PDA

View Full Version : U.S.S Lionfish.

Tebok
04-15-08, 11:51 PM
In a few hours I'll be off to Battleship Cove located in Fall River Massachusetts. I've been there hundreds of times, actually, I have a membership for free entry. It about 45 minute drive for me.

You can explore the Battleship Massachusetts, a Russian Missile Boat, The Destroyer Joseph P Kennedy and of course the Submarine U.S.S Lionfish. There are also a pair of P.T Boats (though you cant go on them)

Anyone here ever been there? A great place. The Massachusetts is basically a floating museum. Below decks are filled with models, memorials and artifacts.

Clicky here for some pictures of the Lionfish. http://www.firenews.org/navybase/lionfish.html (be sure to click the 'next' link to see three pages of Interior Lionfish photos.)

snakeyez
04-16-08, 07:24 AM
Battleship Cove does have a website, too.

http://www.battleshipcove.org/

I've never been there, and I've been trying to get anyone interested in the Lionfish to come over to SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG and talk about her. I haven't succeeded yet sadly.

M. Sarsfield
04-16-08, 07:46 AM
I was there in 1991 when I spent a week (or two) at Groton Sub School with the Sea Cadets.

greyrider
04-16-08, 07:48 AM
have a real good time tobok, i was there for the first time last year, and i loved it, plan to go back again this summer. i remember now when i was in the seventh grade in a catholic school, the nuns came in one day, and asked us kids if we could donate money to bring bb-59 back to massachusetts. i remember giving some, and so i feel good knowing i helped to bring the battleship back to MA, in 1965.

the lionfish is just beautiful, i loved her too.

would be the nuts to meet up with a couple to subsim members that live close to battleship cove, and tour the ships there, have lunch in the wardroom of the bb,
would be an excellent time.

have fun t

:D

Tebok
04-16-08, 05:36 PM
Well got back a couple of hours ago. Had a lot of fun on the submarine. Most of the little dials, levers and knobs are either locked, behind a glass wall or can't be moved but just dont do anything. One thing that does work is the Diving Alarm. :D

Advice - Never ever go there on a weekend. You'll have swarms of Boy Scouts, Girlscouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies, Daisey Scouts and Tiger cubs there, not to mention about 10 buses full of people on school trips AND parents who bring their screaming and crying 2 year olds. Best bet is to Dress warm and go there in the middle of winter. It will be open and you'll be the only person there, period. :D

spike12
04-16-08, 05:47 PM
The Lionfish?That's the boat that's on the cover of SH4 isn't it?:D

Torplexed
04-16-08, 08:47 PM
The Lionfish?That's the boat that's on the cover of SH4 isn't it?:D
Same number. I think the artist who did the box cover illo probably built the Revell Lionfish model as reference.

http://neptoon.homestead.com/Lionfish-Model.jpg

M. Sarsfield
04-16-08, 08:56 PM
One thing that does work is the Diving Alarm. :D

Glad to see that it's still working. I played with it back when I was there 17 years ago.

I also had that model. I never got around to finishing it.

Tebok
04-16-08, 09:31 PM
[quote]
I also had that model. I never got around to finishing it.

I think I went through 3 lionfish models while growing up. :)

stillalearnin
04-16-08, 09:51 PM
I never knew it was there when I was in sub school and ET school for over a year. Sad I missed it. I did visit a boat in Mobile, Alabama though. I cant remember the name or hull number to save the life of me. I dragged my brand new wife of all of 2 weeks through it on the way back from Mississippi, where she was from, heading back to base at Kings Bay. She is a lucky person. She has taken a tour on a BB, SS, and a SSBN. Ah, she didnt really like it that much, but hell, its hard to get tours on a boomer, they are kinda touchy bout that.

On a seperate note, she has the distinction of having a 50 cal locked and loaded, along with a lot of M16's, pointed at her by a platoon of Marines. :rock:She was trying to get down to the lower base(water front) to pick me up after having duty the night before. We were in the process of a missle move, and it ran a bit late.

shoot-kill-win
04-16-08, 10:53 PM
The boat in Alabama is the U.S.S. Drum, go out to www.submarinemuseums.org (http://www.submarinemuseums.org) and be sure to check out the forums section to learn more about the Drum, and all the other museum boats. They all need attention.

Tebok
04-16-08, 11:16 PM
The boat in Alabama is the U.S.S. Drum, go out to www.submarinemuseums.org (http://www.submarinemuseums.org) and be sure to check out the forums section to learn more about the Drum, and all the other museum boats. They all need attention.

Ironic. Thats the boat I am using now in my SH4 Career. ;)

shoot-kill-win
04-17-08, 03:26 PM
Yeah, alot of people were issued the Drum. But it is good as they can command it in the game, then they can actually go visit it and see what it was like.

rrmelend
04-17-08, 03:37 PM
She is a lucky person. She has taken a tour on a BB, SS, and a SSBN. Ah, she didnt really like it that much, but hell, its hard to get tours on a boomer, they are kinda touchy bout that.

Now that's where I'm lucky. My wife and I are both History teachers so she usually enjoys going with me to tour airbases and ships. On our honeymoon we spent an entire day at Pearl Harbor checking everything out and taking pictures. The pictures thing gets a little old with her but she puts up with it fairly well.

M. Sarsfield
04-17-08, 04:02 PM
That's because guys will take 100 photos of the same object to get every little detail. Women just want a few photos (with everyone in the picture) for the memories. Still, you are lucky to have her.

stillalearnin
04-17-08, 04:40 PM
Indeed you are.