PDA

View Full Version : Wierd missing eyeballs BUG please help.

Galen
09-03-08, 09:49 PM
:damn: Greetings folks, I have this small problem with my game..heh, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Besicaly, when I install the original game SH4 everything looks nice and neat ....afterwards I install 1.4 patch, and after that I install U-boat missions. This is where the problem happens - when I get inside the game and switch to bridge the seamen on the BRIDGE ....missing their EYEBALLS! Now I understand its not a big deal and the game works, but the fact that sailors who are on MY tower trying to spot enemy ships and planes have no EYEBALLS...:dead: ...its just sooo WRONG! I tried to reinstall the game few times and each time the problem comes back.
Both my games SH4 and U-boat and digital buys from direct2drive. I use windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Did not experience any problems of this nature with other games or simular missing texture/polygons glitches, so I doubt its drivers or video cards. I was thinking maybe its because I install 1.4 patch before I install U-boat addon, can THAT cause a screw up? and should I try to just clean install SH4 and U-boat on top of it with out the patch 1.4 if thats even possible? Any input would help, thanks in advance! :arrgh!:

leorfeo
09-04-08, 01:23 AM
Hi there Galen.

I got the same problem and as far as i'm informed everybody has it. I "heard" that its a problem primarily of nvidiacard. I got a 8800GTX and i have missing eyeballs of hell :88).

UBI claims its part of the there piratecopypolicy to make a stolen gamecopy unolayable but i think they just **** the gfx up. So dont be worried and get used to it. It does "only" interfere with your astethic affection but not the gameplay.

Leorfeo

Galen
09-04-08, 11:42 AM
Wow, I do run nvidia 8800 gtx in SLI mode. Would never think about blaming it on the video cards. I cant believe UBIsoft said it is an anti-piracy feature, both my games were bought from direct2drive.com, thats just silly.
Whats wierd is that only the conning tower watch is effected everyone else on the sub seem to have their eyes. That is the reason I never even thought about blaming it on the cards, because if that was so I figure ALL eyeballs on the whole sub would be missing. I wonder if our community modders or people who know the game in depth can figure this one out. :up:
Thanks for response.

SteamWake
09-04-08, 02:33 PM
I have the sunken eyeballs as well.

Its weird some of the crew has it others dont.

If you look real close the eyeballs are still there just sunk way into their heads.

Creepy :|\\

Ivan Putski
09-04-08, 02:54 PM
Like said some crew members have the problem, others don`t. I have it as well using an ATI X1300 card. Puts

dcb
09-04-08, 03:02 PM
UBI claims its part of the there piratecopypolicy to make a stolen gamecopy unolayable

I can't remember Ubisoft saying anything like that about the missing eyeballs, especially as the latest patches (1.5 included) have removed all form of copy protection.
Anyway, I DO have the genuine game installed, with the genuine U-boat add-on and my bridge crew are still missing their eyeballs.
However I'm playing it on a NV 8800GT vid card, which is the culprit IMO, but only under Vista. I tried the game under XP and the eyeballs are where they should be, so I think it's an unfortunate combination between 8800GT and lousy Vista drivers that is generating this bug.

Galen
09-04-08, 06:51 PM
Like said some crew members have the problem, others don`t. I have it as well using an ATI X1300 card. Puts

Well if people who have ATI X1300 cards have missing eyeballs, and I have no idea if its actually missing texture or like SteamWake noted just sunk deeper inside the head because the camera angles on the bridge are fixed, unless you using different camera modes, or MODs that change the camera angles and allows you to move freely though the boat and such its hard to look into salor's eyes. Maybe I should try that.
The point is this, somehow Vista, and or some video cards, possible drivers themselves or game mechanics - the way the code is writen, also possible U-boat missions update - I will try to find out when exactly the eyes go missing. But definately some people have this problem and some dont. I personally think it its Vista. Thats my gut feeling. I am running Vista 64 Ultimate. If folks who have this problem can post their systems, video cards they are using we can prolly try and identify whats casing this. Also folks who dont have the problem can post too so we can cross reference which system combinations are not effected by the missing/sunk eyeballs bug. Thanks much for the help. :yep:

Galen
09-04-08, 07:04 PM
Also I would like to clear something, I keep saying Bridge, I later realized thats a wrong term for this, people would prolly think I am talking about Command Bridge inside the sub, that is not the case. In reality I am talking about Conning tower OUTSIDE the sub, because thats the only place that has seamen with missing eyeballs. All sailors inside the sub have their eyes.
This makes me really consider that its just some bug inside the code of the game which can be easily fixed by the dev team, if pointed out. I am thinking if this was the operating system, drivers, video card problem - all seamen would have their eyes missing so it has got to be the code related to conning tower or maybe like we said earlier its the combination of all these things. If any of you have any ideas please post I would really love for this problem to be resolved. Thanks.
:cool:
Galen.

Ivan Putski
09-04-08, 08:19 PM
Galen, I think you`re close to it. mines a SH4 Gold DVD, just got it a couple weeks ago. I have 3 crew members with missing eyes, but only sometimes, sometimes they`re rendered perfect, and this happens at random times. Puts

vickers03
09-05-08, 04:10 AM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133643
not really a solution yet..

SteamWake
09-06-08, 09:51 AM
UBI claims its part of the there piratecopypolicy to make a stolen gamecopy unolayable

I can't remember Ubisoft saying anything like that about the missing eyeballs,

At some point there was a 'copy protection' scheme which would make your crew members flat in 2D and make their eyes bug out in 3D a rather comical effect. It also gave some of us amusement when someone would post "Hey my crew is flat" and revealed them as having a pirated copy.

After that people would knee jerk react whenever any graphical anomolie was encountered that 'you too must be a pirate'.

As we all know the sunken eyeball is a known bug for legitimate users. Wether or not it is an artifact of the clever protection scheme is unknown.

ZeeWolf
09-06-08, 10:37 AM
Could it be your video cards settings? I was wondering if you guys with the
8800's who do not have this issue would post their settings to compare with
those who do. I just upgraded from a 7200 to a 8600 and WOW! :D the deference
is miraculous. It went up in smoke three hours after I got it:huh: (Thanks Tech
4 less :down: ) the replacement is a MSI Twin Turbo 8600 GT from newegg.com. Took
two days to process the order and I am tracking it now, will be here Monday.
Meanwhile in the short time I had the 8600 from tech 4 less I noticed while
using nHancer the dramatic differences possible with the settings. Hence my
curiosity.

Anyway I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

ZeeWolf

Task Force
09-06-08, 09:59 PM
Wasnt this a stock bug where the eye actuly is backwards on the head, Concave instead of convex.;)

sh3rules
10-06-08, 08:39 PM
I also have the same creepy problem. Using Vista with a NV 8500GT (I know, I should change the card).

Madox58
10-06-08, 09:30 PM
I have yet to see this happen.
I have an ATI Radeon XPress 200 on my NoteBook.
Perhaps, at times, the eyes get inverted.
Since any view of the back side of an object in the SH Games
is a clear view?
That would explain the invisability part.
Now why are they flipped?
:hmm:
Are there more then one set of eyes and some are not inverted correctly?

vickers03
10-07-08, 05:09 AM
some time ago i inserted a unified render controller
into marine.dat and the eyes came back in position,
but the lightning was a bit off & the eye color was
all red, maybe it's worth checking again:hmm:

Webster
10-08-08, 08:13 PM
some time ago i inserted a unified render controller
into marine.dat and the eyes came back in position,
but the lightning was a bit off & the eye color was
all red, maybe it's worth checking again:hmm:

will you explore further and see if you may be onto a fix? :yep:

Hartmann
10-11-08, 03:13 PM
The solution ?? a sun glasses mod :88) :cool:

Rilder
10-12-08, 06:37 AM
The solution ?? a sun glasses mod :88) :cool:

Even better solution: Replace their heads with Gorn heads.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4747/gornun6.jpg

"Yes Captain, Surface the boat!"

Seeadler
10-12-08, 07:09 AM
As far as I know, this is a problem only on Vista systems. Vista comes per default with DirectX 10 which is in most cases backwards compatibel to DX9 so you can run your DX9 games also on Vista under DX10.

But perhaps here we find a case where it's not compatibel, maybe there are functions used by the devs to positioning objects in such a way which is no longer recommended to use under DX10. SH4 was developed within the DX9 era, where it was sometimes hard to find upcomming DX10 specifications and programming guidlines.

vickers03
10-12-08, 03:28 PM
As far as I know, this is a problem only on Vista systems. Vista comes per default with DirectX 10 which is in most cases backwards compatibel to DX9 so you can run your DX9 games also on Vista under DX10.

But perhaps here we find a case where it's not compatibel, maybe there are functions used by the devs to positioning objects in such a way which is no longer recommended to use under DX10. SH4 was developed within the DX9 era, where it was sometimes hard to find upcomming DX10 specifications and programming guidlines.

no it's not vista only. i'm on XP and have no eyes with
an ATI3870,
NVIDIA 260GT = no problems at all..:hmm:

LukeFF
10-13-08, 12:28 AM
The odd thing for me is that the crewmen's eyes were positioned just fine with my GeForce 8000, but now, with my new ATI 4870, only the crewmen's eyes for the bridge watch and gun positions are positioned farther back in the head than they should be. It's a very strange bug, for sure.

flakmonkey
11-28-08, 04:23 PM
I seem to get this too, the eyes look kind of browny/red as if theyve been inverted, only happens occasionally, i dont think it can be an nvidia specific problem since im running intel4500mhd integrated laptop graphics (yes i know integrated gfx suck... seriously stop laughing!)

Anyway heres a pic...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/tris1066/SH4Img2008-11-28_212655_999.jpg

gimpy117
11-29-08, 02:43 AM
Hi there Galen.

I got the same problem and as far as i'm informed everybody has it. I "heard" that its a problem primarily of nvidiacard. I got a 8800GTX and i have missing eyeballs of hell :88).

Leorfeo

oh no...ATI has the same problem...

banjo
11-29-08, 01:29 PM
Happens to me but comes and goes. I'll go into the Command room and the diving officer has no pupils. Come back and there they are. 7600 GS with XP.

Sirkam
12-01-08, 04:36 AM
It's a stock bug (a new one) from UBM. And Ubisoft do not seem to be doing anything about the bug and anothers one.

XanderF
03-09-09, 01:40 AM
It's a stock bug (a new one) from UBM. And Ubisoft do not seem to be doing anything about the bug and anothers one.

Sooooo...has there been any progress on this? A mod, maybe, that could fix it, or....?

I'm running the game w/ U-Boat missions, Radeon vid card, WinXP. Latest TM installed (which, unless I'm mistaken, changes some of the crew models - could this be the problem?) Going to battlestations and back again does seem to 'fix' it fairly often...but it's only really switching crew AROUND.

IE., the old bridge crew with the missing eyes doesn't come back after secure from battlestations. (You can try this by calling GQ off and on a few times and, eventually, the same people show up again with the missing eyes)

XanderF
03-10-09, 03:34 PM
I've seen a number of threads on this, here, with no good resolution. Things gleaned:

It's an Ubisoft bug (well, gee, thanks)
It's an nVidia bug. Or ATI bug. Or both. (IE - I doubt it's video card related - both ATI and nVidia users see it)
Calling battlestations and then turning it off "fixes" it (it doesn't - instead, it just puts new people in different positions at the stations. The old peopl that remain still have the problem, the new ones don't. IE - this SEEMS to be an issue with some character models. Those that have the bug always have it.)
It's a Vista bug. Or DX10 bug. (Nope - XP users are reporting it. Including me, on WinXP.)
It's copy protection. UR A PIRATE!! (Nope - heck, I even re-bought it on Steam so I wouldn't need to keep the stupid DVD in the drive. You can even see it in my account, right here (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197990169649/games))If you haven't seen the bug, this was posted in another thread that shows it:

I seem to get this too, the eyes look kind of browny/red as if theyve been inverted, only happens occasionally, i dont think it can be an nvidia specific problem since im running intel4500mhd integrated laptop graphics (yes i know integrated gfx suck... seriously stop laughing!)

Anyway heres a pic...

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa186/tris1066/SH4Img2008-11-28_212655_999.jpg

Kapitan_Phillips
03-10-09, 06:10 PM
/merged

Etienne
03-10-09, 10:09 PM
Same thing here. XP, Nvidia, legal DVD copy (Although mine doesn't ask for the drive, go figure...)

Never really noticed it before today - it's a heck of a lot better than what the crewmembers looked like in SHIII on my old laptop! :-D

But yeah, nobody's got eyeballs. It's kind of creepy.

Petur
03-11-09, 12:24 PM
I have this aswell :shifty:

XanderF
03-13-09, 02:06 AM
Same thing here. XP, Nvidia, legal DVD copy (Although mine doesn't ask for the drive, go figure...)

Never really noticed it before today - it's a heck of a lot better than what the crewmembers looked like in SHIII on my old laptop! :-D

But yeah, nobody's got eyeballs. It's kind of creepy.

Soooo....yeah, is this fixable? Mod workaround of it? SOMETHING?

Nisgeis
03-13-09, 03:31 PM
It's fixable with side effects of glow in the dark eyes. Or red colour as Vickers said.

XanderF
03-20-09, 01:21 AM
It's fixable with side effects of glow in the dark eyes. Or red colour as Vickers said.

Yeah, but, I mean, there's got to me some other way. A mod should be able to do this fairly easily, no? Just update the 'bugged' crew models?

Armistead
03-21-09, 08:17 AM
I would almost laugh, but I'm sure it's not funny. I've never seen it. The only time I've heard it mentioned is pirated copies or DL versions. I had a 7800, now a 9600gt and all my crew has eyes.

XanderF
03-22-09, 01:58 AM
I would almost laugh, but I'm sure it's not funny. I've never seen it. The only time I've heard it mentioned is pirated copies or DL versions. I had a 7800, now a 9600gt and all my crew has eyes.

Interestingly, I did a driver update recently, and upon hopping in the game thought it might have been fixed! EVERYONE in the con had eyes! I popped up to the bridge, and the guy next to me had eyes! Looked at the lookouts, and...nope, no eyes. :x

Problem is that it ISN'T every crewmember, so it is sometimes easy to miss.

Very frustrating.

skookum
03-22-09, 02:40 AM
There are other mesh bugs too. The conning tower compass for instance.

Nisgeis
03-27-09, 09:09 AM
I may have a fix for this, without the nasty side effect. Please see http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=1073033#post1073033 if you are interested in testing. Not really sure where a good place to put a test file is with FF going belly up.

Nisgeis
03-27-09, 01:12 PM
Does this bug affect the U-Boat crews too?

Nisgeis
03-28-09, 01:53 PM
Please see here for a fix:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149948

bobdina
03-31-09, 04:59 PM
I have an old nvidia 6200 256 mb, 3gb ram p4 2.8. I"m running pe-4 and I have no problems. I have seen crewmen with blue eyes , brown eyes, and black eyes . I have yet to see the sunken eyes. I'm running x-p also

Nisgeis
03-31-09, 05:05 PM
Welcome aboard bobdina!

bobdina
03-31-09, 05:16 PM
Thanks really haven't had to ask questions because so far all the answers I found thru the search mode.