PDA

View Full Version : manual targeting not working

prome
05-02-08, 02:05 PM
Hey, I have a couple of questions and I hope you could help me. Trust me posting these questions is the last resort! Here goes, I had some trouble finding good mods with this game and installing them. I ended up with TMO and RSRDC. I'm good to go with these?

The problem is that I can't use manual targeting anymore and it's driving me crazy. I turn it on from the options but when I run a career I can't see those "manual targetting buttons" in the upper right device. (the ones which you click to determine height and send it to tdc) Same goes with free camera, I would like to see my shots from different angles and watch enviroment. :) So I quess this has something to do with mods because with RFB I could use manual targetting. How can I get it to work?
Thank you very much. :arrgh!:

Soundman
05-02-08, 02:14 PM
If this hasn't changed since 1.4, you need to set options from inside the office in carreer. In the office, on the bookshelf to the left there is a book where you set options for carreer. This is independent of options set in the main menu. Hope this is correct and helped you. BTW, welcome to Subsim! And...Yes you have made excellent choices in your mods. Might I suggest adding PE3 or EE 4.4?

Rockin Robbins
05-02-08, 02:27 PM
Soundman is correct. If you don't have the manual targeting buttons, you have the game set on automatic targeting. This can only be changed in port. If you're a newbie to the game, prepared to be frustrated with TMO. It's about as friendly as a bobcat after you've run over its tail with a rocking chair.:eek:

Your charting tools are severely (and accurately) limited, the enemy is much smarter, evil airplanes will bomb you at periscope depth and your refrigerator magnets will be demagnetized.:up:

prome
05-02-08, 02:32 PM
Yep, that was it! Thank you. I found it very boring to hunt without manual targetting. The pressure is awesome when you have to find aob and recognize the ship when destroyer is closing distance! :dead: I checked the bookshelf before but only found load/save options :roll: Too bad I had scrapped my first came already because I didn't find the manual targetting. It was awesome though, I ran to the fleet that was on their way to Midway ! I immediatly engaged one of the carriers while destroyers spotted me. I managed to fire torpedoes but only one hit :damn: Awesome game. This game deserves a place in the same shelf as paradox titles! :cool:

Soundman
05-02-08, 02:36 PM
Yes, manual targeting is the only way to go IMO. Search the forum for the "Dick O'Kane Method" it a good way of precision targeting for certain points on the boat. There is a good video showing how to implement it. In fact, I do believe the above poster, "Rockin Robbins" did that tutorial, and it is excellent. Check it out, it'll make you a better skipper!

Soundman
05-02-08, 06:44 PM
http://files.filefront.com/Dick+OKane+targeting+video7z/;9969063;/fileinfo.html

Here you go, and yep, courtesy of Rockin Robbins. I would suggest this to all. :up: No real skipper should be without the ability to perform this technique and he shows you step by step how to do it. It's also a good example of usage for plotting tools. I ecspecially love it's not the perfect execution, but you certainly get the idea of how to execute the method:arrgh!: ARR! Thanks to R.R. !

Monica Lewinsky
05-02-08, 07:27 PM
prome

look at this:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=135361

I switched to manual targeting. Man ... what a blast of FUN!

These guys "steered" me in the right direction without all the damn reading!

My misses are INCHES from a direct hit. Finding my biggest fault is under estimating targets speed.

Rockin Robbins ROCKS!!!!

He taught me so much with such a GOOD video!

Soundman
05-02-08, 08:10 PM
Yes, the "O"Kane Method" is great. It'll work everytime as long as you have the speed nailed down. That is key. As long as you have radar, there is no excuse for not being able to nail the speed. Just mark the target, start the chrono, wait three minutes exactly, mark the target again, measure the distance ..example: 900 yards in three minutes = 9 knots. Pretty simple.

Also, just a tip here, if your using radar, zoom in tight on your radar return... bring up the chrono (X Key) wait for the target to jump (update) to a new position, as soon as you see this, start the chrono. Then, before it jumps again (you will have time) grab the compass tool and center it on the target and drag the compass to any distance (won't matter for now). Again, wait exactly three minutes and mark the target again or just drag the compass to where the target is centered on the circle drawn by the compass. Note: wait a few more seconds and if the target jumps again, update the mark, this may happen if you're a little slow clicking the chrono initially. ... Again, if the distance measures 1200 yards, the target is doing 12 knots. So simple, "Even a Caveman could do it !

prome
05-03-08, 07:25 AM
man, there's so much to read and learn. Thanks for the vids, will watch them asap. Quess I've been lucky with manual targetting, haven't missed too many torpedoes but I know there are more luck involved than I would like. I never knew, or gave much thought, how to determine speed. I just put it to somewhere from 7-11 knots depending on "my estimate" and the slow/medium/fast in the navigation tag.

Again, thank you very much. This is a very helpful forum and I can see there are many mature posters. Rock on! :rock: