PDA

View Full Version : OT: New WWII Submarine book

shoot-kill-win
04-26-08, 11:56 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know about a new book I just picked up today, that was published November of last year. The book is called "The Depths Of Courage" by Flint Whitlock (Vietnam veteran) and Ron Smith (WWII SubVet). So far it has been historically accurate, and has a forward by a former Admiral who commanded the Pacific Submarine Force. Here is the link to the Author's website with the info on the book:
http://www.flintwhitlock.com/FWWhatsNew.htm

punkmaster98
04-27-08, 09:03 AM
i just bought that a couple months ago. its a good read.

Mr_Dirt
04-27-08, 08:59 PM
Reading it right now. So far it has been a very good book. Just finshed another Submarine Book called "Final Patrol" by Don Keith. It is about all the submarines on display in the U.S. The book gives a brief history about the sub and tells about how they got where they are today The Batfish is near Muskogee Oklahoma.

Jeffg
04-27-08, 09:42 PM
I just bought this past week a new book called Escape From The Deep by Alex Kershaw.The book is about the Tang and when she got sunk by her runaway torpedo.The surivors and their story,the pow camps and their lives after the war some great pics of Dick O' Kane in later life.

JeffG

shoot-kill-win
04-28-08, 05:16 PM
Reading it right now. So far it has been a very good book. Just finshed another Submarine Book called "Final Patrol" by Don Keith. It is about all the submarines on display in the U.S. The book gives a brief history about the sub and tells about how they got where they are today The Batfish is near Muskogee Oklahoma.

Yes, Don Keith also wrote a book specifically about the Batfish entitled "In The Course Of Duty" Pretty good book.

Yep, the Batfish is in Muskogee Oklahoma I am a volunteer there. Every Subsim member who lives close to the Batfish should try and make a trip out to see her this summer, as there are alot of things moving in the right direction there, we just recently got the escape hatch in the forward topredo room open and you can look up inside of it, I will be working on it this summer (I live in Colorado and visit my grandparents in Oklahoma over the summers, and will be moving there next year to go to Oklahoma State). Oh, and the Batfish is also noted in "The Depths Of Courage"