PDA

View Full Version : Diving Planes with 1.4

Dakar23
05-02-08, 10:05 PM
Updated from 1.2 to 1.4. And my diving planes arn't working visualy. This is reallly annoying me. It's a small thing but watching the wings drop from the periscope is the highlight of a dive for me. I'd searched the forums but havn't come up with anything yet. Is this an issue that can be corrected?
Dakar23 (Now 26) LOL

Sledgehammer427
05-03-08, 03:11 AM
that happens to me too. thankfully, sh4 loads fast enough that i leave the game and reload it, it bugs me a lot too

Schroeder
05-03-08, 04:02 AM
Are your diveplans permanently not working?
On my machine that happens just from time to time and then Sledgehammer427's solution should do.

banjo
05-03-08, 08:18 AM
They work with TMO installed. Have you tried that mod? I bet they work in RFB too.

hawk2495
05-03-08, 04:44 PM
its a hard code graphics glitch. it happens when you dive/surface under time compression... it also tends to happen when you load a save you did while you were submerged..... to my knowledge there isnt an actual fix for it, you just have to avoid diving/surfacing with TC or saving submerged and that should take care of it.

Anvart
05-05-08, 07:24 AM
its a hard code graphics glitch. it happens when you dive/surface under time compression... it also tends to happen when you load a save you did while you were submerged..... to my knowledge there isnt an actual fix for it, you just have to avoid diving/surfacing with TC or saving submerged and that should take care of it.
... and then, when the submarine has zero speed in the beginning of mission (look in missions editor).

hawk2495
05-05-08, 10:23 AM
well lets just address one goofy bug at at time........lol:up:

tomoose
05-05-08, 11:26 AM
And that's the problem hawk2495, that the dev's didn't address these goofy (and blatant) bugs and they're hard-coded so I don't believe the modders can fix 'em.

I'll trot out the bugs that still remain since stock SH4 (I'll freely admit that some of them are relatively minor but that's why I think they could have easily been addressed via quality control/testing if that had been done properly in the first place);
- diveplane graphics glitch (planes remain up while rods poke "through" the upper deck)
- destroyer collision sound for the rubber raft
- being able to "write" on the map instead of just placing 'X's
- sub "riding on rails" (I don't remember this in SH3 so why was it a prob for SH4??)
- 3 settings on torpedo speed and you can only use two
- "injuries" to deckgun/AA gun crew when submerged and a bomb damages your sub (I still get that with TMO).
- smoke blowing the same way as the flags etc
- imperial vs metric scales

I'm sure there's probably more and I don't have 1.5 so some of these may have been addressed (but I doubt it).
IMHO, Devs fix, modders enhance/improve and thank god for the modders.

DavyJonesFootlocker
05-05-08, 02:39 PM
Hawk is correct do not save whilst underwater,

JSF
05-06-08, 05:48 AM
Running in TC for extended periods will cause the planes not to deploy as well.

tomoose
05-06-08, 11:36 AM
....I'll qualify my previous little rant as it wasn't totally fair to the devs as they are under the thumb of Ubi which wants sales vice quality. Having said that 1.5 should have addressed many if not all of the existing bugs.

Anvart
05-07-08, 05:13 AM
And that's the problem hawk2495, that the dev's didn't address these goofy (and blatant) bugs and they're hard-coded so I don't believe the modders can fix 'em.

I'll trot out the bugs that still remain since stock SH4 (I'll freely admit that some of them are relatively minor but that's why I think they could have easily been addressed via quality control/testing if that had been done properly in the first place);
- diveplane graphics glitch (planes remain up while rods poke "through" the upper deck)
- destroyer collision sound for the rubber raft >>>> What is it?
- being able to "write" on the map instead of just placing 'X's >>> And this
- sub "riding on rails" (I don't remember this in SH3 so why was it a prob for SH4??). >>>>> What is it?
- 3 settings on torpedo speed and you can only use two
- "injuries" to deckgun/AA gun crew when submerged and a bomb damages your sub (I still get that with TMO).
- smoke blowing the same way as the flags etc >>>> What is it?
- imperial vs metric scales

I'm sure there's probably more and I don't have 1.5 so some of these may have been addressed (but I doubt it).
IMHO, Devs fix, modders enhance/improve and thank god for the modders.
It is difficult to me to understand your English but if I am not mistaken a part of items it is possible to solve ...???

tomoose
05-07-08, 06:16 AM
Anvart, I'll clarify the points you indicated in red.

"destroyer collision sound for rubber raft" = During the missions in which you must drop off a spy/marines on an island they get into a small rubber boat. This small rubber boat when it 'bumps' against the submarine makes the same sound as if a destroyer has collided with the submarine. This means you hear an extremely loud crashing sound and grinding of metal etc instead of a quiet little "bump". I have tried to replace this sound with a quiet "canoe bumping against the dock" sound but then when two large ships collide you get the same quiet "canoe bumping against the dock" sound which sounds ridiculous. In short, the devs used one sound for two completely different sound events. I don't believe this can be fixed.

"sub riding on rails" = the modders have resolved some of this but in heavy seas the sub does not "react" realistically to the wave action and seems to "float" between waves. Others have referred to this as the "flying sub" as that's what it looks like sometimes. There are more detailed posts if you search using "riding on rails".

"smoke blowing the same way as the flags" = you'll notice that sometimes the smoke from the smokestack on a ship moves in one direction whereas the flag on the mast moves in a completely different direction. I think the modders have addressed this for the most part.

Anvart
05-07-08, 12:35 PM
Anvart, I'll clarify the points you indicated in red.

"destroyer collision sound for rubber raft" = During the missions in which you must drop off a spy/marines on an island they get into a small rubber boat. This small rubber boat when it 'bumps' against the submarine makes the same sound as if a destroyer has collided with the submarine. This means you hear an extremely loud crashing sound and grinding of metal etc instead of a quiet little "bump". I have tried to replace this sound with a quiet "canoe bumping against the dock" sound but then when two large ships collide you get the same quiet "canoe bumping against the dock" sound which sounds ridiculous. In short, the devs used one sound for two completely different sound events. I don't believe this can be fixed.

"sub riding on rails" = the modders have resolved some of this but in heavy seas the sub does not "react" realistically to the wave action and seems to "float" between waves. Others have referred to this as the "flying sub" as that's what it looks like sometimes. There are more detailed posts if you search using "riding on rails".

"smoke blowing the same way as the flags" = you'll notice that sometimes the smoke from the smokestack on a ship moves in one direction whereas the flag on the mast moves in a completely different direction. I think the modders have addressed this for the most part.
1) and 2) necessary to look and think ...
3) The flag has the fixed position and the separate independent animation ...
In other words, the flag plane is located along of ship axis (axis Z) always ...
The smoke can be adjusted so, that its direction depend only on a direction of ship movement and did not depend on a wind ... If you want it, it is done simply ... But at abrupt turns the smoke will be displaced aside a little ... 3-d item it's not bug it's simplification ... Otherwise it is necessary to do the controller, operating by a flag as well as a smoke ... :rock:
In other words, i think, that the smoke should not be present at the list of DEV's necessary works.

P.S. And plz look green ...