PDA

View Full Version : More fps from new Drivers

TDK1044
10-12-08, 03:26 PM
I downloaded the latest version of the Nvidia Drivers for my card (7600GT)and I gained an extra 4fps. Although my Drivers were over a year old, I really didn't expect anything in the way of fps improvement, but I'll take 4fps thank you very much.

I now get 30fps in port and 45 to 50 on the external shots at sea. :D

SteamWake
10-12-08, 08:32 PM
4 whole frames per second !!!

:rotfl:

Sorry couldent resisit.

I had a major disastor with an antivirus install this weekend. Im a little cranky :shifty:

kylania
10-12-08, 11:25 PM
For such an old card like that, that's pretty good!

Task Force
10-12-08, 11:41 PM
Yes it is good for that card.:yep:

Seminole
10-13-08, 07:34 AM
Isn't 4 fps within the margin of error as the pollsters like to say?..;)

But anyway, any improvement is a welcome improvement... no doubt about it.:up:

TDK1044
10-13-08, 09:11 AM
4 whole frames per second !!!

:rotfl:

Sorry couldent resisit.

I had a major disastor with an antivirus install this weekend. Im a little cranky :shifty:

I know. :D But I really wasn't expecting any increase in fps. My old 7600GT actually runs this game very well. I was happy with the fps I had, but I'll take a few more....even 4 LOL

GlobalExplorer
10-13-08, 10:08 AM
gain in %?

I would also check if AA / AIF / image quality settings were altered, 4fps sound a lot, one would expect such gains to come only at the expense of image quality or if the old driver was developed in a rush.

Anyway, better than the other way around ..

Seminole
10-18-08, 07:05 AM
I just picked up some new drivers (178.24) released on October 15th.

Just thought I would mention it .....since no one else has...and this looks like as good a place to do it as any, as opposed to starting a new thread.

'Course these were 64 bit drivers... but usually Nvidia releases 32 and 64 versions simultaneously...though I can't quarantee that.

How do the new ones perform?

As usual... without doing detailed benchmark testing...I can't visually detect any performance change ... for better or for worse...from just playing SHIV.

SteamWake
10-18-08, 08:31 AM
I just picked up some new drivers (178.24) released on October 15th.

Just thought I would mention it .....since no one else has...and this looks like as good a place to do it as any, as opposed to starting a new thread.

'Course these were 64 bit drivers... but usually Nvidia releases 32 and 64 versions simultaneously...though I can't quarantee that.

How do the new ones perform?

As usual... without doing detailed benchmark testing...I can't visually detect any performance change ... for better or for worse...from just playing SHIV.

Im from the old school of 'if it works dont fix it' unless someone can definativly promise a marked increase ... say 5 to 10 % better performance Im not going to fix it.

The antivirus thing was / is a freakin nightmare.

banjo
10-18-08, 09:35 AM
Steam, I'd like to hear more about that antivirus problem if you feel like sharing. Tks.

SteamWake
10-18-08, 10:20 AM
Steam, I'd like to hear more about that antivirus problem if you feel like sharing. Tks.

I'll try to make it short. In real time I figure around 6 hours wasted on this.

I run norton anti virus and zone alarm firewall. Windows XP(home)

One night I sat down to goof around on the puter when a window popped up. "Would you like to update your virus protection to Version 9.0? I'ts free as a part of your subscription".

Well sure of course... click. Install proceeded zone alarm asked for several 'permissions' so I decided to just shut down zone alarm. Install proceeded without incident. "Install needs to re-start your machine to finish installation". Cool almost done. Restart.............

Windows starts, gets to the desktop, and :dead: freezes, hangs up solid, no disk activity, no mouse, nothing. :doh:

Reboot.... same, reboot, same.... Grrrr Ill start in safe mode :smug: crap no keyboard response in safe mode (usb not powered up)..... Off to find old keyboard..:88)

In safe mode attempt to un-install AV... no can do... not from safe mode.

Sooooooo... fall back to a system restore. Great, now I have a responsive system but.... hey... where is my antivirus?!

Un-instlall both zone alarm and any 'traces' of NAV including the registry.

Check the ZA website "We are aware of the problem, the 'new' version of ZA fixes it. Download and install 'new' version of ZA and... woopie it worked.:sunny:

Now to install NAV. NAV install goes through a few things only to finally say "Install did not finish". :damn:

So.. in conclusion... I still have no AV protection :dead:

banjo
10-18-08, 01:44 PM
Wow. Scary--and I have read that an unprotected pc on the internet is attacked like every 15 seconds. Don't know what I'd have done any differently--one assumes updates are the right thing to do.

SteamWake
10-19-08, 08:44 AM
Wow. Scary--and I have read that an unprotected pc on the internet is attacked like every 15 seconds. Don't know what I'd have done any differently--one assumes updates are the right thing to do.

I dont know about attacks but I do get frequent pings from DNS servers owned by comcast.

Im alot more concearned about the firewall(s) than the virus protection. Still I paid good money for a years subscription and now I dont have any working VP.

Edit; Update I have it all working again. Had to find all mentions of Symantec & Norton in the registry and search "all files" in safe mode and delete them. Run the norton removal tool (again). Restart in normal mode and run the install routine again.

Funny thing is Symanted changed my subscription to 522 days when I only paid for a year. Its the least they could do ;)