PDA

View Full Version : Target map: lines to ship outlines?

overandout
04-26-08, 09:11 AM
How soon do the lines on the nav map turn into ship outlines? I find it so difficult tracking the ships solely using the black lines. Any suggestions on getting the lines to become the ships further away?

TIA!

Lee

Rockin Robbins
04-26-08, 09:15 AM
No, I believe they should not show ship outlines at all, just position points.

John Channing
04-26-08, 12:34 PM
You will only see the outlines if...

1) You are not running any version of Trigger Maru,

2) You are at periscope depth with the scope up,

3) You are in Nav Map view and zoomed in most of the way.

JCC

Rockin Robbins
04-26-08, 12:49 PM
Actually John, that is completely true. So long as the ship is in visual range and the periscope is up, it will show (in stock game) as a silhouette with a velocity vector. Those of us who believe that is excessive information are running Trigger Maru (and soon maybe RFB too!) which dispense with this hand holding.

I recommend if you are learning manual targeting, use the stock game's silhouettes and velocity vectors to become provicient before you attempt to tackle Trigger Maru. The stock game even shows the effect of the spread knob so you can aim your shots that way. All that vanishes with Trigger Maru and you are left with position marks only: dots.:up:

Skyhawk
04-26-08, 11:48 PM

I agree with you on this point completely. that being said:

Why is it necessary to refuse help because you "believe" in playing the game with different mods installed or difficulty settings? You only came back and gave a somewhat more non-judgemental reply after JC replied with an objective and legitimate attempt to help "overandout" find an answer to his question.

Why the need to look down your nose at others who prefer their difficulty/realism mods/settings different than your own?

I think that a "mightier than thou" attitude is counterproductive to making people feel welcome here at the subsim forums. Why not just either help someone out or maintain "silent running"? "overandout" was looking for some clarification on something about the game he didn't understand not your judgement call on how you think the game should be played.

Not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to offer you a bit of constructive criticism. Only reason I did this via this thread instead of a pm was so that maybe some others here who tend to take the same position with others from time to time might think about it too.

Again, relax, this is NOT intended to be some kind of personal dressing down, it is meant to be food for thought, for all.

Happy hunting! :)

JoeCorrado
04-27-08, 12:54 PM
I can agree that they should not show up at the longer ranges, but once the ship is in VISUAL range- then there is no harm in displaying them.

bammac3
04-27-08, 09:46 PM

I agree with you on this point completely. that being said:

Why is it necessary to refuse help because you "believe" in playing the game with different mods installed or difficulty settings? You only came back and gave a somewhat more non-judgemental reply after JC replied with an objective and legitimate attempt to help "overandout" find an answer to his question.

Why the need to look down your nose at others who prefer their difficulty/realism mods/settings different than your own?

I think that a "mightier than thou" attitude is counterproductive to making people feel welcome here at the subsim forums. Why not just either help someone out or maintain "silent running"? "overandout" was looking for some clarification on something about the game he didn't understand not your judgement call on how you think the game should be played.

Not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to offer you a bit of constructive criticism. Only reason I did this via this thread instead of a pm was so that maybe some others here who tend to take the same position with others from time to time might think about it too.

Again, relax, this is NOT intended to be some kind of personal dressing down, it is meant to be food for thought, for all.

Happy hunting! :)

Hello, SkyHawk

As a long time member of flight sim forums I can tell you that it is in no way unusual for folks who labor for the most realistic sim to be a bit short at times with those (like me) who take it as easy as they can get it. I have come to see it as mostly justifiable pride in taking the long painstaking road and learning and doing things as near as possible to the actual challange. I have never resented it, because I aspire to achieve it in some future wherein I have the time to dedicate to that learning curve....in the meantime, I have 2 installs....and one I tweak and twist for a fast game, knowing all the while it will make things tougher when I someday get the time to tackle the tough, realistic, and more satisfying side of the sim. But I can see your point.

Bam

Skyhawk
04-28-08, 12:00 AM
Right on Bam, you make some good points yourself. :yep: I don't resent my fellow "diehards" either, just saying that it probably seems more friendly and inviting to others when we offer the help that they are seeking as opposed to hitting 'em over the head with a differing point of view. ;)

You are well spoken though and I do appreciate your thoughts. :up:

The way I see it, the more we all do to promote and grow the fanbase for submarine simulations the more likely we all are to enjoy further subsim products in the future. In any case, just my .02 friend. :)

Have a good day! :up:

John Channing
04-28-08, 05:38 AM
For the record I think we have a misunderstanding of RR's intentions.

For as long as he has been around RR has been one of the most helpful and supportive members of the community (unless you want to mindlessly bash SH4... then look out). I don't believe that he mant to be rude or condesending in his answer.

Check some of his previous posts and you will see what I mean.

Anyway, question asked and answered, so we can all move alng.

JCC