PDA

View Full Version : TheGreyWolves.com!

Madox58
07-29-08, 08:11 PM
As with any new command, change is something you can naturally expect.

Some things you will be able to piece together as time goes on without a doubt,
but I am happy to point out that some changes will be obvious.

From the release of GWX 2.0 for SH3 until now,
danlisa has been kind enough to host and manage the GWX website on his personal webspace.
Somewhat recently,
danlisa was informed that his free webspace hosting will need to be migrated
to a new server & URL.

In so doing they would no longer allow more that one user created site
or support the file transfer process he used to update & host the GWX Homepage.
So he couldn't migrate it without losing other important personal material.

Danlisa,
with much respect,
thank you for the time you spent managing the GWX website,
with over 100,000 hits within six months...
it tells me that we all did something pretty damn cool!
Thanks for the part you played in our success!
:up:

Interesting thing though... when life chunks lemons at ya. You get to make LEMONADE!

Given the determination of the team and the obvious skill everyone brings to the table.
The bump in the road brought us an opportunity the team has naturally
and selflessly adopted and invested in.

For the first time ever, the Grey Wolves Project has its own domain in webspace!

www.TheGreyWolves.com (http://www.thegreywolves.com/)

We've just gotten it ported over and will be updating it in the near future.

Additionally, since I am the new project manager ,
:D

all you GWX devs and long-standing crewmen better start polishing your boots
and enjoy your last days on leave.
I've decided to start the clock running much earlier!
The GWX4 production phase for the first build begins in two weeks.

The other two months of leave that you were expecting... are CANCELLED!

We are going to run a tight ship and are going to run silent to maintain focus on the work at hand.

Anyone who arrives late can take their potato peeler to the galley and meet with your old buddy, Fritz!

Sure it will take a fair amount of time to execute the GWX4 release for SH4... but incase you haven't noticed?
The Grey Wolves never give up,
and we aren't going anywhere.

Penny, would you please wax your whip and pop anybody who complains?

That will be all. Now stop looking at us funny! The project manager has spoken!
:yep:

stabiz
07-29-08, 08:27 PM
Hehe, I love the seriousness and bravado! You go, girls! (See, Penelope, this time I didnt say boys:cool:)

danlisa
07-30-08, 02:21 AM
:oops: Thanks mate.

Woohoo, the Wolves go dot com.:rock:Very Cool. I extend my personal thanks to the selfless team member who took the website on board (at personal expense) to ensure it continued to serve anyone looking for GWX info & files. You, Sir, rock.:up:
Edit: Don't start a flame war for any reason. -NS

Penelope_Grey
07-30-08, 04:13 AM
Penny, would you please wax your whip and pop anybody who complains?

BAM!

Now thats what Im talking about.... about damn time shoreleave was cancelled, I got some new charts here and I am 100% ready to start plotting! Just tell me where we are going!!:up::up:

Oh and don't forget to visit

www.thegreywolves.com

for all your GWX needs! :D

Jaeger
07-30-08, 05:32 AM
The other two months of leave that you were expecting... are CANCELLED!

:yep:

nice, this messege i was waiting for. i hope there will be lots of updates on your new webpage concerning progress in development...

and some questions at the end: who gives the goal gwx4 has to reach? will there be any polls concerning sensors, ships, etc., or do you plan to make it on your own ideas? and second: what about the way of installation? will gwx4 be an standalone installer without any options? or will this be a JSGME product? JSGME is more flexible, for example there would be options for faster and slower rigs, for harder or easier AI, for more or less ships, harbour traffic etc.
and third: do you plan to recruit new personal for a faster release? there are lots of modders here, and there will be lots of work, non modders could do. if any help is appreciated, i would like to help (writing documents, doing stupid, time consuming works etc.) and why not asking other, high talented modders?

i am very excited and i hope, the whole team can make sh4 as realistc as possible. good luck.

greetz, Jaeger

TDK1044
07-30-08, 07:14 AM
For me, Silent Hunter 4 was only going to be a complete game once the U Boat Atlantic Campaign was added.

I'm very glad to see that the Grey Wolves are beginning their Silent Hunter 4 journey. The end result will be worth the wait. :D

Penelope_Grey
07-30-08, 07:48 AM
Hi Jaeger,

I saw your questions here sitting so will answer as best I can for you.

In terms for goals for GWX 4, that is down to Privateer and the Team to decide when that goal(s) has been reached or acheived. As far as I am aware... GWX 4 will strive for the same Historical Accuracy, content, and gameplay experience in SH4 that was strived for and I believe, acheived, in SH3. :up:

SH4 is a superior game to SH3 in many many ways.

as far as I know!
Installation will be via and installer again for maximum ease and convenience for the user base, no doubt GWX 4 will come complete with some optional mods as GWX 1 and 2 did. With things like Light Harbour traffic.

Recruitment is something that Privateer as Project Manager will decide. :up: We are still on shore leave don't ya know.... well whats left of it! LMAO :lol:

TDK1044
07-30-08, 08:13 AM
Installation will be via and installer again for maximum ease and convenience for the user base,

Personal opinion...in SH4 I think installation via JSGME would make more sense.

With SHIII, you could ask people to uninstall and reinstall the game and then patch to 1.4b before adding GWX and nobody had a problem with it. But SH4 offers the Fleet Boat Campaign as well as the new Atlantic Campaign. People are not going to be happy about having to uninstall and reinstall SH4 in order to get GWX in half of the game.

It's one thing disabling all your mods and re-enabling as appropriate...it's quite another doing a full reinstall of the game.

Just my two cents. :D

Reise
07-30-08, 08:18 AM
Multiple installs

I already have 3 install of SH4
One more is no problem

TDK1044
07-30-08, 08:22 AM
Multiple installs

One more is no problem

Agreed. But it's fine if you know what you're doing, and a mess if you don't.

Reise
07-30-08, 08:25 AM
Whats to know

Install SH4 and patch to 1.5 UBM

Go Ubisoft folder and copy complete Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific folder so you have two of them
Repeat as needed and rename to mods you add on each

Alex
07-30-08, 08:30 AM
Basically, we'll certainly go for the installer cause JSGME can let files in any folder when you have to disable BIG mods...
It will not happen using an installer. :D

Penelope_Grey
07-30-08, 08:35 AM
Multiple installs

One more is no problem

Not a problem on the multiple install, there'll be a set of crystal clear step-by-step instructions given out if users want to have a dual install (one for U-Boats one for fleet boats) :up:

But the installer is the best way to go to avoid getting bogged down in mod mish mashes.

danlisa
07-30-08, 08:37 AM
...and there was I thinking that some kind of standing order was in place from the Team Leader/Kpt.....:hmm: Oh well, plenty of space in the galley......

LMAO - You've still got to built it and you're already talking about distribution.

TDK1044
07-30-08, 08:41 AM
Multiple installs

One more is no problem

Not a problem on the multiple install, there'll be a set of crystal clear step-by-step instructions given out if users want to have a dual install (one for U-Boats one for fleet boats) :up:

But the installer is the best way to go to avoid getting bogged down in mod mish mashes.

Excellent. I think that way you'll get many more people using GWX instead of just the hard core SHIII users. That's good news for everyone. :D

BellJack95
07-30-08, 02:15 PM
First, I wish the GWX team good luck and smooth sailing as you craft the SH4 GWX version. I appreciate all your long hours of hard work crafting the mod and greatly enjoyed the SH3 GWX experience!

I would like to humbly ask that, if possible, the mod not require having the U-boat expansion (v1.5). I am one user of SH4 that has not purchased the expansion and I have a good time sailing around in the PTO in my trusty US sub so have not found a need to buy it. I just wanted to express my individual opinion (and I am probably in the minority) before your project gets off the ground. Regardless of your decision, I still wish your team the best. Cheers!

mr chris
07-30-08, 02:50 PM
Best of luck with the Build for SH4 look forward to seeing what gems you roll out, later in the year.:up:

melnibonian
07-30-08, 03:21 PM
That's excelent news. I can't wait to start testing the new baby in the SH4 environment :yep: :up:

@Chris: It's good to see you in the forum mate. I hope all goes well with you and your family. Try to stay away from dangers (as much as possible) and stay safe :yep: :up:

Fish40
07-30-08, 04:17 PM
This is great news indeed gentelmen!:yep: Good luck in your efforts:up:

JScones
07-30-08, 10:42 PM
Basically, we'll certainly go for the installer cause JSGME can let files in any folder when you have to disable BIG mods...
It will not happen using an installer. :D
I thought I'd jump in here because this is not the first time that someone from the GWX team has recently made this incorrect statement; the result being emails sent to me seeking clarification. :roll:

Alex, your statement is based on pre-v2.0 versions of JSGME and the experiences of users that did not follow the instructions at the time. It is correct that prior to v2.0 JSGME did not remove *new folders* added to games. It did, however, remove any new files...UNLESS users stuffed around with files in the mod folder without disabling the associated mod first. In this case there was a higher potential for new files to remain behind as well. Now, because at least one member of the GWX team made this mistake frequently, it added to the belief that JSGME doesn't clean up after itself and hence why the claim seems to come only from the GWX team.

ANYWAY, this is beside the point because the enabling/disabling engine was rewritten completely for JSGME v2.0. JSGME now removes ALL folders and files added to the game - it stores an installation log away from the user so even if the user stuffs around with a mod after it's installed, JSGME won't care. Of course, edit the install or backup logs and all bets are off, but under normal usage, JSGME WILL clean up completely after itself.

Now, if users have a differing FIRST HAND experience, they should contact me for support, rather than post conjecture. ;)

Having said this, I would not recommend the use of JSGME to install packages such as GWX. It will work and work well, albeit a bit slowly, but for maximum stability and performance, packages such as GWX should be completely integrated with the base game. On top of this integrated SH/GWX base can be applied smaller mods via JSGME. Integrating via an installer also removes the user-error margin. ;)

Back to retirement...

GOZO
07-31-08, 03:31 AM
AMEN! ;)

An elogé to the GWX-team AND the "Retired" wizard from down under.

<Salute>

:up:

/OB

danlisa
07-31-08, 04:37 AM
I would like to humbly ask that, if possible, the mod not require having the U-boat expansion (v1.5). I am one user of SH4 that has not purchased the expansion and I have a good time sailing around in the PTO in my trusty US sub so have not found a need to buy it. I just wanted to express my individual opinion (and I am probably in the minority) before your project gets off the ground. Regardless of your decision, I still wish your team the best. Cheers!
This decision is obviously up to Privateer and the team however, my understanding is that GWX will only be modding SH4 from the point of view of a U-Boat and thus only adding content relating to this theater. As others have discovered there are certain aspects of the game which will cease to work correctly in either theater when fundamental changes are made in the other.

Legally, if GWX wants to mod the ATO into SH4 it can not include basic code/material in any released package without the end user already owning the UBM expansion. So I suspect the UBM will be a requirement.

Besides, many others have the PTO covered and then there's always mutiple installs to help anyone wishing to play both.

Jimbuna
07-31-08, 12:52 PM
...and there was I thinking that some kind of standing order was in place from the Team Leader/Kpt.....:hmm: Oh well, plenty of space in the galley......

LMAO - You've still got to built it and you're already talking about distribution.

LOL....It would appear some things never change Dan http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Off to the pub/shooting range.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/drunkcob.gif

BellJack95
08-01-08, 09:23 AM
This decision is obviously up to Privateer and the team however, my understanding is that GWX will only be modding SH4 from the point of view of a U-Boat and thus only adding content relating to this theater. As others have discovered there are certain aspects of the game which will cease to work correctly in either theater when fundamental changes are made in the other.

Legally, if GWX wants to mod the ATO into SH4 it can not include basic code/material in any released package without the end user already owning the UBM expansion. So I suspect the UBM will be a requirement.

Besides, many others have the PTO covered and then there's always mutiple installs to help anyone wishing to play both.

danlisa - thank you for the explanation. Oh well, I was hoping for a GWX mod from the perspective of the US Subs since the team did an excellent job in SH3, but I understand.

Good luck GWX on your mod. I will have to content myself with enjoying GWX on the SH3 platform since I do not have any plans currently on buying the 1.5 expansion (UBM).

Time to shove off as I look forward to seeing what sealed orders await me on the next mission for my current command - the USS Sailfish (SS-192) - or as some of the crew call her....the USS "Squailfish" so Good Hunting!

*edited to correct typos

Fish40
08-01-08, 04:16 PM
For the love of all that is holy, could you guys PLEASE fix it so the U Boat crewmen have the proper foul weather gear, as in SH3. I know I've asked this befor, and if I was talented enough to make an attempt I would have already, but it is really a PITA to have such beautifully modeled U Boats in the game only to have to see the crew wearing US Navy issue raingear. It kills the whole mood for me:x I can't be the only one who feels this way, am I?:hmm:

Jimbuna
08-01-08, 04:34 PM
Probably not.......should be added to the list of 'requires fixing'.

sh3rules
08-02-08, 11:38 AM
Back to the Atlantic... :ping:

http://marlenedietrich.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/md3.jpg

Madox58
08-02-08, 08:15 PM
I do hope some persons are ready to peel taters and onions.
Fritz has been a bit lonely for several months now.
And it appears Galley duty has been missed.
:nope:

If you have a question?
Ask me.
Does not mean I'll tell you anythng,
but I'm now the 'Go to Guy"

You can request what you'd like to see.
I'll watch for this.
Does not mean it will happen.

You can demand things.
Again,
Does not mean it will happen.

Those that wish to slam us and bash us?
Go for it.
You have not a CLUE to what is about to happen.

I wish you all Luck and Good Hunting!

:smug:

Rockin Robbins
08-02-08, 08:43 PM
Slam! Bash! Biff!Ooof! Hey! shore leave's over. You guys are supposed to be back at the lair complaining about how hard you have to work! Instead you're wasting time here...:nope: Chop! Chop! Penelope's been there for hours but she's not cookin'! :yep:

Madox58
08-02-08, 08:47 PM
Actually, there is roughly a week and a beer or 2 to Official start.
:lol:
Down Scope!

