PDA

View Full Version : Favorite starting sub?

gord96
05-01-08, 04:40 PM
What boat do you guys ususally pick when starting a new career in 41/42? Do you start with humble beginnings in the ol S-Class or try out the Porpoise or even more modern boats.

I always seem to feel i have to start at the bottom so I pick the S or the Porpoise.

How about you? :hmm:

Schroeder
05-01-08, 05:39 PM
S-Class.:rock:

Soundman
05-01-08, 06:08 PM
I've tried a few earlier boats and they can be fun for sure, but generally, I prefer the newer boats. A patrol or three is OK without radar, but I tend to get a little impatient without it. On the other hand, if you are fortunate enough to get sent into shipping lanes for your patrols, it's more rewarding to catch the quarry the old fashioned way, otherwise, it's sleepy time. So...I like to start with the Gato just early enough to get in at least a couple of patrols without radar and then upgrade.

aanker
05-01-08, 06:32 PM
GAR class for me and Dec 41 too! (although they weren't available until 42) I've spent enough time in the good old S class with S-39 etc that I feel I deserve to get spoiled now in this career.

Happy Hunting!

Art

Commanding USS Grayling (SS-209)

Kapitan_Phillips
05-01-08, 06:58 PM
I start from the basics. A pigboat for me, moving my way up as I earn the priveledge ;)

MonTana_Prussian
05-01-08, 07:24 PM
Always Dec '41 in a P-Class. I gotta have at least two stern tubes!:rock:

Crosseye76
05-01-08, 07:32 PM
As modern as possible. I want all the bells and whistles and gadgets as soon as I can get them.

Ducimus
05-01-08, 07:46 PM
Tambor or Gar normally. I've used the Sargo once or twice.

I've never used the Salmon, Porpoise and in particular the S boats. You'd have to threaten to pull some teeth out of my skull with a rusty pair of pliers before id start in one of those. :rotfl:

peabody
05-01-08, 08:47 PM
Tambor or Gar normally. I've used the Sargo once or twice.

I've never used the Salmon, Porpoise and in particular the S boats. You'd have to threaten to pull some teeth out of my skull with a rusty pair of pliers before id start in one of those. :rotfl:

Ok, Ducimus if you don't start your next career with a porpoise we will pull some teeth out of your skull with a pair of rusty pliers. Just as soon as I can find the rest of "WE", cause right now it's "I".:rotfl:

Peabody

Ducimus
05-01-08, 08:53 PM
Eh, i meant S class. Ive thoguht about porpoise, but the S class? NEVAH! I refuse to take out any boat that has a riveted hull! :rotfl:

Captain Vlad
05-01-08, 09:39 PM
Eh, i meant S class. Ive thoguht about porpoise, but the S class? NEVAH! I refuse to take out any boat that has a riveted hull! :rotfl:

Don't know what you're missing, man.:D

I've started out every career but two with an S-class, and while they're not as formidable as the fleet boats, they are...fun and different. Besides, there's always that nice 'underdog' angle with 'em...which makes slamming four Mk 10's into the side of an Ise-class battleship with one...so very very sweet.

As to the original post: Hard to answer. I don't usually think in terms of 'class', I think in terms of how attached I get to the sub over the course of the career. Right now, the Seadragon is taking top honors, so I guess my answer is Sargo...

Aur0ra145
05-02-08, 01:02 AM
I generally use the Gar, or something along those lines. But, here pretty soon I'll start another career with an S-Class, just to see how it is.

gAiNiAc
05-02-08, 03:05 AM
I started with a Porpoise...........

I'm thinking about going for the S boat though......

It's got that Captain Nemo thing about it.

That would be a cool mod actually, Nemo's Nautilus.......

Pipe organ music would be a must on the Victrola!

DavyJonesFootlocker
05-02-08, 07:34 AM
S-Class!:up:

Hylander_1314
05-02-08, 08:45 AM
I like to start with a Sargo boat. I just like the look of the boat.

clayp
05-02-08, 09:58 AM
Dec 1941-Gato with two(2) deck guns,40MM AAA.....:up:

howler93
05-02-08, 11:49 AM
Gato baby...Gato...

...and SJ radar! :rock:

Howler :arrgh!::lurk:

gord96
05-02-08, 11:55 AM
Good choices. I dont what it is with me but I cant seem to start a career in a new, modern boat. I guess I always think of the game as me starting at the bottom in some tub then working my way up.

Even is SH3 I will always play the Type II/D. Problem is in that game I never leave that sub as it too much fun. The S-Boats dont seem to capture the same feel. :shifty:

Delareon
05-04-08, 03:06 AM
Its always a hard choice wich Sub i will starting in.
The thing i mostly miss in SHIV are the missing technical Datas of the Subs.
I didnt found any place where i can read them.
So in SHIII i know the Boats but in SHIV i cant find a place where
i can find out wich boat is best or the worst for my style of playing.

Orffen
05-04-08, 06:09 AM
I started my latest with a Sargo and have so far denied any opportunity for upgrade (waiting for late '43 for a SoWesPac Balao).

Lately reading about the Sugar boats I'm surprised with how aggressive they were early war! Not much tonnage, but those skippers drove 'em hard! Definitely have to take one of those out of Dutch Harbor for my next career :)

aanker
05-04-08, 02:14 PM
Its always a hard choice wich Sub i will starting in.
The thing i mostly miss in SHIV are the missing technical Datas of the Subs.
I didnt found any place where i can read them.
So in SHIII i know the Boats but in SHIV i cant find a place where
i can find out wich boat is best or the worst for my style of playing. If you're truly interested in specs to give you an idea of what the different classes are like (should be like) in SH4 here are a couple good places to check out:

For the PORPOISE, SALMON, SARGO, TAMBOR, GAR, GATO & BALAO Classes:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/04idx.htm

The S Class "Pigboats":
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/03idx.htm

There are links from NavSource to DANFS for most War records.

Also:
http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/sublist.html

Happy Hunting!

Art

UnderseaLcpl
05-04-08, 02:45 PM
Sargo for topedo count-to-decent name ratio.
Porpoise and Salmon are terrible names for subs. Gar isn't much better and.....Gato? It's named after a mexican cat?