PDA

View Full Version : Odd TDC Behaviour - anyone else notice this?

Zero Niner
09-07-08, 08:10 PM
A possible reason why some torps seem to run too deep, in game.

I've noticed this rather quirky behaviour when locking a target using the 'L' key causes the depth setting for the selected torp tube to change to 20+ ft.

Here's what happens. Say I'm stalking a ship and lying in wait some distance in front of it. I've set the torps' depth, speed, fuze etc. When the ship lumbers into view, hit the L key. The torp depth setting dial instantly changes to something like 20+ ft even tho' I had earlier set it to less than 10.

Recycling the tubes will reset the depth setting to what I had earlier set it at.

I used to have one torp run too deep and miss the target as a result. Ever since I noticed this quirk, and took the necessary precautionary measures, I've never had a deep runner.

Anyone else notice this?

Rockin Robbins
09-07-08, 08:14 PM
No. Testing.... Please wait............................................

Nope. Doesn't happen. I'm running PE, RFB, RSRD, TMO alternate keyboard layout, 3000 yard-meter bearing plotter, in that order, in a sugar boat. I've never had the problem with my TMO installation with the Kraken either. Suggest immediate reinstall. If you preserve save game info you won't lose anything. Just select the option when you uninstall SH4. I keep a pristine write protected install so I can just copy the files over the contaminated version and go from there. But then I have more disk space than sense.

Zero Niner
09-07-08, 08:59 PM
Thanks, but no need to reinstall as I can live with it.

Mush Martin
09-07-08, 09:05 PM
Ive never ever had this symptom

Arclight
09-07-08, 11:57 PM
That's a first. :hmm:

Only reason I know why depth settings would change as you lock on is auto-target. Wouldn't know from experience, but that's what I've seen people describe who use it. :-?

LukeFF
09-08-08, 02:30 AM
Only happens with auto-targeting.

Nisgeis
09-08-08, 02:57 AM
Is it possible that it's setting the torpedo depth based on the draft of the target? Does the depth it sets it to change with the target, or does it always go to 20 feet?

Seminole
09-08-08, 08:32 AM
The relevant question as I see it is :

Can you reset the depth after locking on to the target? If so, then no problem...right?...just remember to do it.

For the life of me I can't recall the sim doing this when I used auto targeting. :nope: Of Course, come to think of it...I doubt if I was in the torpedo setting mode when I was acquiring a target lock. Probably I always did the settings first. Then aquired the target. It is entirely possible that it was doing this and I simply did not notice it. I do remember though that I stated once in a thread, that I got a lot more hits, and sinkings, when I set all depths to 5 feet no matter the target keel depth. Historically many American torpedos ran deeper than their setting and my impression was that the sim was trying to model this. I was simply correcting for that by setting to 5 feet depth..but then if the L lock changed the setting???...who knows???

SteamWake
09-08-08, 10:28 AM
Only happens with auto-targeting.

This...

If your using auto targeting it is a must to check your torpedoes depth before punching the fire button.

As described by the OP the depth will change whenever you 'lock' a target, and its usually wrong.

irata
09-09-08, 08:13 AM
hasnt happened here with manual targeting

kylania
09-15-08, 12:47 AM
I had this happen to be eariler tonight using TMO + manual targeting, but it might have been a misclick/drag issue too. Not entirely sure. What's happened more often is each tube will keep the same settings even if you set them differently.

SteamWake
09-15-08, 09:37 AM
Ive never had it happen with manual targeting, that doesent mean it cant happen.

I generally double check the settings anyways just prior to punching fire anyhow so it may have happend and I pass it off as having forgotten to set it. /shrug.

DeepIron
09-15-08, 09:42 AM
So far, I've only seen it in auto targeting. I always check all the torp speeds and running depths in my pre-attack anyway... :up:

banjo
09-15-08, 09:59 AM
It is a function of auto targeting that started with 1.5. It automatically sets torp depth about 3 ft above the depth of the target. If you reset it, it will stay there unless you unlock and relock the target. Then it will set the depth again. You can watch this happen. I find that it works well, once I figured out what was happening. I only feel the need to adjust the auto depth setting once in a while.

Wilcke
09-15-08, 10:20 AM
Learn, something new everyday!

SteamWake
09-15-08, 02:17 PM
It is a function of auto targeting that started with 1.5. It automatically sets torp depth about 3 ft above the depth of the target. If you reset it, it will stay there unless you unlock and relock the target. Then it will set the depth again. You can watch this happen. I find that it works well, once I figured out what was happening. I only feel the need to adjust the auto depth setting once in a while.

Strangely enough I found it is usually wrong :hmm:

Diopos
09-15-08, 02:26 PM

Strangely enough I found it is usually wrong :hmm:

Not a depth problem. It's just because you fire at one ship and watch another on the periscope!!!!:huh: :D