PDA

View Full Version : New Skipper needs help.

mcf1
09-07-08, 05:46 AM
Hi there.
I'm pretty new in SH4 and I have a problem with some damage.

To make it short. I got damaged after an encounter with a task force, the rudder transmission is damaged, along with a stern tube, both of them are now in the repair priority window and when I drag the mouse over the bar next to them it reads: 0.44 for the torp. tube and 0.73 for the rudder transmission so they can be repaired right?

I activated the damage control crew of and after 10-12 in game hours I check on the damage again but there is no progress made, the bars still read 0.44 and 0.73.
What am I doing wrong?

My sub is stationary and surfaced, I filled all the DC crew slots, and I activated them
Can I repair that damage, if yes then how?

Thanks in advance

Mush Martin
09-07-08, 05:54 AM
I believe that.
some damage is repaired at reduced function.
ie. limited slow rudder response vs. full swing normal rudder
response, so the idea is that not all damage can be one hundred
percent repaired at sea. some things need a shore facility to
fix fully.

at a guess anyway surely someone will be along with a better
defined answer.
M

Diopos
09-07-08, 06:22 AM
The way I see it as long as the "damage bar" is not 100%, the damage is repairable at sea. Maybe I'm wrong.
Is your Damage Control crew suffering from low efficiency or even more "asleep"?
Sometimes I order "General Quarters", you know extra hands in the damaged stations to facilitate repairs/maintenance. Sometimes I think it helps but I won't put my hand on the bible on that!

Seminole
09-07-08, 08:50 AM
:hmm: ....I've never had to "activate" damage control. NOPE :nope: If an item were repairable then my crews have always gone ahead and fixed whatever needed fixing, own their own initiative, without me having to do a thing...even with no crew in damage control. :shifty:

I go into TC and the messages pop up ... gizmo repaired...gizmmo repaired...gizmo repaired....ect..ect...:yep:

If something were destroyed 100% ... then only a refit at base has gotten the repairs done for me.

I understand in version 1.5 there is a special ability for repair that allows not only for speedier repairs but repairs on destroyed items while at sea too. I haven't had this ability yet so can't say this is true.

Probably not much help to you ,sorry....but this exhausts my knowledge base on repair issues ..repairs have never been a big issue with me for some reason. :o My normal state of luck and fate usually would decree that I be plagued constantly with repairs but not in the this instance...go figure.Karma takes a holiday I guess.

I believe that Mush Martin's response is the correct one.... that not everything can be repaired 100%. I must say though that I have never encountered this myself. All my repairs have been a return to 100% functionality if it were repairable at all.

(It is things like this that make us wish sometimes for a fuller, detailed,authorative game manual}

Coolhand01
09-07-08, 10:17 AM
You don't have silent running activated by chance do you? Not being a smart a**. I have done this and forgot it was on, and cursed the crew for not repairing damage....CH

mcf1
09-07-08, 11:36 PM
You don't have silent running activated by chance do you? Not being a smart a**. I have done this and forgot it was on, and cursed the crew for not repairing damage....CH
No I don't, my boat is surfaced.

Anyway thanks guys.
I loaded a previous save, engadged the same task force and this time I sunk 2 Fuso battleships and managed to slip away without being detected.

peabody
09-08-08, 12:52 AM
Hi there.
I'm pretty new in SH4 and I have a problem with some damage.

To make it short. I got damaged after an encounter with a task force, the rudder transmission is damaged, along with a stern tube, both of them are now in the repair priority window and when I drag the mouse over the bar next to them it reads: 0.44 for the torp. tube and 0.73 for the rudder transmission so they can be repaired right?

I activated the damage control crew of and after 10-12 in game hours I check on the damage again but there is no progress made, the bars still read 0.44 and 0.73.
What am I doing wrong?

My sub is stationary and surfaced, I filled all the DC crew slots, and I activated them
Can I repair that damage, if yes then how?

Thanks in advance
I have had the same thing only it was 12 DAYS and NOTHING changed. And I had the guy that fixes even destroyed stuff. But, unfortunately I have no idea why. I even took them off battlestations, made sure silent running was off, and clicked off the damage crew and let everyone rest for 2 full days then put them back to work....NOTHING changed. And I mean it the same way you do, not "nothing was repaired 100%" but that the numbers never changed like your .44 and .73. Got to a base for refit (not my assigned base) and everything was fixed instantly, so there is a bug crawling around in there somewhere.
Also my encounter was a task force and they decided to nail me with 6 DDs. So maybe it's just under the right circumstances.
One thing that I do know that has also happened to me and someone else is damage to rudder transmission OR dive planes transmission, even if fixed to 100% I have lost steering. I only bring that up because I noticed you had rudder transmission damage. So maybe the bug is in there somewhere.
Sorry I can't give an solution, but you are not alone.

Peabody

Hunter One
09-08-08, 01:56 AM
I experienced the same repair delay and I have the ability to repair even destroyed items. Sometimes it takes more than several days to effect repairs. On one cruise, after a particularly bad beating, it wasn't until I was almost at base that most of the repairs were done and some small bits were not finished until I docked.

I've noticed that crew fatigue may play a role in the repairs; I have switched crew members, particularly the orange highlighted sailors, out of damaged areas and the damage control party to bring the green bars up (temporarily assigning torpedo qualified PO w/ high mechanical ratings to the damage control station is best IMO). Someone else mentioned ringing general quarters, that has helped me when crew fatigue is low.

When at base look for replacement sailors w/ high mechanical ratings to assign to damage control. Replace those w/ the lowest rating, in time the green efficiency bars will increase.

Happy hunting.