Jimbuna
08-03-08, 06:58 AM
Actually, there is roughly a week and a beer or 2 to Official start.
Down Scope!

Champion!!

That should give me a little time to get over the birthday bash and this bad head as well as the queazy stomach.

I've tried changing over to each side of the boat Privateer....honest.

It's just the damn rocking motion is the same whichever way I try http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3960/animsmileybarfha4.gif

Perhaps 'the hair of the dog' will work. http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9425/praydl5rp5.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/drunkcob.gif

NealT
08-05-08, 11:30 AM
Almost sounds JB like you need a little,

Activonpeptobismal.

Indeed it does...

Task Force
08-05-08, 11:41 AM
Yay Finaly I might play silent hunter four alittle bit more.:D I realy am not a fan of the picific.(too many Islands to run into) Cant wait for the release of this Gwx team.:)

Jimbuna
08-05-08, 12:07 PM
Almost sounds JB like you need a little,

Activonpeptobismal.

Indeed it does...

Or a rum ;)

http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/pirate_with_bottle_of_rum_lg_blk.gif

Reece
08-06-08, 05:00 AM
Gee, I might have to dust off my SH4 boxes & install soon, I've not even played a single patrol yet, and there are sooo many mods who would know where to start, maybe I should just hold back till GWX4.0 is released!:lol:

Madox58
08-06-08, 08:04 PM
Reece,

I've had it installed from day one of release.
Got the UBM as soon as it was released.

For me?
It's study the files!!
Play.
STUDY the files.
play.
Etc on and on.

I highly recommend you stop messing about!

Task Force
08-07-08, 12:11 AM
I use to play Sh4 more but sence I Sh3 with GWX. Sh4 has bearly even been messed with.

Madox58
08-08-08, 08:08 PM
Tuesday,
We go hard core into production.
All outstanding issues should be covered by Monday Midnite.
That's Monday Midnite My time.
After that point?

I'll launch a path that can not be recinded.
Several issues will determine the final path.

All interested parties?
You can PM me as always.
But the deadline is the deadline!

No one is exempt!

Wildhawke11
08-08-08, 09:46 PM
For me its U-BOATS forever.

Its the challenge and the odds of surviving being against you more and more with each patrol. I think only a u-boat campaign in SH4 by GWX would make me put my SH3 on the shelf.

Thank You You Grey Wolves Wonders.

Task Force
08-08-08, 10:42 PM
I agree with what Wildhawke11 said, the GWX team does a great job with Uboats. I have one question though GWX team, are you going to change the water colors for the Atlanic, so it dosent look all blue and stuff.;)

Task Force
08-08-08, 10:43 PM
Oah yea. So by next summer this should be mostly done.

DarkFolle
08-10-08, 04:45 AM
"Heyo.. it's about time..." Starcraft II trailer's soldier's sentence.

Thxfully u are back, i will not go through SH4 till GWX will make it as SH3... after that, i'll also bother myself to play the Allied side..:smug:

Penelope_Grey
08-10-08, 04:50 AM
"Heyo.. it's about time..." Starcraft II trailer's soldier's sentence.

Thxfully u are back, i will not go trough SH4 till GWX will make it as SH3... after that, i'll also bother myself to play the Allied side..:smug:

I once thought that... my advice.... do play a few patrols in the Fleet Boats. You will enjoy yourself, you may not be fully immersed as they aren't your "thing" but it will be a nice experience for you. I'm U-Boat through and through and I like a patrol in USS Dismember now and again! :arrgh!:

Also, as I have been doing... take that IXD2 for a spin round the Indian Ocean! :up:

Just my 2p on the subject.:D

Kapitan_Phillips
08-10-08, 01:52 PM
I'm U-Boat through and through and I like a patrol in USS Dismember now and again! :arrgh!:

The USS what?! :o You stay away from me, crazy woman! :rotfl::rotfl:

Task Force
08-10-08, 02:32 PM
Penelope Grey If your fleet boat is named the USS dismember, whats your Uboats name.:lol:

Kapitan_Phillips
08-10-08, 03:30 PM
Penelope Grey If your fleet boat is named the USS dismember, whats your Uboats name.:lol:

The Castration, probably :dead:

Reece
08-11-08, 12:09 AM
U-Mini Dismember!:rotfl:

TarJak
08-11-08, 01:53 AM
U-Sod Off more like.:rotfl:

Reece
08-11-08, 05:56 AM
Oh we're bad boys TarJak!!:lol:

Jimbuna
08-11-08, 08:15 AM
That's why we transported you over there :rotfl: