PDA

View Full Version : Vista problams?

silentrunner
06-16-08, 05:07 PM
I have a notewbook with Windows Vista premium installed on it. I have SH3 and 4 installed. Along with a lot of other software. It was begining to run very slugishly, so I began uninstalling certain software. Today my internet was not working so I checked to see what the problam was. The network center told me that my wirteless network adaptor was not being detected. At first I thought my driver software had failed, so I reinstalled it from the HP website. Still my network adaptor was not being detected. I called HP tech support and they told me to reinstall the software, after telling them that I had allready tried this they7 told me to remove my card and put it back in. Still not working. I tried to restore my PC to June 11th. When my PC logged back on it told me that system restore had failed. The HP tech support guy told me that the problam was in my OS and that I should backi up my files, and restore my computer to factory conditions.

I want to know if this is a problam with Vista and if so is it a common one? I am getting really tired of Vista so I am thinking about ditching Vista and going back to XP pro. Would it be worth the price?

SUBMAN1
06-16-08, 05:17 PM
Vista getting slow could be the cause of network problems, or it could be that it is just getting slow! Anyway, network problems are the #1 cause of system pauses.

Couple this with a possibly failing WiFi card and I'd be looking to get a refund or fix on your laptop.

Just my 2 cents.

-S

Wolfehunter
06-16-08, 06:36 PM
Ok here's what I need you to do dude. Give me the details of your laptop.

There isn't a need to reinstall factory os just yet.

If you have 1gig of ram thats 100% your problem.

Vista sucks up 512megs of ram for itself give or take a few megs.

Second Vista uses shared memory ontop of Video.

So example,

My Geforce 7600 GT has Dedicated video memory 256m

System video memory is 0m

Vista uses Shared system memory 240m

= total of 496MB

If you video card doesn't have its own memory then its sucking up from your main memory.

I've encountered with ACER laptop and Sony Viao laptops when it boots Bios dedicates memory to those hardwares.

Vista then uses whats left.

If you have one gig or ram there isn't much you can do.

If you have 2gigs then your starting to have room to breath.

Ideally its important that when you do purchase laptops get minimum 2gigs ram ideally 3 or more.

Next thing to consider is harddrive space. I'm going to assume you have enough.
Also defrag it time to time.

Make sure you DirectX is up to date. June 2008 is avaible at MS site.

Make sure your drivers is latest and if that is the problem roll back to an earlier version that worked for you.

You can disable your wifi network card if you believe its the cause. Its possible if its active in the backround there are programs that are busy working on searching for updates etc.

Vista tweaks that I believe are effect ways to reduce CTDs and improve performances.

Game icons on desktop, Right click and go to properties. In the menu Shortcut look for button Advanced... open it and check on Run as administrator. OK

Then click on the Compatibility menu above.
Check on Run this program in compatibility mod for Windows XP SP2

Privilege level should be checked.

apply and ok

Then right click on Computer and go to propterties. Look for Advanced system settings open that. Performance open, click on adjust for best performance the apply. Yes your vista won't look as pretty but thats a sacrifice worth taking.

Open Data Execution Prevention menu above.

Click on "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"

Click on add and fine Silent Hunter III exe files and you can do this for any game.

Apply and ok

Still in Sytem Properties look for Remote.

Make sure Remote Assistance if check off.

Don't allow connections to this computer under Remote Desktop.

Lastly I would only suggest you do this if your the sol user of the computer.

UAC turn it off. But only if you feel not the need to have multiple accounts on your computer. Other wise its a resource sucker.

Other easier options are spybot to make sure you have no backround nonsense stuff running. and Antivirus can use too much resources so if you feel the need to play you can disconnect the network and disable the antivirus program so you can play freely.

Just remember to disconnect your network before you disable your antivirus program.

good luck.:yep:

Hmmm I hope I didn't forget anything....:hmm:

Yup I did forget something make sure you have SP 1 for Vista installed. It fixes alot

silentrunner
06-17-08, 07:44 PM
I think the entire problem is Vista. Everything is starting to crash. I uninstalled SH3 and 4 to clear up space. And now my programs are crashing. A lot of games are not working, and I can't use Linux anymore because Virtualbox isn't working. Is this problem entirely with Vista, and my network was the first to go. Should I restore OS to factory now?

I think I am going to get XP pro on my machine. I am fed up with Vista

em2nought
06-17-08, 08:37 PM
You might try contacting the company that made your PC, they might have made arrangements to be able to roll back to XP http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6209481.html Worth trying anyway.

Wolfehunter
06-17-08, 09:28 PM
I think the entire problem is Vista. Everything is starting to crash. I uninstalled SH3 and 4 to clear up space. And now my programs are crashing. A lot of games are not working, and I can't use Linux anymore because Virtualbox isn't working. Is this problem entirely with Vista, and my network was the first to go. Should I restore OS to factory now?

I think I am going to get XP pro on my machine. I am fed up with VistaIts your call dude not mine. If you believe XP is the way to go then do it.

I'm telling you VISTA is ok to play any game if you set it up right. When XP started it was just as bad as Vista and everybody hated ME when so Win 98 second Edition was the way to go then. I used to hear the same problem then I hear now. But with SP1 for Vista it fixed alot. I was able to run any game from old dos games like Fallout to present titans like Witcher. My system is 6 years old on top of it. Its suppose to run ideally on Dual core technologies but funs just as good on a single CPU. Stalker I have it on widescreen with 1680X1050 with med settings or Full screen with full settings.

No FPS losses. SH3 I can run it on 1680X1050 no problem.

I'm not trying to sell you on Vista just do your research properly before giving up.

