost impossibly to simulate what it would be like keeping a sub at a persistant depth let alone control over an emergency situation.