PDA

View Full Version : Why is everyone so disappointed with Windows Vista?

SUBMAN1
06-06-08, 11:51 AM
Just so you guys remember what it was they were supposed to deliver:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8059366643089947574&q=longhorn&ei=dW1JSMG_IoaIqgOGmO3EDA&hl=en

Somehow the above video of Longhorn never happened. Hopefully Windows 7 will fix that.

-S

MothBalls
06-06-08, 01:22 PM
Like most Microsoft products, they run great on a slide projector. The bad part happens when people make the mistake of trying to run it on a computer.

CCIP
06-06-08, 01:30 PM
There was certainly a distinct lack of babies in Vista :stare:

Eh, honestly, I'm not all that impressed with that video either. I dislike the gimmicky, memory-eating, and let's not forget practically useless clutter that they keep trying to stuff into Windows. For me, actual improvements to Windows ergonomics since 95 have been numbered in single digits, for all the millions that they seem to spend on it. Considering there's hundreds of ways you can change and customize your Windows shell without having to buy a new OS, I think all this kind of development is a huge waste. The effort would be better-spent giving us features we actually need. Like a more efficient file system and such.

I don't mind Vista though, but for all the money and effort spent on it, they ought to be ashamed. There's still not a single reason I'd prefer it to XP, and at least one reason I'd prefer XP over it (memory consumption). I still have it on my laptop though and I don't plan to get rid of it. For all practical purposes it works just fine.

FIREWALL
06-06-08, 01:38 PM
I have WinXP sp2 . It may not be the latest and greatest but it works for me and I haven't ever had one problem with it.

SUBMAN1
06-06-08, 02:30 PM
The point is - all that stuff is cool. Makes you visualize what you are working on to help keep better track of things. You aren't seeing the enchilada either. That just gives you an idea of what you were supposed to get.

And, that is not a slide show - that was a working product in 2003!!!

-S

CCIP
06-06-08, 03:08 PM
I'm all for visualizing, don't get me wrong. But I do find the layout there too cluttery and flashy for my taste. When it comes to interface, the less I see of it and the more it does, the better.

Good news is that those among us who really want to get more function can learn to modify their windows shell pretty easily.

SUBMAN1
06-06-08, 03:17 PM
I'm all for visualizing, don't get me wrong. But I do find the layout there too cluttery and flashy for my taste. When it comes to interface, the less I see of it and the more it does, the better.

Good news is that those among us who really want to get more function can learn to modify their windows shell pretty easily.There are plenty of Vista like upgrades for XP's as well. I played with a few of them in the past. Besides the occasional bug, you get basically everything Vista gives you, including glass.

-S

Linton
06-06-08, 03:30 PM
It would not talk to my printer or modem,it was a huge programme on the memory and it locked up and crashed doing the simplest things.It was back in the box and on its way back to the vendor within five days!
I think the most novel aspect of it was a stopwatch on the desktop-wow what a load of s**t!If I was Bill gates I would have very sore toes from kicking so much ass because this system was such an embarrassment!

longam
06-06-08, 04:47 PM
Everyone wants a damn toaster, just stick you bread in and push a button and wala toast. Crap it’s always been this way with every version. I remember win2k, what a disaster that was. XP was decent but still had its problems. Apparently there’s just not enough geek left in people to accept the challenge and end the boredom.

I love the new bells and whistles but really like peeking under the hood to see the real benefits from the next version.

SUBMAN1
06-06-08, 05:00 PM
Everyone wants a damn toaster, just stick you bread in and push a button and wala toast. Crap it’s always been this way with every version. I remember win2k, what a disaster that was. XP was decent but still had its problems. Apparently there’s just not enough geek left in people to accept the challenge and end the boredom.

I love the new bells and whistles but really like peeking under the hood to see the real benefits from the next version.Man, you are so behind the times! They have USB toasters now days. Get with it already! :D

-S

kiwi_2005
06-06-08, 07:40 PM

Good news is that those among us who really want to get more function can learn to modify their windows shell pretty easily.

Yea, thats what i did just got rid of all the eyecandy kept the sidebar and dreamscape running, everything else is down to its basics.

There are plenty of Vista like upgrades for XP's as well. I played with a few of them in the past. Besides the occasional bug, you get basically everything Vista gives you, including glass.

Had XP converted to a Mac layout once - big fat icons down the bottom actually after a few weeks i kinda like the look of a Mac interface. Some good programs to change xp interface- Windows blinds/StyleXP/ or the Vista pack for xp which changes completely into the vista look right down to the code.

Monica Lewinsky
06-06-08, 08:04 PM
Got 3 Vista machines, 2 towers, one laptop. Running SHIII with GWX and SHIV on both tower PCs with NO Problems. Laptop can only run SHIII with GWX.

All this bitching about Vista Annoys me.

JHuschke
06-06-08, 09:22 PM
I have Windows Vista Home 32-bit, the latest one. It works pretty good for all my games even when people said the Nvidia 8300 GS 128 MB videocard I had sucked but it works pretty good. I guess they just don't like looking at the same screen. :doh:

Seminole
06-22-08, 08:35 PM
Why is everyone so disappointed with Windows Vista?

64 bit...I ain't. :yep: Does some pretty amazing things if you give it a chance. :yep:

Read Tweakguide's Tweaking Companion for a summary of details.

Anything I haven't liked about it, so far, I can shutdown, turnoff, or delete. Don't remember that always being exactly the case with Windows 3.11-XP...and DOS...lets not even go there...:rotfl:....though I did enjoy that OS in it's day...probably 'cause I didn't know any better way back when,,,,

Wolfehunter
06-22-08, 09:36 PM

Good news is that those among us who really want to get more function can learn to modify their windows shell pretty easily.Amen to that!:rock:

McBeck
06-23-08, 01:23 AM
I think people expected more, than just whistles and bells.

The most common reply to why people aint upgrading is : "Why should I?"
They just dont see the benefit over XP.

Stealth Hunter
06-23-08, 02:21 AM
I believe the more appropriate question would be WHY isn't everyone disappointed with Windows Vista?

Etienne
06-23-08, 02:27 PM

Most people aren't using computers for the heck of it. If I need to do some calculations, order spare parts or make a presentation, I want the damn thing to work - I don't want to spend three hours coaxing it to do the things it's advertised for in the first place.

By your reasonning, if Ford sold car that didn't start, people should just figure out how to fix them and not complain.

AVGWarhawk
06-23-08, 02:37 PM
Yesterday I set my Dad up with his new laptop. This was the first experience with Vista. Really not all that bad IMO. He got a Toshiba dual core 1.7 mhz pentium and 2 gigs of RAM already installed. Worked like a flash with the wireless. It did have more eye candy but eye candy he liked. The clock on the desk with the calender. He is just a basic email person and looking things up on the internet. What sucks is AOL. What a crappy email set up. :down:

Raptor1
06-23-08, 02:38 PM
The drawbacks soon become obvious, and by that time, it's already too late :nope:

Well, if you can deal with the general instability, I guess it's not THAT bad...if you're just an email-web user that is

Stealth Hunter
06-23-08, 03:31 PM
That's like in all these gaming magizines I order for their news sections, they advertise for computers that are around $1,500 bucks (that's if you buy the standard version; you have to pay extra if you want specific parts and chips to be put in/removed). Yeah, they've got a great format (lots of space, good processor, etc.), but they ALL HAVE VISTA. I'm amazed they don't revert back to Windows XP, but then again, it's all about looks anymore...

Vista is one of those cheap and easy to make operating systems that gets thrown out quite quickly and in an unfinished format to be marketed at expensive, BS prices. It focuses all on eye candy and not on substance. A lot of software, extensions, and such aren't compatible with it, so it's generally not worth the price you pay for it. I got a free version when I purchased my computer (the one I'm on now), but after finding out more about it, I didn't install it. I sold it on E-bay (in February 2008, mind you) and made $150 bucks easily.

HunterICX
06-24-08, 10:09 AM
Why I'm dissapointed?

*Lay out - Crap, things took longer to find, just couldnt get used to it after using it a while on my friends Notebook
*It seems that Vista has the taste of a teenagers MSN with all the flashy stuff on the screen.
*I like it basic and simple like XP
*I DONT want the darn thing ask me permission for everything I do!
*I DONT want that thing to suck up twice the amount of memory then XP does, how can they call it a improved OS?
*I DONT want to spend more money to M$ then I should have done with XP 64bit a couple of months due their lies and attempt to control everything you want to do on YOUR PC.

these are the main reasons

HunterICX

AVGWarhawk
06-24-08, 11:30 AM
The drawbacks soon become obvious, and by that time, it's already too late :nope:

Well, if you can deal with the general instability, I guess it's not THAT bad...if you're just an email-web user that is

My dad is 74 years old. If he can figure it out and surf with impunity using Vista, anyone can. I think the OS is fine.

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 12:15 PM
I don't understand why ANYONE complains and then turns around and still buys BILLY'S latest whore.

Billy G the worlds Greatest Pimp. He has the buying public continualy buying his latest Hookers and help him turn them into Ladies.

You are what's known as a JOHN. (beta tester)

I have XP and it works fine. And I have no doubt in my mind that I will buy Vista.

But I shure as hell won't whine about it.

I was wise to Billy G when I walked into the store :p

I knew he was a Pimp and will always be one.:yep:

seafarer
06-24-08, 12:37 PM
I'm just curious about when is MS going to wake up to the fact that they really need to indeed throw the baby out with the bath water, and start afresh. Legacy junk code and insistence on maximum possible backwards compatibility is the 2000lb gorilla on the backs of Windows OS developers.