If you have a few dollars to spend you can try this program to customize Vista to your personal tastes.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137214-page,2-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

Or you can read this TweakGuides link below which helped me figure alot out and actually I now take control from Vista. I tell it how to operate the way I want.:yep:

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

But its easier to format and reinstall XP yes.;)

silentrunner
06-17-08, 09:28 PM
I just read that you could encounter serious problems if you try to switch a Compaq or Hp laptop from Vista to XP is this true.

Wolfehunter
06-17-08, 09:41 PM
I just read that you could encounter serious problems if you try to switch a Compaq or Hp laptop from Vista to XP is this true.Has to do with the bios I believe... or the way Vista installs its partitions on the HD? I could be wrong. I know Vista does something to it. I read it some where a year ago. Details in my mind are vague... I made my choice a year ago to take on Vista so I didn't look back since.

Just don't take my word for it just yet. Look at the forum for HP and laptops. Look at any issue relating.

Sorry I can't help you more on that.:damn:

Herr_Pete
06-18-08, 12:38 AM
i have never experienced a problem with Vista. Mine has been fast and efficient. Doing its job well.

Stealth Hunter
06-18-08, 01:06 AM
Vista is horrid. All about eye-candy and not about actual functionality.

kiwi_2005
06-18-08, 03:46 AM
@Silentrunner, wolfeman advice is good. All i can say is dont give up Vista yet, if you can afford it go out and buy another 2 gigs of ram, though 4gigs is better or if you have vista 64bit stick in 8gigs of ram :) And watch vista perform like its meant to. Otherwise 3gigs is minimum.

SUBMAN1
06-18-08, 05:27 AM
I just read that you could encounter serious problems if you try to switch a Compaq or Hp laptop from Vista to XP is this true.Print out a description of device drivers from Device Manager. Check to see if their are drivers for all your hardware. No drivers = bad experience during a rollback for obvious reasons. If there are drivers for all hardware under XP, should be no problem!

-S

silentrunner
06-18-08, 09:11 AM
I am highly considering Wolfhunter's advice. If I could get Vista to actually work I would be very happy because I could save money, and Have the Vista look. But right now I feel like I did when I had a Mac, it was cool looking but I couldn't get anything done.

Wolfehunter
06-18-08, 08:28 PM
silentrunner, I'm here to help you because I know how you feel. When something doesn't work on my computer I don't sleep till my baby is puring just right.

But you have to help me too. You didn't answer any of my questions on the information I need to help you with. Right now I'm shooting a 12 gauge rounds and maybe missing. I would like to know the error messages, your system specs. When did you see this all start? Was there an upgrade or a mod or some software you installed that changed the way your computers behaviour? What antivirus program are you using. Are you using a program like Spybot to kill adwares. Do you have any hardware issues?

If all else fails then format your hardrive and reinstall Vista. Did you get a recovery disk from HP or do you have to buy one? If you have to buy one don't format yet. Wait because if you don't get the dvd then your screwed.

Lastly if your worried about personal info about your computer you can PM me and I will not release any info about you and your system. ok

or email me at wolfethor@yahoo.ca

Peace dude. I will tell you what I know about Vista 32.

One more thing you can do to see what errors your having. Vista Ultima has a cool feature in Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.

Try to find Event Viewer.

This shows every log Vista record when thing happen in your computer. Even if you don't see it when something happens or vista doesn't tell you. Its all here.

look below,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/WolfeXhunter/eventviewer.jpg

Do you have this in your premium version?

silentrunner
06-19-08, 10:58 AM
Okay so I have a Compaq Presario F 700 notebook with
957mb of RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
And I have an NVIDIA n force networking controller.

I use Avast antivirus, but I also have Windows Defender. When the problem occurred I did the most thorough scan I could do and Avast didn't see anything.

Thanks for telling me about the Event viewer, I think I found the source of the problem. My PC was working fine I turned it off and when I turned it on the next day my WLAN was not working. In event viewer at the same time I turned off my pc there is an error that says WLAN auto config has successfully stopped. Is this the problem?

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me

Wolfehunter
06-19-08, 02:52 PM
Okay so I have a Compaq Presario F 700 notebook with
957mb of RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
And I have an NVIDIA n force networking controller.

I use Avast antivirus, but I also have Windows Defender. When the problem occurred I did the most thorough scan I could do and Avast didn't see anything.

Thanks for telling me about the Event viewer, I think I found the source of the problem. My PC was working fine I turned it off and when I turned it on the next day my WLAN was not working. In event viewer at the same time I turned off my pc there is an error that says WLAN auto config has successfully stopped. Is this the problem?

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me
Thanks.

Your problem is ram. you have 1024megs of ram. Your bios is reserving some of it to the video card. 957 to play with using Vista is bad very bad.

Most modern games us about 1gigs of ram on there own to work and some other newer one use alot more.

Before you do any formating or installing GET ram. Find out what type you have in your laptop. Best option is ordering from HP give them your S/N number and model number so they can give you the proper memory.

If you have two different memory chip brands or if there specs are different. Vista dosn't like that and you will get errors. SO its important that RAM is the same in every way possible. Ideally Dual channel but thats more expensive. Other option is just buying one bigger ram chip and changing it.

I would ask you to try to find out what RAM chip you have in your notbook. If its hidden then you will have to rely HP technicians then do so. But make sure they understand that you need the same type or ram chips.

So try to get minimum 2gigs but for laptops 3gigs is better. Perfect system is 4gig if you can afford it.

untill then your just out of luck like my wife has a Sony Viao and she has 1gig of ram plus 128megs of video ram. She can't play the newer addons for Sim 2 because its too much for her system. Sometimes her system runs soo slow. Ram is the key for Vista and even XP.

That is your only real issue at the moment. Then I will show you a trick with Vista to divert more avaible ram to run game etc. But you need at least 2 gigs.

Good luck dude.