PDA

View Full Version : Unwelcomed Crash Diving

tennozan
04-26-08, 06:59 AM
Issue: I use an Nvidia 8800 GTX ultra w. Win Vista 32 and 174.93 pre-beta drivers (I've tried several). I still get the crashes, the blue screen and the nvdvsomething device driver has stopped responding blah, blah errors which tanks the usefulness of the card until you reboot.

Yes, I'm cruising all the Nvidia tech forums, etc. looking for answers (with a whole lot of other folks apparently). And no I don't care about "Microsoft is the evil empire", "Nvidia is responsible for much of the world's grief" or "DX10 and Nvidia drivers took away my life" comments.

I'm just curious if I was alone in seeing Silent Hunter 4 tank pretty consistently with Nvidia cards and drivers running Vista 32.

I actually dug out my Windows XP disc last night and am seriously considering living in the XP past again until this gets sorted out.

hawk2495
04-26-08, 08:30 AM
i say that would be my course of action... i run a 9600 gt on xp pro with no ill effects whatsoever.....

Rockin Robbins
04-26-08, 09:19 AM
Arrrrrrrrr! Send Vista to the briney deep where it belongs!:arrgh!:

Captain Dave
04-26-08, 09:19 AM
I'm running XP with the 174.93 drivers on 2-7600 GT cards, and haven't had any problems. I get the fps slowdown in the harbors, but that's common.

Deimos01
04-26-08, 12:23 PM
I had this problem for 4 months. Like you I cruised all the forums and tried all the fixes with no luck. I was getting th nvlddmkm error where the display driver has stopped resonding and succesfully recovered. In the end it turned out I had a bad mobo and bad memory stick.

The nvlddmkm error is a generic error message that seems to point to the display drivers as the culprit and, indeed, in many cases that is correct. However, many other things can cause this error including, corrupt OS, bad drivers, program incompatibility, eccessive heat, or bad hardware. Only way to figure it out, unfortunately is through trial and error.

Many want to put the blame on Nvidia or MS but this problem can be lots of other things as well. For me the problem was shoddy Dell hardware.

tennozan
04-27-08, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the insight mates. I am still running through various testing to see if I can find any work-arounds but have my XP within arm's reach in case I finally have enough of this fun in the next week. For better or worse, this didn't happen while I was running XP.