Mikhayl
08-05-08, 02:45 PM
---

lucagaeta
08-05-08, 04:31 PM
:D very nice work:rock:

Xantrokoles
08-07-08, 03:11 PM
I don't know a lot of people who are able to work on this claas of 3d modelling.
But nice you have uploaded it.:up:

Buster_Dee
08-09-08, 08:01 PM
I'd like to play with your Type II a bit. I've been putzing with modelling/texturing for about 3 years. Self-taught, and huge gaps in my basic understanding. I have Lightwave (which still has me confounded) and a couple of cheapy programs (3DC for a modelling, and UU3D for mapping). To be honest, I don't even know how you pull the pieces into a whole model. I'm guessing you don't merge everything. Can you give me a dumbed-down version of how you would have proceeded next?

I'm buried in making a B24 cockpit for a Targetware mod at the moment, but subs are a nagging topic for me, and this is very impressive.

Do you know if SH4 uses bump maps? Some of those details (e.g., the door rivets) might be done that way.

skwasjer
08-10-08, 06:46 AM
Edit : for Skwas' if you read this, out of curiosity : If you use the "obj+2nd channel uvw" import method, you can move the object around the scene, do the lightmap, save it individually as uvw and import it along the original non-moved object (you don't export the object used to make the 2nd channel).
When you use the "obj+2nd channel obj", can you also move that 2nd object around and export it as is (ie offsetted) or do you need to have the 1st & 2nd channel obj's on the exact same positionning in the 3D studio ?
If I've read correctly, S3D only imports the texture coordinates of the 2nd object anyway so it shouldn't care if the object is offsetted and maybe even with a different shape (but same vertex count etc) ?

Yes, Mikhayl, that's correct, although S3D will check if all the objs from channel 2 and up match the geometry of the first (meaning, same vertex count, same uv indices count (uv texture coordinate count may differ) etc) and whether or not materials are properly assigned. S3D will only use the uv-data from that point on and merges it with the uv-data of the primary model.

There is however always a risk of faces getting reordered by a 3D program (unrelated to OBJ vs UVW), causing the uv-data to get out of sync and causing incorrect renderings in game. In practice, to avoid this one would always have to load the additional channels before doing any manipulation and export the model and all channels from 3D program and reimport with S3D again. But I've not run into this problem yet (and neither have you or others is my impression), so no worries here...

[edit] So yes, even if the model of 2nd OBJ and up is scaled, skewed, rotated, translated, and whatnot, this does not matter.

Buster_Dee
08-10-08, 07:10 AM
I was talking about your interior work. Thanks for responding.

What's a channel LoL. I don't have 3DS, as I want to pay my house off 1st :) I hope to have it at some point though. I do own Lightwave, but I have not learned it yet. It crashes when I've textured with masked TGAs. I'm too deep in a current project to sort that, so I'm sticking with my old 3DC (modeller) and UU3D (mapper) for now. They make sense to me; the professional tools have me stumped.

Still, your comments are helpful in getting a bit of a handle on the "bigger" picture.

The poly count looks huge. Is that about how the SH4 stock objects are?

Buster_Dee
08-10-08, 02:55 PM
Mikhail, that helps some more. I've only ever used a single "channel," but there may be a hundred different textures in that. Some are very small (e.g., 16x16) and used where I can wrap/repeat (like the jacket of a flexible cable. I may have a single "band" that repeats to give the impression of the flexible jacket). Some textures are large, where complex detailing looks like it would be better done with a texture, and the ability to have some of its details pull double duty (a screw head, a spot of chipped paint) mitigates/warrants the size penalty. The only other textures I've fooled with are bump maps. Light maps are completely outside my experience at the moment. I can't picture how you would UV map lighting. Guess I'd need to see it done.

I'm not presuming to "teach" anything here. I'm exposing my methods to constructive criticism.

Am I right to assume that you would have mapped as much as possible to existing SH4 textures?

BlackCatx3
08-16-08, 03:24 AM
Mikhayl,

I own SH3 and am wondering how I can export the 3D model of the type IXD2 uboat so that I can import it into Lightwave 3D to make renderings of it or possibly import it into 3DSMax, then export it as and .obj or .3ds file so it can be imported into Lightwave.

Any help would be appreciated, or if you could post a link to an appropriate thread that has this info.

Thanks!

BlackCatx3
08-16-08, 05:07 PM
Mikhayl,

Thanks, I realize now that I am in an SH4 forum!

To clarify things, if I purchase the Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific Gold Edition (which includes the Uboat Missions expansion) and then download the S3D program, I will be able to extract the IXD2 model as an .obj file?

Will I actually need to install the Silent Hunter 4 Game and the Uboat Missions expansion to my computer BEFORE I can extract the IXD2 from the .dat file, or can the .dat file be copied or accessed from the DVD by the S3D program?

I ask this because my computer is a P4 3Ghz with 1gig of RAM and a Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb graphics card (the underpowered component of my system). Not sure if my graphics card will handle SH4 at all... I have been searching for a IXD2 3d model and the one in this Silent Hunter game seems to be the only model that exists of this boat.

Again thanks for your help!

John_Doe_16
08-30-08, 05:50 AM
Hi :-)

I just wanted to ask if there has been progress with the better Type II torpedo-room?
(i.e. if someone is currently finishing it?)...
Unfortunately, I don't have time or knowledge to do it myself, but the first screens look so promising, that it would be very, very nice to have it in the game :-) In fact I was looking forward to its release since the first screens were posted...

Even without visible crew in the torpedo-room it would be a very great addition :-)

Also, the better Type II exterior model sounds very promising...

All the best :-)

John_Doe_16

Danevang
11-30-09, 03:10 PM
The Filefront links are broken...are these files still available somewhere? :)

Tomi_099
12-03-09, 08:59 AM
The Filefront links are broken...are these files still available somewhere? :)

-------------------------------------------

This is the next step !! :salute:

http://174.133.66.250/radioroom/showthread.php?t=141858