PDA

View Full Version : Still on 1.4, any reason to switch?

tomoose
05-11-08, 09:03 PM
I'm still using 1.4 with TMO and RSRD and getting close to the end of my current career. Is it worth going to 1.5?

kylesplanet
05-11-08, 11:00 PM
Well I'll probably never play a U Boat mission but it did add a few things to the fleetboats but more importantly, all the mods are going to 1.5 as it is just way to much work to keep up two versions.

BTW, RFB was released earlier today for 1.5 so that should be interesting. TMO really rocks! Being that it is only ten bucks, as much as I have been critical about putting U Boats in the PTO, its still worth the money if only for the mods.

If you play just Vanilla and have no interest in the U Boats then probably not but that would be a matter of opinion because like I said before, it did do a few things for the Fleetboats.

tomoose
05-12-08, 06:28 AM
What did 1.5 do for the fleetboats etc?

Monica Lewinsky
05-12-08, 07:04 AM
Well I'll probably never play a U Boat mission but it did add a few things to the fleetboats but more importantly, all the mods are going to 1.5

I am in the same boat [pun intended]. I broke down Sunday, 5/11/08 and spent the $9.95 for 1.5 version.

I, too, have no interest in the U-Boat portion of the game.

My decision was based on watching the MOD forum seeing various posts saying something like: "No more work will be done for 1.4 ... this is the last update for 1.4 users ... etc."

Said to myself ... "time to move on" and buy yourself a Mother's Day present. Did all the right stuff in the right order - uninstalling current mods. Bought it, installed it. Did a quick "fire it up" in the plain vanilla mode just to look at the changes. WOW! I like the changes to the torpedo screen, crew management, repairs, in-port screens - i.e. more usefull information. They even changed the F12 key info by adding a 4th tab of info on the captain.

Decided to depart on first patrol and keep things simple - Using these three mods - Silent Service Graphics mod, Captain Midnights CBS News, and 360 DBP Imperial 1.3.

When I return from patrol, I am going to add RFB 1.5 and give it another try on a patrol or two. Then that gets turned off and I will try TMO - Trigger Maru Overhaul and make my decision.

Since the question of: "getting close to the end of my current career. Is it worth going to 1.5?" is on the floor and needs an answer.

Answer:
Y-E-S!

TDK1044
05-12-08, 07:27 AM
The Devs included some small tweaks to the Pacific game when they issued the U Boat Add On. As time goes on, most if not all of the modders will be modding 1.5 and not 1.4.

DavyJonesFootlocker
05-12-08, 07:29 AM
I'm going to break into my pal's house and steal a copy of 1.5! Just kidding. I'm getting it at the end of this week- not so much for the u-boat but for the extras.

Syxx_Killer
05-12-08, 07:59 AM
I'd have to echo the statements that say it is worth it. I like the new features and even the handful of new ships they included. Even though I had my fill of U-Boats in the Atlantic with SH3, the Indian Ocean with the new U-Boats is interesting. The Type IX is my favorite U-Boat, but I never used it in SH3 because of the long patrols and painfully slow 1024x TC. It's nice to finally be able to use the Type IX. My only continuing gripe with the add-on is the absence of German speech/sound files. I know there is a mod that changes the speech and sounds to fit the U-Boat side of things but it takes so long to enable in JSGME and since I like to switch between sides rather frequently it just doesn't work to well enabling/disabling the sound files all the time. I just don't know why they couldn't have included the sound files and told the game to load English for the American side and German for the U-Boat side (like they did for metric/imperial measurements). Even the trailer they released before releasing the add-on used SH3's German speech and sounds. :damn:

kikn79
05-12-08, 08:16 AM
I'm still using version 1.4 and I'm perfectly happy with it and my current batch of mods (TM & RSRD & LBO). Currently, my only reason for wanting to upgrade at all would be to try RFB but I think it'll take a bit more than that to pry the $10 out of my pocket.

IMHO, 1.4 has gotten rid of the almost all the bugs that permeated versions 1 - 1.3. As I'm reading the 1.5 threads, it appears they have introduced an entire new batch of critters (i.e. O2 deaths on the surface, etc) and I'm certainly not going to buy it until these issues are fixed. (Yeah, I know that saving and reloading the game "fixes" it, but that is NOT a fix.)

Chuck

Syxx_Killer
05-12-08, 08:25 AM
As I'm reading the 1.5 threads, it appears they have introduced an entire new batch of critters (i.e. O2 deaths on the surface, etc) and I'm certainly not going to buy it until these issues are fixed. (Yeah, I know that saving and reloading the game "fixes" it, but that is NOT a fix.)

Chuck

I had completely forgot about that bug until you brought it up. I have never experienced it. I usually dive at daybreak and surface at dusk to avoid airplane attacks. I wonder what people do that makes this bug surface?

