PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Seeing the Time Shift Bug?

banjo
09-16-08, 05:31 PM
So there I am happily running 1.5, TMO and RSRDC and everything is just tickety boo. Suddenly, about two weeks ago I notice that occassionaly the time is off by anywhere from 6 to 12 hours, i.e., the sun rises about noon and goes down late in the night, or rises about 1800 and goes down the following morning.

I can see not pattern to this so have no idea what's causing it. Any thoughts?

SteamWake
09-16-08, 05:32 PM
Could it be because you sailed halfway accross the globe and your watch is still set to your 'local' time.

banjo
09-16-08, 05:49 PM
Ha ha. That could be it. :D I forgot to add that if I exit to the Main Menu and return, the time/sun is correct again (so far).

John Channing
09-17-08, 04:29 PM
The time you see is Base time, not local.

JCC

banjo
09-17-08, 05:59 PM
No, I'm not talking times so much, it's a sunrise/sunset daytime/nighttime thing.

SteamWake
09-17-08, 09:47 PM
No, I'm not talking times so much, it's a sunrise/sunset daytime/nighttime thing.

Yes indeed when the sun comes up its daytime, when it goes down its night time.

Please correct me if Im wrong :rotfl:

Arclight
09-18-08, 05:00 AM
I have had this bug as well, once. Sunrise at 2 at night. :-?

Think it has some relation with TC, but I've never been able to replicate it. Restarting the game solved it.

Yet another mystery of the Silent Hunter world.

banjo
09-18-08, 10:28 AM
Arclight, yes, I too have always felt it had something to do with TC. Since it seems to happen to me more than others I will try to notice a pattern and figure it out. If I come to any definitive conclusions I will report back on this forum.

Buddahaid
09-18-08, 11:05 AM
I think it's just the time zone you start the sim from not updating until a restart. If you look at many actual patrol reports, the time is followed by a letter that indicates what time zone is in effect.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/1592/nautilus1.htm

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/world_tzones.php

The clocks were reset when the zone changed and SH4 doesn't go there.

Buddahaid

Arclight
09-19-08, 08:26 AM
Thing is it happens mid-game. Everything is fine, you TC forward 1 day and it's screwy. I remember noticing a stutter or something while in TC (maybe I noticed "rig for red" going away in the middle of the night :hmm: ), but didn't pay attention to it. When I went back to realtime (early morning, 8 or 9a.m.), it was still pitch dark. Stayed like that untill 9 or 10p.m., when the sun came up. Sunset around 5 or 6a.m. :o

Was september I think, maybe it has some correlation to changing of seasons? (if the game takes this into account at all)

In my case it seemed night and day had switched, rather then sunset/sunrise times having shifted, but a 12hr shift would yield that result as well.

With other screwy stuff happening in high TC, something like this doesn't really surprise me. In fact, with the remarkable short time spend in-house for SH4, nothing surprises me anymore... Like a taskforce steaming with some ships nearly running decks submerged and others having a 1 foot draft. :shifty: