PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls & Anti Virus

STEED
06-29-08, 10:16 AM
Time for a poll I think. :lol:

I have changed both from AVG & Zone Alarm to avast & Comodo.

Poll will run for 14 days only.

Platapus
06-29-08, 10:38 AM
I am assuming that by "change" you mean switching from one product to another product and not just updating to a new version of the same product.

STEED
06-29-08, 10:42 AM
I am assuming that by "change" you mean switching from one product to another product and not just updating to a new version of the same product.

Correct.

Randomizer
06-29-08, 10:55 AM
I'm running NOD-32 and am generally happy with it but plan to try Avast when my current licence expires.

Good Hunting

STEED
06-29-08, 11:03 AM
I never used that kind of stuff.

No firewall, no anti virus! :huh:

Really?

UglyMowgli
06-29-08, 12:50 PM
no change since one year on XP and Vista:

Comodo and Kapersky but when Vipre will be out I check it, I currently use Counterpsy from sunbelt and it work very well for the malwares and firends so I guess Vipre will do same and more (Antispy+antivirus).

I had a tiny linux machine base on VIA EPIA with IpCop on small 2.5"HD it was the best protection system system I ever had but when the power unit go done one night I nerver change it, maybe one day if I can find a 60W power unit compatible with my EPIA card.

For those who want to try it: http://ipcop.org/index.php?&newlang=eng

rifleman13
06-29-08, 07:21 PM
Haven't got around to it!:cool:

Yet!:arrgh!:

Syxx_Killer
06-29-08, 08:58 PM
This poll got me thinking about when I last changed. I can't remember! :oops: I think it has been over a year since ditching AVG for Avast and dropping Zone Alarm for the nVidia firewall that came with my motherboard's chipset drivers. AVG caused me problems, and when Zone Alarm was taken over by whoever runs them now, it literally took my computer hostage! Zone Alarm wouldn't load and nothing else would work if the firewall didn't load. Finally, after enough pushes of the reset button it finally loaded and I seized the opportunity to ditch it! :damn:

Monica Lewinsky
06-29-08, 09:43 PM
I am very close to dumping NAV [Norton Anti Virus] and using Eset NOD32 on the principle of CPU useage. Norton is a HOG on the CPU time.

Reece
06-30-08, 02:41 AM
Well I had to vote on this Steed!:lol: I think you know which one!:yep: BTW, I am back on COMODO again, I have been disillusioned with ZoneAlarm, I think it has gone downhill since version 4! And one of the biggest problems has been using RegCure, finds over 1,500 errors & fixing really fixes it for good!:doh::lol:
Also use Avira!

goldorak
06-30-08, 04:35 AM
No change, I've been using Avira Antivir and its very very good for a freeware product.

d@rk51d3
06-30-08, 07:02 AM
No change here. I've been using Zonealarm 7 with integrated Kaspersky since it came out. I had been itching to try something else, but since I've had no infections of any sort, I'm sticking with it.

The only problem I have, is that Zonealarm doesn't seem to like sharing with U-Torrent.

So, when I'm torrenting, I switch to Windows Firewall.

Raptor1
06-30-08, 07:10 AM
I just switched my AntiVirus from Norton to avast, phew, about time...

STEED
06-30-08, 03:52 PM
Yep really, my PCs have been connected to the net since about 10/11 years, never used AV/firewall and never had any problems. I did use some friends/family PCs with either firewall (zonealarm) or antivirus (don't remember which) , I found them more annoying than anything else.
I just use a registry/adware cleaner from time to time, that does it for me.

Wow you go balls. :o

Reece
06-30-08, 08:51 PM
Wow you go balls. :o
Yes or some higher power is watching over you!:yep:
I used to manually turn on the firewall when I had 56k modem, and forgot to turn on the firewall a few times, only by several minutes & in that short time have been infected, once so badly I had to re-ghost!:yep: I couldn't live without ghost!:up:

peterloo
06-30-08, 10:00 PM
No change here. I've been using Zonealarm 7 with integrated Kaspersky since it came out. I had been itching to try something else, but since I've had no infections of any sort, I'm sticking with it.

The only problem I have, is that Zonealarm doesn't seem to like sharing with U-Torrent.

So, when I'm torrenting, I switch to Windows Firewall.

ya you're right, so in the previous years where I do frequent torrenting, I use kaspersky

orwell
06-30-08, 10:20 PM
I've never used a firewall, I do a virus scan from time to time when I suspect something, I install the free AVG, then uninstall it again because it's just a waste of memory and processing power. I've had a spyware/virus problem once, but it was overall pretty minor, and it's been about two years since then.

I really don't know what most people do that they need a firewall or virus scanner, but then again I guess I don't spend my time wandering around the dark alleys of the internet.

Reece
06-30-08, 10:55 PM
I really don't know what most people do that they need a firewall or virus scanner, but then again I guess I don't spend my time wandering around the dark alleys of the internet.
I think one of the main reasons I get attacked is because of ebay, I have a 500 star rating there, guess I'm an ebay junkie!:lol: & doesn't take long and every Tom Dick & Harry knows your email address & computer ID!:damn: But I'm not giving up ebay!!:p

CptSimFreak
07-01-08, 12:19 AM
Don't use either for linux. For windows I have both.