DavyJonesFootlocker
05-12-08, 08:43 AM
Sheesh, this 1.5 version sounds like more trouble that it's worth. I'll do a multi-install just in case.:yep:

tomoose
05-12-08, 11:53 AM
That was the other reason I asked my original question. I've been skulking the 1.5 Forum and noting with disappointment the number of bugs/complaints which leaves me leery of switching over. I'm with Kikn79 in that I'm quite happy with 1.4 (stupid diveplane graphic glitch notwithstanding, BTW is that fixed in 1.5??).

Sailor Steve
05-12-08, 11:59 AM
It's pretty funny listening to people worry about complaints for 1.5, considering the pasting SH4 itself took when it was released last year. Not to mention similar complaints about SH3 on its release.

Each new release can only make it better. If there's anything wrong, it will be fixed.

SteamWake
05-13-08, 02:03 PM
It's pretty funny listening to people worry about complaints for 1.5, considering the pasting SH4 itself took when it was released last year. Not to mention similar complaints about SH3 on its release.

Each new release can only make it better. If there's anything wrong, it will be fixed.

I too remember the 'wreck' that was SH4 at launch and frankly alot of the 'noise' was well deserved.

To their credit they have done a fine job with a lot of the bugs and made the game pretty solid witih a few lingering bugs.

Rockin Robbins
05-13-08, 02:30 PM
You also have to consider that many claimed bugs are not bugs at all. I had a dual setup with 1.4 and 1.5 and found myself not playing the 1.4. It's gone. Now I'm curious about WEBSTER's reversing "bug" (which is no bug at all, but a simple question of what is ordered, heading or course) to see whether that aspect of the game has changed.

One important change from the fleet boat end is that the entire loading architecture of the game has been rewritten. No longer are all the objects and ships in the game loaded when you reload your save game. Only the objects in your area need to be loaded, so the game loads much quicker.

And if you think you're not interested in the U-Boat end of the deal, i dare you to try Operation Monsun. It's a blast! The Allied planes have missiles against your pop-guns. There are dozens of picturesque ways to die in the Bay of Biscay.

Also the game no longer renders in upscaled 1024 x 768, but actually in whatever resolution you choose. It looks significantly better at high resolutions.

Does it have glitches? Microsoft Excel has glitches! Windows Vista IS a glitch! Yes, there are a few and they aren't deal-killers or even significant irritations.

TheBlobThing
05-14-08, 08:55 AM
Does it have glitches? Microsoft Excel has glitches! Windows Vista IS a glitch! Yes, there are a few and they aren't deal-killers or even significant irritations.

:lol:

Oh, and I've never had the O2 bug either. No siree, smooth sailing with 1.5! :up:

TDK1044
05-14-08, 09:04 AM
Patch 1.5 with the latest version of TMO is outstanding. I have yet to touch the U Boats, but the Pacific war is hugely entertaining.

DavyJonesFootlocker
05-14-08, 09:09 AM
Rockin Robbins has glitches, Sailor Steve has glitches, Ducmus is the Mother of All Glitches...just kidding. Not played it out yet to find any glitches and I haven't loaded up any mods on it yet. But the water looks awful in unmodded 1.5- I hate it, so hope the environmental mods make it look more realistic and the american-accented Germans- Ha! I knew there was a conspiracy between them. Bet you thought they only used them during the Ardennes Offensive, did you? And what's with all those muscle-bound nazis on the u-boats, huh. Dude, those Swabbies sure could bench press.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:More reason to torp them into oblivion!:yep:

Wilcke
05-14-08, 09:10 AM
All software migrations are fraught with issues. Nothing new here in that regard. I had three installs of 1.4 running nicely to my liking and then they just had to release 1.5!:nope:

I thought and thought and finally came to the conclusion that the if the Modders go forward I will too. In the end my 1.4 installs are gone and I now have 3 installs of SH4 1.5. For me its better than 1.4.

Now just hope for no more Addons or Patches in the next 6 months, I am on patrol!

I do understand folks staying with 1.4, I almost did...:up:

Happy Hunting!:ping:

THE_MASK
05-14-08, 04:20 PM
What bugs ?

Rockin Robbins
05-14-08, 05:13 PM
There's a cockroach on the Coney Island Ferris Wheel!

Zero Niner
05-14-08, 07:37 PM
I'm currently doing my 2nd war patrol since installing the add-on. So far, things are looking good. I discovered the other day that an irritating bug has been fixed - a repaired battery will now charge to 100%, and the charging will switch off when that happens.

Used to be that you could never reach 100%, and a lot of captains were caught short of fuel because of this bug.

les green01
05-14-08, 08:19 PM
well i think i'll stick with 1.4 cause i have support ubi enought but having to beg for a patch for silent hunter 4 done me in i relealize no more mods but can live with what i got now,if i lay a sewer pipe flowing a quarter bubble the wrong way in a million dollar house you think they beg me or the company i work for to fix it nope, i have heard support ubi keep the sub games alive you want to know who is keeping sub games alive it the modders and subsim, the ones that bought 1.5 hope your happy and enjoying it.

DavyJonesFootlocker
05-15-08, 07:30 AM
I got my first CTD with 1.5 last night inside a u-boat. I was switching off the all battlestations button whilst diving and that was it.:down: There's no conning tower water spray either.:down::down: