PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing japanese ships, conveys, etc.

I'm goin' down
09-24-08, 12:26 AM
I have a problem. Many times I have observed and tried to engage a ship, convoy or task force that appears on the map. I change my course, drool all over myself, but by the time Imy bath tub arrives at the intersection on the map the enemy has simply disappeared, and the red rectangle on the map representing their location has faded away. I am sailing all over the Pacific chasing these damn phantoms. Is there a pixie in the computer? Like the couple said when the fire department pulled a boa constrictor from ther bathroom piping under their tiolet, "I just knew there was a snake sticking his head out, I just knew it." (They took him away to Happy Dale Sanitarium anyway!)

Zero Niner
09-24-08, 02:23 AM
You need to go where he is going to be, not where he was.
From your post, it looks to me like you're headed for where he was last reported. Obviously he's not gonna be there by the time you reach that location. He would've gone on a few miles.
You need to estimate where he will be in the time it takes for you to get there. It's called plotting an intercept course and speed.

Here's a simplified procedure:
a. Note which direction the contact is headed. Draw a line from the contact out along that direction. That is its base course.
b. Decide what speed the contact is going. Slow means about 7 kts; medium 10 and fast 12 kts (these are the rules of thumb I use).
c. Depending on the target's course and direction relative to you, decide how you want to intercept. A ship heading more or less towards you means you don't have a long distance to run. Conversely a contact headed away from you means you'll need to pour on the coal in order to overtake and get into position ahead of it.
d. Based on the above factors, make a mark on the target's course some time from now. Say two hours - so if the target is moving at 10 kts, he'll have covered 20 nm in 2 hours. That is the intercept point.
e. Next, decide whether it is feasible to reach that point based on your position and fuel available. If it's possible, plot a course for that point and ramp up the speed as necessary to reach that point before he does. Then wait for him to appear.

Do note that ships do change their base course. Take that into account. Many a time I've reached the intercept position only to find that the target has changed course and is now headed in a completely different direction.

doulos05
09-24-08, 08:54 AM
Allow me to whole-heartedly recommend Legion's Noob Guide! It addresses this very issue, an issue I was having as well. And I find his to be less difficult that the advice posted by Zero Niner because you don't have to know exactly where he's going to be.

Link follows: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111445&highlight=legions+noob+guide

If you don't have time to watch the video, here's a quick run-down.

1) Draw a line along the targets projected course. It can be as long as you like. As you use the method more, you'll get a feel for exactly how long to draw it. For now, over-estimate and draw it long.

2) Use the compass to draw 2 circles ~10 nm in diameter, one at each end of the line and then draw 2 lines tangential to both circles (touching the edges of the circles without passing through them in case you've forgotten High School Trig) about the same length as your first line. It doesn't have to be precise, just close. This is what he calls a "probability corridor". Unless the target changes course, he will be somewhere in here.

3)Now, just plot a course for your sub to the far end of the corridor and then plot a course that zig zags up the corridor towards the target's last known position.

4)Assuming you gave the target sufficient lead time (IE he didn't leave the corridor before you arrived on station to begin your search) and he hasn't changed course, you cannot help but to make contact with him. Before 1943 and the installation of SJ radar on your boat, you will find it helpful to dip to about 10 feet below periscope depth periodically to check for hydrophone contacts. I like to do this when I'm at the turn in my zig-zap pattern, but you can do it whenever.

5)Once you find them, plot a course that takes you to either their port or starboard side so you can be set up for your shot.

The actual guide has a lot more info in it and carries through the intercept, the approach, right up to the kill. Quick note: Legion uses one mod in particular, the 3000 yard bearing tool, that may well be the most useful mod you download. This is located in the downloads section of this site.

SteamWake
09-24-08, 09:05 AM
Allow me to whole-heartedly recommend Legion's Noob Guide! It addresses this very issue, an issue .

Ive done that now in a couple of threads :doh:

doulos05
09-24-08, 10:46 AM
Ive done that now in a couple of threads :doh:

I just couldn't resist. Before the Noob guide, I had not had a successful intercept (accidently ramming a DD at night in bad weather doesn't count as successful, although it technically was an intercept...). Since I've started using the technique he put forward, I've intercepted every TF/Convoy I've gone after and I've been able to recognize when to just ignore the radio contacts because I can plot the first line, look at the speed and say "Nope, can't do it." For the career I'm starting with RFB, I'm going to run with all the "limited" settings on and slowly enable more settings after that.

I'm goin' down
09-24-08, 11:31 AM
The last several posts were great. I will try them today. I thought I had a pixie in my computer. What is a DD and a RFB?

Sailor Steve
09-24-08, 11:40 AM
DD is the United States Navy's code for destroyer.

RFB is the Real Fleet Boat Mod.:sunny:

SteamWake
09-24-08, 11:40 AM
DD is a acronym for Destroyer(s)

RFB is short for Real Fleet Boat a modification of the game.