PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 4?

HansVonBeehan
10-17-08, 04:09 AM
Hello.

my dad is downloading, SH4 for me, but we have played it before and its extremly laggy. (So he deleted it) I have no idea why!

So is it worth it to buy the
Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific Collector's Edition - Amazon Exclusive (PC DVD) for £11.96

My -Gaming Rig

Manufacturer:Fujitsu Siemens
Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory:1022MB RAM
Hard Drive:160 GB
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Monitor:Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:Realtek AC97 Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:USB Root Hub
Mouse:USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

Bosje
10-17-08, 04:16 AM
my rig is pretty similar except i have a geforce 8600 gts

for me, SH4 runs smoother than SH3 does (gwx and olce etc, i get serious framerate problems when a convoy turns on all the searchlights for example)
so my guess is it shouldnt be a problem.

you can test your rig to see if it supports SH4
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/ubi_srl?registration_option_id=4368

good luck

Seeadler
10-17-08, 04:21 AM
My -Gaming Rig
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Your video card is not supported by the game

min. required cards:
ATI® Radeon® 9600/9700/9800, X300 ą X850, X1300 - X1800
NVidia® Geforce (TM) 6200/6600/6800/7800

Bosje
10-17-08, 04:25 AM
oops *wanders off and shuts down*

HansVonBeehan
10-17-08, 06:44 AM
Ahh thank you both! :)

I shall have to see if it works on mydads machine.

Rockin Robbins
10-17-08, 06:55 AM
You're not going to play the game with that video card. The AMD 3200+ is a little slow but perfectly capable of playing the game. I would look for a cheap graphics card upgrace to at least an nVidia 7600GT. The 8600 cards are almost exactly the same speed. If you can locate a 7900 series card, that might be your best bang for the buck.

HansVonBeehan
10-17-08, 09:04 AM

tomoose
10-17-08, 09:30 AM
I'm running an AMD 3200 with nVidia 7800 AGP card and 2 Gigs of RAM and SHIV works very well with a slight stutter if there's a LOT of action going on.

So to add my two cents; I agree with the graphics card recommendations mentioned but would also highly recommend you bump up your RAM to 2Gig.

Good luck.

Cobra_mkII
10-17-08, 09:36 AM
It's similar to my rig, I once had the FX5900 and had the same laggy problems in IL2 for instance. Upgrading to a friends gifted 6800GT worked a treat.

The only thing I would advise is making sure you get a card that fits your board, I assume like me you are AGP not PCI so watch that.

tomoose is right, doubling your RAM is well worth it

HansVonBeehan
10-17-08, 11:08 AM
I brught a Nvidia 8 Series but alas it doesnt fit into the motherboard!

time for a new PC I think?

Rockin Robbins
10-17-08, 11:30 AM
I brught a Nvidia 8 Series but alas it doesnt fit into the motherboard!

time for a new PC I think?

You have to be very careful what kind of graphics slot you have. Sounds like you have an AGP motherboard. And the best you can do for that one is a 7600GT, which will play SH4 just fine thank you. I use one every day.

An Nvidia 8 series fits a PCIe slot, which you can tell very quickly because it has a spring loaded latch on the back side. If you want to keep that card, it's new motherboard, CPU and memory time. But you will gain allot by doing that, like the ability to use the new go-fast SATA hard drives.:up:

Webster
10-17-08, 02:04 PM
what i havent seen mentioned is anyone telling you not to buy that version of the game.

get the gold edition of the game because it comes with the uboat ad-on v1.5

it has a different game engine and will run much better on your system with less lagging.

IMHO 1.5 is a must have anyway so if your buying the game buy the gold edition, you wont be sorry.

not to mention most of the mods for the game are made for 1.5 anyway

HansVonBeehan
10-17-08, 02:31 PM
thank you all

Monica Lewinsky
10-17-08, 03:39 PM
My -Gaming Rig

Manufacturer:Fujitsu Siemens
Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory:1022MB RAM

I had earlier decided to take a pass on posting advice, but, all the above posts on replacing your video card FIRST is GOOD sound advice.

Video Cards are like women ... everyone has preferences and did not want to get involved in that battle on which ones are good looking.

What shocks me, is no one pointing out your total RAM of 1024 MB [1-gigabyte] kinda of sucks so to speak. The video card makes everything look cool, but your RAM is the 2nd thing to look at also to get you some horsepower on how fast the game loads up and plays smoothly [after replacing the video card].

My old PC that I replaced in April, 2008 had a top notch video card, but the PC only had 1024 MB RAM. It was 6 years old. Used to take a minute or so just to start SH4.

New PC has 3072 MB RAM [3-gigabyes of RAM].

SH4 loads up under 10 seconds in Vista now.

Watch so you don't over buy the amount of RAM that XP can use. I forget its maximum number that it can use. In other words don't over buy the RAM upgrade chip[s] that XP can use. I cannot remember if it had a 2 or 3 or 4 gigabyte limit on how much it can "see"/use.

Put the RAM upgrade of your PC right behind the video card replacement.

POW! that baby [additional RAM] will cruise at flank speed and make your game play top notch.

Task Force
10-17-08, 03:43 PM
Wow.:huh: Im suprised that vedio card/ processor/ and acouple of other things even ran the game with lag.:huh:

Cobra_mkII
10-20-08, 06:48 AM
[quote=HansVonBeehan]

What shocks me, is no one pointing out your total RAM of 1024 MB [1-gigabyte] kinda of sucks so to speak.

Both Tomoose and myself recommended doubling the RAM :roll:

Be careful HansVonBeehan if you decide on an new AGP card and doubling RAM.

RAM like your card may not fit if you just buy "off the shelf", take out and compare your RAM spec etc to ensure compatability.

Guidance would be locate suitable RAM and buy 2gigs and install that, keeping your old RAM safe. Depending on the games you want to play that will be a cheaper, but short term, option to buying a new computer.

tomoose
10-20-08, 11:35 AM
Cobra;
good point about ensuring compatability. Buying a Gig of RAM from company X and a Gig of RAM from company Y to make 2 Gigs can result in issues. CMIIW (correct me if I'm wrong, trying to create my own net acronym LOL) but I don't think it's as much of an issue as it used to be in the past. Out of habit I play it safe and ALWAYS buy matching RAM sticks.;)

Wildhawke11
10-20-08, 08:56 PM
32bit system be it XP or VISTA can use 3.25GB of RAM -- So Monica has it right.