PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have having trouble with the AOB thing.

Flamingboat
04-27-08, 08:16 PM
I play SH3 and the AOB works differently here. My question is this. I understand the AOB is my position relative to the target. Now does it matter where my boat is facing? Lets say I am pointed North at an enemy ship and it is pointed East at 90 deg. It's bearing to me is 0. Ok AOB is 90. Simple right? Now lets say I am also facing East and the boat is in the same position. Is the AOB still 90? Does it matter where my bow is pointing? Does the AOB stay the same no matter what? This is confusing me.

Quillan
04-27-08, 09:07 PM
AOB stays the same. In both your examples, the other boat sees you at a bearing of 90**°, thus the AOB is 90. If the target is heading due east and you are due south of it, it's 90° starboard.

The TDC will take the bearing to target and range to target from your input to figure out where the target is, use the AOB and speed to calculate its course, and that's what it uses to continually update the solution through the position keeper. The bearing to target heavily influences the gyroangle of the torpedoes. If you're pointing directly at your target, they're going to have to turn a lot less than if you're on a parrallel course.

Flamingboat
04-27-08, 11:00 PM
Ok thanks. So if I am behind the ship I am 180 AOB no matter where my bow is pointing. :know:

howler93
04-28-08, 02:20 PM
So if I am behind the ship I am 180 AOB no matter where my bow is pointing. :know:

:up: Indeed! Good hunting!

Rockin Robbins
04-28-08, 02:45 PM
I arrive with the cavalry and all the shooting is over!:88)