SteamWake
08-28-08, 07:45 PM
Check out the fuel left :huh: :rotfl:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh312/UlteriorModem/Cuttingitclose.jpg

peabody
08-28-08, 08:13 PM
Check out the fuel left :huh: :rotfl:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh312/UlteriorModem/Cuttingitclose.jpg

Be a shame to have to pour that bottle of scotch into the engine to make it to Midway.:rotfl:

Peabody

Ivan Putski
08-28-08, 08:42 PM
I drew the Bungo Suido for my second patrol, I completed my assignments, and was told to proceed on my own, or head back to base. I headed back to Pearl, and from the get go it was apparent I was`nt going to make it, so Midway here we come. Soon after it hit me, we might not make Midway, we`ll be running on fumes. Sure enough, just before Midway, I get a message "Sir we`re out of fuel", a few seconds later the base icon appeared, I did`nt look a gift horse in the mouth, I pounced on that, refueled, rearmed, waited my four hours, and headed to Pearl. Puts:D

mcf1
08-29-08, 03:29 AM
I drew the Bungo Suido for my second patrol, I completed my assignments, and was told to proceed on my own, or head back to base. I headed back to Pearl, and from the get go it was apparent I was`nt going to make it, so Midway here we come. Soon after it hit me, we might not make Midway, we`ll be running on fumes. Sure enough, just before Midway, I get a message "Sir we`re out of fuel", a few seconds later the base icon appeared, I did`nt look a gift horse in the mouth, I pounced on that, refueled, rearmed, waited my four hours, and headed to Pearl. Puts:D

Lucky you :up:

EDIT: @SteamWake which mod are you using?

IronPerch
08-29-08, 06:01 AM
I also ran out of fuel round 20 miles before midway after a very succesfull patrol. I was so frustrated (didn't save the game) that i decided to sink my boat and end my career by that way :damn: . While doing that i noticed that i was moving :o ! So i stabilized my boat... After a while and a lot of time compression i reached Midway!!!! I was only able to travell while submerged, so i had to watch the CO2-level carefully.

I guess this was a bug, but i reasoned for myself that "as an experienced skipper" i utilized the North Pasific current (actually flowing that direction) to reach my destination, though i was able to travel the plotted course... :lol:

Seminole
08-29-08, 07:18 AM
I never understood why the designers choose to make running out of fuel such a major deal, reality wise..

The accounts of submarine service in WWII are chocked full of instances where skippers found themselves stranded in distress but where rescued by the Navy and didn't get booted to desk jobs.

On the other hand I do like it being included because it is another thing you have to monitor closely and so adds interest to the sim.

Nunya
08-29-08, 08:49 AM
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was hoping someone could help me. And since this is on topic:

I usually play with "unlimited fuel". The reason, is because I started a career in Java....was sent to my patrol area...did my patroling....and was reassigned to Fremantle, which I did not have enough fuel to reach. I ended up having to redo the patrol because of this.

Yesterday I decide to try playing again with limited fuel. I was leaving Midway and was assigned to patrol around Shanghi. My sub (Balao class) used up over 50% of the fuel before even getting to my patrol area. I did most of my transit on the surface at "standard" speed.

What am I doing wrong where I used up so much fuel before even reaching my patrol area.

SteamWake
08-29-08, 10:16 AM
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was hoping someone could help me. And since this is on topic:

I usually play with "unlimited fuel". The reason, is because I started a career in Java....was sent to my patrol area...did my patroling....and was reassigned to Fremantle, which I did not have enough fuel to reach. I ended up having to redo the patrol because of this.

Yesterday I decide to try playing again with limited fuel. I was leaving Midway and was assigned to patrol around Shanghi. My sub (Balao class) used up over 50% of the fuel before even getting to my patrol area. I did most of my transit on the surface at "standard" speed.

What am I doing wrong where I used up so much fuel before even reaching my patrol area.

Your either going to fast or two slow. In an un-modded game best speed / range is typically around 9.5 knots. You can set this by clicking the tab under the speed telegraph then clicking the selected speed. Mods typically have a 'best speed' and is usually described in the mods documents. For instance in RFB best speed/range is ahead standard.

One other thing to watch out for is if your batteries get damaged, even if they get repaired will never take on a 100% charge and you will endlessly try to recharge them robbing you of mileage. You can manually turn off battery charching.

EDIT: @SteamWake which mod are you using?

Thats RFB (real fleet boat) :up:

SteamWake
08-29-08, 10:19 AM
I never understood why the designers choose to make running out of fuel such a major deal, reality wise..

The accounts of submarine service in WWII are chocked full of instances where skippers found themselves stranded in distress but where rescued by the Navy and didn't get booted to desk jobs.

On the other hand I do like it being included because it is another thing you have to monitor closely and so adds interest to the sim.

Kind of answerd your own question :rotfl:

Im thinking they dident have enough time to code in tenders although they do show up in the add on at least in the U-boat campaigns, havent seen them in the PTO yet.

SteamWake
08-29-08, 10:25 AM
While doing that i noticed that i was moving :o ! So i stabilized my boat... After a while and a lot of time compression i reached Midway!!!!

Well duh.. just cause your out of gas you still have batteries left. If you run out of those too then your screwed :damn: So in the example I posted I wasent totally screwed as I could have reached Midway easly on Batts but posted just for the fun of it.

It used to be a 'cheat' where you could run on batts submerged untill they went flat, surface (even without engines running and no fuel) recharge the batterys, rinse/repeat. Some kind of mystical solar charging :sunny:

That has been fixed :rock:

mcf1
08-29-08, 10:29 AM
Thats RFB (real fleet boat) :up:

Nunya
08-29-08, 10:57 AM

Your either going to fast or two slow. In an un-modded game best speed / range is typically around 9.5 knots. You can set this by clicking the tab under the speed telegraph then clicking the selected speed. Mods typically have a 'best speed' and is usually described in the mods documents. For instance in RFB best speed/range is ahead standard.

One other thing to watch out for is if your batteries get damaged, even if they get repaired will never take on a 100% charge and you will endlessly try to recharge them robbing you of mileage. You can manually turn off battery charching.

I'm using RFB and TMO. I've always felt that fuel usage was pretty high, even in stock. It really surprised me when I was past "bingo" and I had not reach my patrol area. I hadn't even used any fuel chasing ships yet.

Using "unlimited fuel" doesn't really bother me. I guess I'll have to keep using it.

Ivan Putski
08-29-08, 11:15 AM
I`m also using RFB/RSRDC, that was the most enjoyable missionI`ve had so far. It adds that uncertainty factor, I for one would also like to see sub tenders added. Puts

SteamWake
08-29-08, 11:24 AM
I'm using RFB and TMO.

Arent those two incompatible?

Nunya
08-29-08, 12:06 PM
I'm using RFB and TMO.

Sorry...You're right...I'm running RSRD/TMO

Quillan
08-29-08, 12:11 PM
You can't run them together, but you can switch between them via JGSME or make two installations and install one on each. TMO also has changed the surface speed so Ahead Standard is your most economical speed.

SteamWake
08-29-08, 12:26 PM
I'm using RFB and TMO.

Sorry...You're right...I'm running RSRD/TMO

Ahhh... nevermind :sunny:

I havent plugged in RSRD yet so I cant say how it effects milage.

I can say that if I had not reduced my speed in the root post to ahead slow I would have never had made it. /shrug.

IronPerch
08-29-08, 01:58 PM
While doing that i noticed that i was moving :o ! So i stabilized my boat... After a while and a lot of time compression i reached Midway!!!!

Well duh.. just cause your out of gas you still have batteries left. If you run out of those too then your screwed :damn: So in the example I posted I wasent totally screwed as I could have reached Midway easly on Batts but posted just for the fun of it.

It used to be a 'cheat' where you could run on batts submerged untill they went flat, surface (even without engines running and no fuel) recharge the batterys, rinse/repeat. Some kind of mystical solar charging :sunny:

That has been fixed :rock:

Well... i also used my batteries before reaching that point and i'm also aware what happens after that. So it must have been the solar charging effect :p... wonder when that have been fixed? I have the latest RFB/RSRD versions for 1.5 update? ....Damn i cheated anyway...:cry:

SteamWake
08-29-08, 02:12 PM
Well... i also used my batteries before reaching that point and i'm also aware what happens after that. So it must have been the solar charging effect :p... wonder when that have been fixed? I have the latest RFB/RSRD versions for 1.5 update? ....Damn i cheated anyway...:cry:

Im beginning to wonder if this 'cheat' hasent snuck its way back in with RFB. It was definitaly squahed by an 'offical' patch at one point cant remember which 1.3 perhaps.

But I have noticed on a couple of those 'patrol' missions where I cut my engines and bob around to save fuel the batteries continue to charge. Never monitored fuel usage though.

I just passed it off as the crew ran one engine tied to the generator while we were swimming, fishing, and sunbathing :rotfl:

While sort of on that topic you can submerge, and surface with no engines running at all :roll:

Quillan
08-29-08, 03:09 PM
If you're sitting on the surface even at a dead stop, you're using fuel. I've watched it before. A couple of times where I had orders to patrol a certain area and it was low traffic, I'd just sit in one spot within the required distance of the star and crank up the time compression. I still burned 1-2% of my fuel load in a week of sitting there.

buddha95
08-30-08, 11:58 AM
squeek

Arclight
09-01-08, 04:22 AM
squeek:huh:

Closest I ever cut it was 2% left. Command kept sending new patrol orders every time I called in. :shifty:

Crew reported "out of fuel" long before Midway, but turned out we still had 5% in "reserve" or something. :roll: