PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft Automatic Updates

banjo
09-10-08, 02:34 PM
Ever since 1.5, when you first open the game there is that small white screen with a couple loading lines that run across it. The screen only lasts a second or so but it says something about updates. I don't recall exactly. My question--is Ubisoft occasionally updating the game in small ways? The reason I ask is I have noticed a couple things recently I've not seen before, and I have not added any new mods.

Anyone have a clue?

SteamWake
09-10-08, 03:00 PM
I know that when I first installed it my firewall requested internet connection access for sh4.exe. I denied it but havent had any problems.

Dunno.

banjo
09-10-08, 03:08 PM
Not sure now but I think I allowed it.

aanker
09-10-08, 03:23 PM
I changed my shortcut from the (auto-update) gu.exe to sh4.exe because I didn't want to auto-update the modded version; I want to uninstall mods and manually update the un-modded stock version instead.

I think that there would be an announcement if another patch becomes available.

Art

banjo
09-10-08, 09:15 PM
Aanker, I agree. I wondered if they were making small adjustments w/o saying anything. Seeing some new stuff now and then is why I wondered.

SteamWake
09-10-08, 09:20 PM
Yes that would be brutal if they rolled a 'secret patch' and blew or mods all to hell.

I dont think that would happen.

Still... why the 'phone home' ? :hmm:

Arclight
09-11-08, 06:03 AM
Maybe they want to know if anyone actually bought it. :-?

No, probably just a feature to make sure everyone is running the latest version. Just as well, as the version on disk is pretty much unplayable...

As stated before, just change the shortcut so it points to SH4.exe instead of the auto-update. If there ever is another patch, you'll know soon enough. ;)