PDA

View Full Version : .7z ?!

SteamWake
09-06-08, 09:55 AM
Downloaded a mod the other night.

It came in .7z compressed format.

Now I really feel like an old geezer instead of an old geek.

When the heck did .7z come along and can it be used for Win XP ?

mcf1
09-06-08, 09:59 AM
Yep, it can be used for windows and it's free.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Rockin Robbins
09-06-08, 09:59 AM
7 zip! It's my preferred archive manager because it's not intrusive and doesn't bug you to death. Do a google search, download and you'll find yourself deleting previous concoctions.

kylania
09-06-08, 10:29 AM
WinRaR can open 7z files as well.

Syxx_Killer
09-06-08, 01:47 PM
7-Zip is all I use now! I love it. If you try to take my 7-Zip away from me you will leave in a body bag! :lol: Seriously, it is a great little program. Before I started using it, I used WinZip and WinRar. I finally got fed up with WinRar because of all those stupidly annoying nag screens that tell me I am using a shareware version. Once I started using 7-Zip I never looked back. It is so easy to use and laid out very nicely. Give it a try. Once you try it, you won't want to go back to anything else. :D

Arclight
09-06-08, 03:26 PM
A good alternative to Winrar is IZArc. It's freeware, so no nagging and it can do 7z as well. I've been trying to find freeware solutions for everything. Not always possible though. :-?

Sailor Steve
09-06-08, 06:12 PM
7 zip! It's my preferred archive manager because it's not intrusive and doesn't bug you to death. Do a google search, download and you'll find yourself deleting previous concoctions.
:yep:

The best. It opens all other files easily and quickly, and creates zipped files just as easily and quickly.