PDA

View Full Version : How do I manage the crew?

dimwit
04-19-08, 06:33 PM
I see many things that can be done with the crew. I wonder what are the major things I can do?

LukeFF
04-19-08, 08:15 PM
First you say you see things that can be done with the crew, and then you ask what can be done? What exactly are you trying to figure out?

dimwit
04-20-08, 01:41 PM
I see things like promotions (why & how), skills, abilities, health, morale. how do I factor in these setting to run a good ship?

Zantham
04-20-08, 03:14 PM
Promotions are based on a crewmember's experience. Some of the promotions are given out while at sea. As far as I can tell you don't have a direct influence on who gets these promotions. Other promotions are given out when in port, in your crew management screen in your office. You can pick and choose who to give these promotions to. Experience is gained through action, such as sinking ships. I'm tempted to say that a more experienced crew can dive quicker than a rookie crew, but I am not 100% certain on this, its just an observation that a brand new crew seems to take longer to dive, but once you've dived a couple times (crash dive, regular dive, etc) your crew seems to get the hang of it. Once they get the hang of it it does not seem to improve. Again, I cannot substantiate this for certain tho.

Skills are an indication of a crewmember's ability. The skills do not often relate exactly to a particular position in a sub, but certain crewmembers will be better at different jobs. For example you would want to place a crew with high Watchman skill on Deck Watch, or a crewmember with a high Guns skill at a gunner's position. Other skills are not as obvious... It is important for a crewmember in the radio room to have a decent Electrical ability, but Watchman also helps.

Qualifications are crew that have begun to specialize. These qualifications are directly related to the crewmember's job in the sub. You want a crewmember with Torpedo qualification in a Torpedo Room, or a crewmember with an Engine qualification in the Engine room. Other qualifications are more spread out, Command qualification will have the most effect in the Command Room, but will still be beneficial if used in the leader position of another compartment. The crewmember's qualifications in the command room also have an effect on the efficiency of the other compartment rooms.

Health is like hit-points. A crewmember with zero hitpoints is dead.

Morale is tied in with your crewmember's ability to lose fatigue. A crew with high morale will fatigue slower, and regenerate faster when resting.

This is just a basic synopsis of how it works in the game, I'm sure a pretty large writeup would be required to fully explain everything about crew management and how it works.

maerean_m
04-21-08, 12:14 AM
While on patrol, go to the crew management screen and press F1.

dimwit
04-22-08, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info.

DavyJonesFootlocker
04-22-08, 12:30 PM
The guy's moniker is Dimwit, Luke whaddya expect.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dude you're aptly named. Sorry just joking around.

Quillan
04-22-08, 04:00 PM
You can subdivide the ranks of the sailors on the boats into subgroups. There are basic seamen, petty officers, chief petty officers, and officers. Within those groups, each crewman gets experience during the patrol, and when the seaman hits the top of his current level he gets a promotion. However, he can't get promoted into the next group this way. For that, you have to use a promotion at the office after the patrol. A Seaman 1st Class will become a Petty Officer 3rd Class this way, and pick up a rating (specialty) of your choice when it happens.

Medals are allotted to you based on tonnage sunk during the patrol, but if there is any in-game effect to awarding medals, I have yet to see it.

PS. I hope I didn't reverse the ranks there. I haven't played much lately so I'm doing this from memory. :doh:

-Pv-
04-26-08, 07:31 PM
As others have hinted, most changes to the crew while on patrol are automatic. You job is to put the best crew in the most critical positions. Keep the boat from damage and don't over-tire the crew and it'll all work out. When you get back to port, buy better replacements.
-Pv-

Monica Lewinsky
04-26-08, 07:45 PM
When you get back to port, buy better replacements.-Pv-
That is the BEST advice offered. Sink 'em, put them on the bottom, when you get back to port, take care of your crew THEN - in port AFTER the mission.

gord96
04-27-08, 08:45 PM
quick question. if crewmen are assigned to dmg control or to a gun but they are not active will they still sleep and recover fatigue? or do i have to put the men into a regular place on the boat for them to recover?:hmm:

Quillan
04-27-08, 09:09 PM
In this, they'll sleep normally. The crew management screen doesn't have a crew quarters section; that's kind of abstracted out.

One important point, however. For whatever the reason, if the deck gun or flak guns get damaged in a depth charge attack, then the crew currently assigned to the gun will also be injured or killed, even though the boat is underwater and the guns aren't manned. I've taken to keeping the gunners in the damage control station until I need them, then manually moving them.

bammac3
04-27-08, 09:18 PM
In this, they'll sleep normally. The crew management screen doesn't have a crew quarters section; that's kind of abstracted out.

One important point, however. For whatever the reason, if the deck gun or flak guns get damaged in a depth charge attack, then the crew currently assigned to the gun will also be injured or killed, even though the boat is underwater and the guns aren't manned. I've taken to keeping the gunners in the damage control station until I need them, then manually moving them.

Now, that is new info to me. It explains some experiences I have had. Thank you for posting this information.

Bam

gord96
04-27-08, 09:26 PM
gotcha! thanks for the info!!:up: