PDA

View Full Version : Periscope Camera

old_tex
10-11-08, 07:49 AM
I'm lying just outside of Hiroshima harbor on a recon mission. I cannot get the periscope camera to light up. I have read all the other discussions concerning the use of the camera. I am using V1.5 and have put in the "camera mod" but with not results. I have gotten very close to the target (without being detected ~1000yds) but the camera will not activate. Is the camera an afterthough for the game and should I just sink as much as I can and return to Pearl and take my lumps for not completing the mission and go on? Or, is there a real solution? Old_tex (deep six dude):o

Seminole
10-11-08, 07:52 AM
You need to hit the "L" key,once the target is sighted, and the camera icon should light up. Click on it until it goes gray again and you are done.

Sometimes you need to sight more than one target to accomplish the mission too.

I'm not sure what the camera mod is..that is the first I have heard of that.

SteamWake
10-11-08, 08:45 AM
The 'camera mod' has nothing to do with the periscope camera, rather the external view camera. Its limits range and speed of motion.

As Seminole said the targets have to be 'locked' before the scope camera will activate .

Here is a handy guide "How to complete a mission by Beery" http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111509

BTW what ever happened to Beery ?

Sgt Hotcliff
10-11-08, 10:37 AM
Seminole,
I noticed your spec, a very high-end comp indeed..

Intel Core2 Extreme CPU @ 3.00 Ghz
Mainboard EVGA 132 CK-NF78
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX x3 SLI
Memory 8192 MB (17% Used)
Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate :up:

My question is..are you happy with it?

I use a "simple"
Intel Pentium 4 550 (P) HT 3,4 GHzMotherboard Asus PTGD-LA
recently upgraded:
XFX Nvidia 8800GT 600M 1Gb GDDR3
Memory 4Gb Crucial DDR2 PC4200
Windows XP32 SP3

I did some benchmark tests and came out at 60fps in Company of Heroes..but depressing 25fps in World in Conflict!
I am not sure if WIC is a good benchmark, besides I hate the gameplay in it..just chaos! :)

Happy I am with COH and Silent Hunter IV though..good enough..

"Flank Speed"

Lexandro
10-11-08, 11:05 AM
Old Tex; You will need to install the "PhotoRec_Fix_TmoAll&Stock" mod to fix the broken photo recon missions.

Here is a link to the mod.

PHOTO RECON FIX MOD (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/7391059166)

old_tex
10-11-08, 03:27 PM
The "Photo_Recon_Fix" is the modification I installed. I have tried all of the other methods discussed. I still cannot get the camera to operate (at all). I have gone through the forum and seen other comments concerning this problem- all without resolution. Any other comments? Old_tex
:dead:

Lexandro
10-11-08, 05:41 PM
Some photo missions require you to hang around and take photo's of ships as they enter a harbour. You will be required to take several pictures of different targets in the area if one is not specified in the mission brief. If you are to close to the harbour itself, ships can "un-spawn" and vanish infront of you.

If a target is specified such as a carrier, these usually have defensive positions and ships covering them, and an anti-submarine net in place. You will need to get as close as possible to the target, without hitting the A-S net and alerting the defense force to take a picture. Some targets have a minimum range before they can be sighted by your crew. The crew need to spot the target to make it light up with the target marker, unless you are able to see it yourself easily.

To get the picture you need to line up the scope with the target, be in range, and then press the L key (default key/ stock game) to lock on to the target. Then the photo button will light up, and you can take a picture.

Seminole
10-12-08, 08:26 AM
My question is..are you happy with it?

..in a word...Ecstatic...:yep:

Seminole
10-12-08, 08:37 AM
The "Photo_Recon_Fix" is the modification I installed. I have tried all of the other methods discussed. I still cannot get the camera to operate (at all). I have gone through the forum and seen other comments concerning this problem- all without resolution. Any other comments? Old_tex
:dead:

Ok I don't use this mod..I'm not exactly sure what it means when it states in the readme that it

fixes all photo recon mission problems

Here is the readme:

This Mod is JSGME ready.
This MOD fixes all the Photo Recon problems for both the stock version of the game and all TMO versions up to 15B. It also works for the Training Wheels vesion. Always enable it after TMO or TMOWTW.
The only files touched are the Photo Recon Folders in the Patrol Objective Folder. All the missions were tested and they will allow completion of the objective.
Thanks to alieneddiexxx for getting me started on this. His testing led me to the solution.
Thanks to Ducimus for his help. He taught me how to test the missions.
dgrayson
subsowespac
ubi

I would suggest:

1. Make sure you followed those warnings about installation

2. Remove it(the mod) and see if you can then complete your mission

3. If I am correct ...I believe that this is one of Webster's mods...you might try and send him a private message and get his thoughts.

Good luck.

Sgt Hotcliff
10-12-08, 08:42 AM
..in a word...Ecstatic...:yep:

yes, I can imagine..but I am not jealous at all! :damn: (today's first lie!)

trying to be happy with my new graphic card xfx 8800GT 1Gb and increased ram memory 4Gb..it looks very good so far!

But, is Vista not making any trouble?

I have Vista on my laptop, a HP-Compaq 8510p, but I try to keep it mainly for work..

Panzer, marsch-marsch! :up:

Sgt Hotcliff

Seminole
10-13-08, 07:55 AM
I have never ever had any problem with Vista. It came with the system or I would probably still be with XP too . I have no particular agenda for supportiong Vista. I am quite happy with it. It has a lot of new features that I like. I heard all these same arguments against XP when it first came out...but look at it now...:lol: ..you would think XP the best invention since canned beer.

If the "Mojave Experiment*" is not a pure propaganda piece....and I can just bet many will declare it so, with or without supporting evidence...the results of that would explain a lot of Vista Resistance...;)

*Primary results:
94% of respondents rated the “new operating system” codenamed Windows “Mojave” higher than they had initially rated Windows Vista before....even though Windows Mojave is indeed only Windows Vista with a name change.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't much like hijacking a thread like this...I had hoped when I checked back in that Old_Tex..would be back to let us know that he resolved his issue.

Another thing I wanted to point out...but forgot to do so..was to let him know...he may need to get closer than a thousand yards...especially if the weather is lousy topside.

old_tex
10-13-08, 10:18 AM
OK, I went on with the recon mission and when I got into the harbor and relatively close to the target, the camera became active. This worked both with and without the "camera mod." It appears that the use of the periscope camera is mission dependent and not a fulltime option. Thanks for the inputs and discussion. This forum is great, since a newbe like me can ask questions without being chastised for ignorance. The game is great! By the way, I am using an ASUS motherboard with dual-core AMDs and Nvidia 7000 series video. It works great. Thanks Old_tex
:up: