PDA

View Full Version : jittery waves

rud
09-30-08, 10:55 AM
I've been searching for information regarding the jittery wave problem and haven't come up with much. It gets confused with jello waves a lot, which I've never seen but as far as I can tell are two different things.

My waves are jittery. Whenever I look up/down or move the camera position all the waves suddenly move strangely, wave tips going up and down appearing out of nowhere, it just plain jitters.

I didn't used to have the problem, I had an ATI x1950 that broke, I replaced with a HD3850, at some point the game got removed and I just reinstalled it the other day and noticed the problem right away.

It's unaffected by time compression. It happens in harbor, close to port, and far out at in the open ocean whether I'm surrounded by boats or completely alone, submerged or running on top. It is not intermittent, but happens ALL the time when the camera moves or I look up or down every time I play the game. Changing views back and forth doesn't fix it, ctrl-n doesn't fix it, not using time compression doesn't fix it, reloading my game over and over doesn't fix it, reinstalling the game from scratch (following AVGWarhawk's full instructions to be on the safe side) didn't fix it. It happens with the uboat missions addon, with SH IV 1.4, and with vanilla SH IV 1.0.

The only thing I've found so far is editing scene.dat's value for SmallWave suppression but I haven't been able to find a value that works for me (either the sea becomes way too flat or the jittery waves are still noticeable).

Anyone have any fixes for this that I haven't been able to find? It's killing the game for me big time right now. Hopefully someone's got a solution to help me get back to a sea that's not entirely flat or entirely too spastic.

banjo
09-30-08, 11:26 AM
I can't help you much other than to say it happens to me too, but only sporadically--happens but when I change views and some time goes by it goes away. Never have figured out a pattern. However, it used to happen a lot but now only occasionally so something is better.

Have you installed the latest video drivers? Also try a free program called AlacrityPC from that website. Really frees up a lot of memory and shuts down un-needed programs. Without it the game jerks (different from your jitters), with it the game is smooth.

Good luck.

SteamWake
09-30-08, 11:35 AM
Happens to me too.

Seems to have to do with the 'suns' position, sea state, and point of view.

Evidently the reflections of the sun causes it. No biggy I just turn my point of view and it goes away.

Task Force
09-30-08, 11:54 AM
Im assuming you have U-boat missions addon. If so, Its anouther bug. Pretty sure theres nothing you can do.

rud
09-30-08, 12:05 PM
I've got uboat missions, it happens whether or not I've installed SH4 by itself or SH4 with the UM addon. As I said, I can never get it to go away in my game, I've tried a lot of different weather conditions, times of day, positions in the ocean, distances from land/targets etc. It also happens in all 360 degrees view and I can even see it from beneath the water in the external camera

I've done the driver updates and went back and tried old drivers, happened to me as far back as catalyst drivers 7.11 (as far as I went). I haven't used AlacrityPC but when I saw a few people saying their antivirus software was causing it I went ahead and killed everything possible on my computer before running the game but had the same issues.

thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming anyone else who's got anything :-)