PDA

View Full Version : Should a carrier be there? Or was I just lucky?

Jaywa
09-12-08, 10:41 PM
I left Perth about 6 days before the battle of the Coral Sea and was heading across the northern part of Australia headed for Port Moseby. While crossing the Gulf of Carpentaria I started to be buzzed by Zeros. After continually diving I got caught on the surface with a low battery.

I was attacked by two of them, destroyed one and damaged the other when out of nowhere two more came in, the first one broke my back with a bomb.

My question is, historically the capital ships came in around the eastern part of New Guinea. These planes looked like they were coming from the south of my position so I'm guessing there was an AC there. Did any of the carriers that took part in the Battle of Coral Sea come through the Gulf of Carpentaria?

Orion2012
09-13-08, 03:09 AM
If your playing a stock campaign, you can throw historical accuracy right out the window.

Te Kaha
09-13-08, 04:12 AM
And if you want historical accuracy, take a look at the "Run Silent Run Deep Campaign" (RSRDC) :know:

Kloef
09-13-08, 07:44 AM
There's a little mod that makes the planes more realistic,look in the modsection..

SteamWake
09-13-08, 08:01 AM
Honestly there is no telling where these planes came from. The game literally spawns them out of nowhere there may or may not have been a carrier in the area.

As others have said in the 'stock' game the planes can become incessant.

Probably the best tactic is to run submerged at around 2 knots in daylight hours and run on the surface at night.

Better yet start looking into some of the mods that have been mentioned which tone down the amount of air cover to a reasonable degree.

Seminole
09-13-08, 08:16 AM
I left Perth about 6 days before the battle of the Coral Sea and was heading across the northern part of Australia headed for Port Moseby. While crossing the Gulf of Carpentaria I started to be buzzed by Zeros. After continually diving I got caught on the surface with a low battery.

I was attacked by two of them, destroyed one and damaged the other when out of nowhere two more came in, the first one broke my back with a bomb.

My question is, historically the capital ships came in around the eastern part of New Guinea. These planes looked like they were coming from the south of my position so I'm guessing there was an AC there. Did any of the carriers that took part in the Battle of Coral Sea come through the Gulf of Carpentaria?

I'll tell you a little secret about dealing with those planes...and avoid having a flat can.(drained battery)

When you dive to avoid a plane....just cut speed to zero and stay down until dark.

You are going to arrive at your destination,for all practical purposes at about the same time anyway. Within a day or two at most. You will be avoiding a lot of unnecessary hassels doing this. Not to mention picking up sonar contacts. Trust me.

SteamWake
09-13-08, 08:32 AM
I'll tell you a little secret about dealing with those planes...and avoid having a flat can.(drained battery)

When you dive to avoid a plane....just cut speed to zero and stay down until dark.

You are going to arrive at your destination,for all practical purposes at about the same time anyway. Within a day or two at most. You will be avoiding a lot of unnecessary hassels doing this. Not to mention picking up sonar contacts. Trust me.

Not bad advice but in the stock game you will be diving every couple of hours it seems like. It gets aggrivating after a while. If you run at around 2 or 2.5 knots while submerged you should be able to stay down all day and still make a little headway.

Again the best 'fix' is to try one of the mods that effect the air cover layers.

Jaywa
09-13-08, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the all the advice...I've been playing for awhile and have learned to just deal with the planes when I'm near land, but you're right after awhile it gets a little stupid. I would expect them if I'm close to a carrier.

I am playing the stock campaign as I've just gotten "Wolves" I played SH4 for a long time when it came out.

I reloaded and this time went around the southern part of Australia to enter the Coral Sea (gotta love not worrying about fuel) and caught up to a carrier group..shot off four torps at a Heavy Cruiser then dove..only to watch each and every one of them detonate well short in choppy seas...then the destroyers pounced on me for about 4 hours (game time) by the time I came up for air the carriers and cruisers were long gone...

I'll look into the mods now..thanks again.

Diopos
09-13-08, 02:14 PM

I totally agree. Battery "juice" is a valuable "battle and survival commodity". Not to be wasted in sea faring me thinks...
Plus it takes only one encounter with a TF and your battery down to 25% to convince you (once and for all):yep:

SteamWake
09-13-08, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the all the advice...I've been playing for awhile and have learned to just deal with the planes when I'm near land, but you're right after awhile it gets a little stupid. I would expect them if I'm close to a carrier.

I am playing the stock campaign as I've just gotten "Wolves" I played SH4 for a long time when it came out.

I reloaded and this time went around the southern part of Australia to enter the Coral Sea (gotta love not worrying about fuel) and caught up to a carrier group..shot off four torps at a Heavy Cruiser then dove..only to watch each and every one of them detonate well short in choppy seas...then the destroyers pounced on me for about 4 hours (game time) by the time I came up for air the carriers and cruisers were long gone...

I'll look into the mods now..thanks again.

In heavy seas use the slow speed setting and contact only fusing. It helps with the premies a bit.

Now they will just doink off the ships :rotfl: "Torpedo was a dud sir :doh: "