PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Damage model

R1830
08-26-08, 04:05 PM
Hey, last night caught 2 carriers coming out of Bungo Straight, fired a full spread from about 3000 yds due to some destroyers prosecuting me. One hit each for sure, maybe two on one, they both went down. Just wondering if anyone else heas noticed carriers going down perhaps a little easy or am I just lucky.

It was very gratifying to see them go down, I have just switched to manual targeting and it seems to be working out for me.

AVGWarhawk
08-26-08, 04:44 PM
Sounds like your game is not modded. Look over in the mod forums at mods offered to make things a bit more difficult then the stock game. But, yes, one torp for a carrier is not enough.

Webster
08-26-08, 05:06 PM
read this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=137911

it talks about the games damage model issues

R1830
08-26-08, 05:27 PM
I am running V1.5 with TMO and RSRD, both of which appear to be working in every respect.

It was 2 Shokaku class carriers both hit near the stern, one rolled over eventually, the other sunk by the stern. Glad to hear I'm not alone.

AVGWarhawk
08-26-08, 07:08 PM
TMO I believe will run with the Natural Sinking Mod or NSM. I do not think TMO has changed any zones on the vessels. As Websters points out the issue with that vessel as well.

Webster
08-26-08, 07:21 PM
think of the ships as floating on top of a dozen or so balloons or spheres. :hmm:

now to place damage the game has zones much like the balloons and they are also evenly spread accross the ship. they apply the actual damage that changes how the ship acts as well as the visual damage effects as needed.

now all ships are supposed to have the right amount of balloons for its size and weight. :up: and the right amount of zones to react to game conditions.

now the reality of whats in the game is, not all ships have all the balloons they need. some ships have missing balloons (torpedos do no damage when they hit) some ships just dont have the balloons location on the ship in order to be able to show visual damage there.

with some ships you can blow the stern off and the ship steams ahead at full power with propellers spinning yet it has no engines, no propeller shafts, hell it doesnt even have an engine room. this is because of missing damage zones that tell it where to apply damage. no damage zone means no damage is given to the ship.

its a product of the game not being completely finished and it would take a hell of a lot of work to find all of the broken or incomplete zones and spheres to finish the ships.

one of the heavy cruisers, maya i think, shows this well by going decks awash with one torpedo midships and yet needs several more to sink her. it has one balloon in middle and one bow and one stern so it can barely float with one gone even though its not that badly damaged. what happens is when a ship has missing stuff they beef up what is has so it floats correctly with 3 spheres instead of the 12 or more it should have.

now before i get replys saying im wrong on this or that number, i am just giving random numbers to explain things. i have no idea exactly how many zones or spheres each ship has.

Arclight
08-26-08, 11:58 PM
Still confused about that whole mess. :damn:

But I'm not exactly an experienced modder anyway. :lol:

Even with NSM, Shokaku still tends to take any damage pretty badly. Instead of sinking outright, it lists until the edge of the flightdeck is submerged, second torp will finish it off.

Like WEBSTER said, it's probably a result of pushing the deadline a bit too much. Maybe, someday, it'll get fixed in a mod like NSM. For the moment, we'll just have to live with it.

LukeFF
08-27-08, 01:00 AM
Like WEBSTER said, it's probably a result of pushing the deadline a bit too much. Maybe, someday, it'll get fixed in a mod like NSM. For the moment, we'll just have to live with it.

Or RFB. ;)

Diopos
08-27-08, 02:14 AM
Interesting thread guys!
Makes me wonder if there's a "critical hit" mechanism. You know as in: bomb goes through wooden deck, level 2, level3, breaks in the ammo compartment or boiler room and then explodes.

Arclight
08-27-08, 09:31 AM
Or RFB. ;)I've been playing RFB for a day or 2 now, and I must say I'm really impressed. If it fixed that, I'd be completely blown away. :lol: Makes me wonder if there's a "critical hit" mechanism.Well, there is. Some compartments (engine room, ammo bunker, fuel bunker, etc) have a critical hit chance. Like 5% of engine room strikes resulting in "instant kill" (dunno if it's actually 5%).

tomoose
08-27-08, 11:34 AM
I'd be tickled pink getting a hit on anything at 3000yards, let alone sinking it, LOL.

I think I may have come across those two carriers going into Bungo but damned if I could catch them and I wasn't going to follow them in!!!:p

LukeFF
08-28-08, 01:53 AM
I've been playing RFB for a day or 2 now, and I must say I'm really impressed. If it fixed that, I'd be completely blown away. :lol:

All of the stock ships are getting a complete damage modeling overhaul for RFB. :up: Haven't got to any of the warships yet, but right now I can say the damage modeling for the merchants is superb. I think everyone who plays RFB will be very impressed with what we're doing.

The General
08-28-08, 02:18 AM
This is terriffic news, thanks for the update Luke!

By-the-way, how do you guys implement updates to RFB? Do you put out patches? Are they listed on the Post #1 of the RFB thread or at the end of the thread, say post #496 or something? Obviously as time goes on it would be tough to find these patches without wading through tons of posts, so putting them on Post #1 would be best.

Arclight
08-28-08, 08:30 AM
I'm betting that by now all the modders put more time into production then Ubi. :rotfl: I think everyone who plays RFB will be very impressed with what we're doing.I'm allready impressed, just because the team took on the challenge. On my short adventure exploring the models it became very clear that there was a good deal of work to be done. For me, being completely inexperienced in these matters, it was simply undoable. Wouldn't even know where to begin. :doh: