PDA

View Full Version : What's your most prized possesion that's to do with the war in the pacific?

Nisgeis
10-18-08, 04:52 PM
For me, it's my copy of the fleet type submarine manual. It's an original copy, published in June 1946, complete with full fold out colour sections. Much better than squinting at online scans.

My second favourite is a signed copy of 'Hell Above, Deep Water Below.' by Dale Russell.

What have you got in your library?

Rockin Robbins
10-18-08, 05:54 PM
Holy Cow! Oh well, you asked for it. First is a collection of books by submariners, some famous, some not, autographed for Warren Watkins, my wife's grandfather who served aboard USS Kraken in WWII. These were purchased at various US Subvets Of WWII conventions.

War Patrols of the USS Flasher, autographed by author William R McCants
Thunder Below, autographed by author Admiral Eugene Fluckey
Sub Duty, autographed by Finback crew member and author Grover S McLeod
Torpedoman, autographed by author Ron Smith--if you can find it trade your first born!
Threshold of Hell, autographed by Grenadier survivor author Albert Rupp

The rest aren't autographed but some are quite hard to find.

Navy Retread by Jack McDonald
Silent Running-my years on a Wiorld War II Attack Submarine by vice-admiral James F Calvert
The Last Patrol by Harry Holmes the operational histories of all 52 boats lost in the war
Fresh Water Submarines, the Manitowoc Story by Rear Admiral William T Nelson
The Admiral's Wolfpack by Jean Noli
I-Boat Captain by Zenji Orita
Japanese Destroyer Captain by Tameichi Hara
The Destroyer Killer, Sam Dealey by Edwin P Hoyt
Submarines at War - the history of the American Silent Service by Edwin Hoyt
Shinano! by Joseph Enright
U-505 by Daniel Gallery
Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams...

And of course I have the standard Das Boot, Iron Coffins, Run Silent Run Deep Trilogy, there's more but I can't see them right now. And a box in the garage that I haven't gone through too.

matelot2001
10-18-08, 06:46 PM
Before I start, I would like to thank everyone here. I often take other peoples advise without posting and frequently download mods without thanking the authors. So, a big thank you from me to all of the community.

My most prized SH4 related item is a copy of 'Wahoo', written AND signed by Rear Admiral Richard H. O'Kane.

Another prized WW2 related book is a copy of 'Flagship Hood', written AND signed by the recently departed Ted Briggs, one of the three surivors of HMS Hood.

And in future, I promise to thank the authors of mods that I download and to get involved in discussions on a regular basis!!

Yours Aye

Rockin Robbins
10-18-08, 07:33 PM
Wow! That's a good one from O'Kane. There MUST be a story behind why my wife's grandfather never acquired anything by or about O'Kane. Maybe I don't want to know....:rotfl:

donut
10-18-08, 07:50 PM
Dear ol Dad's,M3 trench knife

claybirdd
10-18-08, 08:44 PM
I have a 1909 German 7.65mm Mauser infantry rifle from WW1. Has been converted to 30-06.:up:

Orion2012
10-19-08, 12:30 AM
I have a 1909 German 7.65mm Mauser infantry rifle from WW1. Has been converted to 30-06.:up:

That's a very rare weapon.

Although this came from the european theater...

I have my Grandfather's MI Garand M1C with the rear sight protector, although unfortunatly don't have the scope.

Diopos
10-19-08, 12:30 AM
What's your most prized possesion that's to do with the war in the pacific?

Well not exactly a possesion, but certainly "prized": subsim.com and you guys... good info on the pacific, good forum manners (mostly) and even some good laughs too!

Nisgeis
10-19-08, 02:33 AM
Welcome aboard Matelot!

Seminole
10-19-08, 09:04 AM
I have a house in the Philippines (really a part ownership consortium since I'm not a Philippine citizen ) that was commandered by the IJ Army in 1941 and by U.S. Army in 1945. Both used it as their district (S.E. Clark AF) operational headquarters.

Thank goodness they gave it back to my farther-in-law's father, the provincial governor, in good repair, after they were done using it. :roll: :-?

I intend to go there someday and run over the house and the compound it it is built on with metal detectors....one of those things I never seem to get around to actually doing. :down:

SteamWake
10-19-08, 09:06 AM
My freedom :sunny:

Sledgehammer427
10-19-08, 04:27 PM
a continuing plot to steal a united states submarine if the world goes to hell in a handbasket....buahahahaha...
trying to find out if i should steal the Lionfish or the Cod...

but, i have a decent library of books...and im not there so i can't remember all of them

EDIT: amen to that, steamwake

AVGWarhawk
10-19-08, 06:55 PM
My freedom :sunny:

Right on! :up:

snakeyez
10-21-08, 10:26 PM
Wow! That's a good one from O'Kane. There MUST be a story behind why my wife's grandfather never acquired anything by or about O'Kane. Maybe I don't want to know....:rotfl:
Many WWII submariners believed O'Kane to be crazy, on a revenge mission for the Wahoo, and reckless. My grandfather thought this way, and it saved his life, for he was supposed to go to sea on the Tang, but swapped with another EM for the Tambor.

Someone died in my grandfather's place on the Tang under O'Kane's command...

edit:
Oh yeah, among the books, magazines, photos, newspaper articles, this is probably my most prized possession of the era:
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc198/lancedean/papaw/DSC05494.jpg

Urge
10-22-08, 12:47 AM
A diving alarm off a WW2 Sub. They were going to take out an old decommissioned sub for target practise and the powers that be said anyone could have whatever they wanted off the boat. I was on the USS Carp(SS338) at the time. I went straight for the diving alarm (actually 2 of them) and was leaving with my treasures when an officer from my boat saw them and told me some bull**** about how I had to give them to him. He said to leave them on his bunk so I did but after thinking about it I was so pissed I went and took one back. you tell me is that stealing? Anyway I still have it. I used to crank it up at midnight on new years eve when I was a little younger. You could hear it for a block or 2.

Urge

CapnScurvy
10-26-08, 01:06 PM
For me, it's my Dad's dress uniform on my living room wall. He served just under three years in the South Pacific as a "ground pounder" in the U.S. Army Armor division, 754th Tank Battalion. He was a Tank Commander, Platoon Sergeant. He and the Battalion started in New Caledonia; then on to Guadalcanal, arriving just after the initial beachhead; Bougainville; then on to Luzon, Philippines for it's invasion and liberation.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/IMGA0279.jpg

Along side is my Grand Fathers WWI uniform, of whom I am also proud. Serving in France for over a year in the U.S. Army 322nd Field Artillary.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/IMGA0289.jpg

Perhaps the most important treasure were his stories of the war. The ruthlessness of the enemy, the hot steamy jungle and being "buttoned up" for long periods of time. The friendly Filipino people, who wanted to share what little they had. Dad spoke little about the war, even when asked directly. It was only when he met with his fellow battalion servicemen at one of the yearly reunions would you hear the real story. It was like these others guys were the only people on earth who knew what you knew. Who saw what you witnessed, and understood the agony of war and the pain from the conflict. His silence was deafening to those that knew him. May I suggest that if there is anyone who you know that is able to relate their story PLEASE ask them and copy it down. You will be glad you did when time takes it's toll.

Schani
10-27-08, 02:05 PM
Meeting Charles W. Lindberg here in Grand Forks (his hometown) for the dedication of the East Grand Forks World War II Memorial. He was the last surviving member of the platoon that went up Mount Suribachi 23 February 1945. He is pictured in the (original) flag raising photo. Standing to the right holding a carbine. That is the photo he autographed in a book I brought. He pointed out many of his friends and some other photos he is seen. One of the two guys with flamethrowers going up Suribachi that day. And group photo on top.

Just a note. Joseph F. Enright (USS Archerfish) was from Parschall North Dakota (born in Minot). Wish I could have met him.

Also, a buddy of mine has his father's 1st Cavalry Division album. That was at my place and survived the flood of 1997.

With 1946 Tokyo autographs from Generals:

MacArthur
Krueger &
Eichelberger

He was an officer in the 61st Artillery battalion. He commanded a 105mm battery in the Admiralities, Leyte and Luzon. I do have the orignal surviving copy of his war diary. For some reason the year before I made a copy. The original was destroyed in the 1997 flood. I happened to have the copy on the top shelf above my desk. His family wanted me to keep it after I offered it back. The family and I have good been friends for over forty years and I guess they figured it's in good hands. Though we recopied it for the division history a few years later.

I love'd their motto:

Artillery lends dignity, to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl.

Vacquero
10-27-08, 06:46 PM
Memories of my grandfathers stories. He was a Marine, hit Guadalcanal and Tulagi and a few more that I can't remember. He was part of the first wave on Guadalcanal and the second on Tulagi. Wish I could have gotten his stories on tape, course it was hard to get him to talk about it anyway.

Steeltrap
10-27-08, 09:51 PM
Many WWII submariners believed O'Kane to be crazy, on a revenge mission for the Wahoo, and reckless. My grandfather thought this way, and it saved his life, for he was supposed to go to sea on the Tang, but swapped with another EM for the Tambor.

Someone died in my grandfather's place on the Tang under O'Kane's command...

I find this interesting. From my reading of O'Kane's writing, and reviewing Tang's record, it's hard to see how this was supported by fact.

They had the lowest number of patrol days per ship sunk of any USA sub in WWII.

They didn't suffer any casualties until sunk, and that was from a malfunctioning torpedo, certainly not something attributable to O'Kane.

He tested many, many things about the true nature of Tang's operational limits prior to patrolling. Witness the 'true' depth test method. Also read about the many prudent acts with respect to radar testing and operational use. I think it would be reckless to go to war and not be completely aware of your capabilities and limits.

O'Kane strikes me as a real master of his craft. People who have ideas outside the norm and a real ability to kill 'sacred cows' etc (i.e. non-conformists in a real sense) tend to face the ire of others. When you consider Tang's war record and decorations etc, it's also not hard to imagine some would be jealous (note, I am NOT in any way pointing any of these remarks at your grandfather!!!!).

He might also have been driven and a perfectionist, and such people are often difficult to live with.

It's also true he was a professional naval officer, and his views on why they had a submarine at all were very clear: sink the enemy. If not doing that, get out of it and let someone else do it.

Completing more patrols in a shorter period of time than any other boat might also have given rise to discontent. If your view was "I'm doing what's expected, but I don't see why we have to do more than is expected and more often than anyone else" vs "We should be killing them all until there are no more to kill", it's likely to produce a pretty divergent view on performance, and understandable that some might think he was 'crazy' (after all, why would you choose to risk your life more regularly than anyone else in similar circustances?).

It would have been interesting to speak with those who served with O'Kane for any length of time and try to get a real picture of what he was like. I wonder if his exec, Frazee, ever made any observations about him? Then again, hard to imagine a former subordinate is going to criticise a man with the highest decoration open to members of the armed forces of his country....

snakeyez
10-27-08, 10:33 PM
I find this interesting. From my reading of O'Kane's writing, and reviewing Tang's record, it's hard to see how this was supported by fact.

They had the lowest number of patrol days per ship sunk of any USA sub in WWII.

They didn't suffer any casualties until sunk, and that was from a malfunctioning torpedo, certainly not something attributable to O'Kane.

He tested many, many things about the true nature of Tang's operational limits prior to patrolling. Witness the 'true' depth test method. Also read about the many prudent acts with respect to radar testing and operational use. I think it would be reckless to go to war and not be completely aware of your capabilities and limits.

O'Kane strikes me as a real master of his craft. People who have ideas outside the norm and a real ability to kill 'sacred cows' etc (i.e. non-conformists in a real sense) tend to face the ire of others. When you consider Tang's war record and decorations etc, it's also not hard to imagine some would be jealous (note, I am NOT in any way pointing any of these remarks at your grandfather!!!!).

He might also have been driven and a perfectionist, and such people are often difficult to live with.

It's also true he was a professional naval officer, and his views on why they had a submarine at all were very clear: sink the enemy. If not doing that, get out of it and let someone else do it.

Completing more patrols in a shorter period of time than any other boat might also have given rise to discontent. If your view was "I'm doing what's expected, but I don't see why we have to do more than is expected and more often than anyone else" vs "We should be killing them all until there are no more to kill", it's likely to produce a pretty divergent view on performance, and understandable that some might think he was 'crazy' (after all, why would you choose to risk your life more regularly than anyone else in similar circustances?).

It would have been interesting to speak with those who served with O'Kane for any length of time and try to get a real picture of what he was like. I wonder if his exec, Frazee, ever made any observations about him? Then again, hard to imagine a former subordinate is going to criticise a man with the highest decoration open to members of the armed forces of his country....
Hey I agree with you Steeltrap. O'Kane was a master at what he did. I wonder sometimes just what the Tang might have further achieved if not for that circle run torpedo.

But I try to think about what rumors may have been spreading at that moment in time when the Tang was at Midway in June of 1944, heading out for her 3rd war patrol. The Tang was making a name for herself already at that point. And everyone knew of the Wahoo's loss by then. I just don't know what it was like then. The other guy that swapped with my grandfather wanted to be part of the Tang's fame. I guess my grandfather was cautious, and perhaps that saved him, and me as well! All of those guys were there because they volunteered for submarine service. It's all amazing to me.

It's just difficult to look back on things and understand when we know the history and outcomes. I'll never know sadly.

I'm goin' down
10-27-08, 11:36 PM
My father was in the 4th Marine Divison and landed on Saipan in the invasion. He was in a medical unit, and organized the defense of a front line field hospital which was attacked that very night. According to my mother, several enemy dead were found outside the defense perimeter the next day. He was awarded the Bronze Star in the field by a full bird Colonel. I had the original photo digitally enlarged and framed. It hangs on the wall in the family room. The picture shows the Colonel shaking his hand when the battalion is in formation in their combat fatiquies. The photo includes the line of soldiers in the background. It was taken by an AP photograher and has great depth of field, clearly a professional shot. My father's shirt has stripes (it is a black and white photo) which probably signified he was in a medical battalion. I have the medal, his dog tags, a field mirror, a 1943 Marine Corps field knife, his ribbons, his Marine Corps trunk, a field blanket, and the original medal citation signed by James Forrestal. See below.

I copied the citation, the original which is framed, in full and share it here. It reads:

THE SECREATARY OF THE NAVY
WASHINGTON

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the BRONZE STAR MEDAL to

FIRST LIEUTENTANT HENRY J. MILLER,
UNITED STATE MARINE CORP RESERVE,

for service as set forth in the following:

Citation:

"For meritorius achievement as Quartermaster of the Fourth Medical Battalion, Service Troops, Fourth Marine Division, in action against the enemy Japanese forces on Saipan Island, Marianas Group, from 14 June to 9 July 1944. Skillfully performing his regular duties, Frist Lieutenant Miller initiated a security guard around the batallion hospital area, thereby preventing serious casualties among the hospital personnel and patients undergoing treatment. Conscientous and resourceful, he employed every means available to secure much needed supplies for the comfort of the sick and wounded. His indomitable spirit, tireless efforts and unselfish devotion to duty relect the highest credit upon Frist Lieutenant Miller and the United States Naval Service."

Frist Lieutenant Miller is authorized to wear the Combat "V"

For the President,

James Forestal (original signature)

Secetary of the Navy.

Note: after the war, my father refused to stand in line for anything. I guess the Marine Corps cured him of that! He taught me the Marine Corps hymm when I was a toddler, and I grew up listening to Broadway production of South Pacific, which I saw at Lincoln Center (the revival) in September. It was great!

clayp
10-28-08, 03:38 PM
A dead jap..........:sunny:

Nisgeis
10-28-08, 04:12 PM
Wow, there's certainly a lot of treasured possesions. The photographs are especially nice. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

shoot-kill-win
10-28-08, 09:43 PM
Well, I have two prized possessions. The first is portrait of the Batfish's crew during the war (aft of the bridge) that is autographed by the remaining crew members. The second is my copy of "The Depths Of Courage" that is autographed by many different WWII submariners.