PDA

View Full Version : Allies and neutral shiping

Vorkapitan
04-13-08, 07:46 PM
Hi All,

I've played many campaigns but have yet to see ships that have neutral flags or flags that are allied to the Japanese or American.

If I ran into on, it was so rare that I've forgotten.

It seems to me that it would add to lot to SHIV to hunt for a ship and have it be a country flag that was allies to the enemy or or American or neutral.

I don't know if it's even possible...but it would give it an added depth.
Right now, I'm 99% assured that it will be an enemy.

Maybe about 15% would be a good number of ships of this type.

What do you think?

peabody
04-13-08, 08:43 PM
I am running stock and I have run into several. Some in Celebes Sea (maybe 5 or 6) and several in the Flores Sea(don't remember how many, but a lot more than in Celebes) and some in the 'channel' between those two. I think the flag was Netherlands oh and two in the Strait of Malacca same flag. Three horizontal stripes, no emblems (I think they were red white and blue). And of course a lot near Fremantle and Brisbane, but I'm sure that's not what you were talking about. So, there are some in there, maybe not as many as you want but enough to make me skip a shot now and then if I can't see well enough, or make me go a lot closer before shooting.

Peabody

MonTana_Prussian
04-13-08, 08:56 PM
I have seen Dutch ships in the Java and Celebes seas and saw one French freighter south of the Solomons,but that's it.

nfitzsimmons
04-14-08, 07:57 AM
Saw a couple of French merchants northwest of Austraila in late 1943, and a mixed Us/UK convoy in the same area in early 1944. This may be a TMO thing, though.

ccruner13
04-14-08, 12:40 PM
the auxilary cruiser in uboat addon was flying a greek flag for some reason

http://grove.ufl.edu/~gasa/greek%20flag.gif

LukeFF
04-14-08, 06:31 PM
the auxilary cruiser in uboat addon was flying a greek flag for some reason

Because German auxiliary cruisers flew flags from other nations to lure enemy targets into firing range. It's been discussed in numerous threads here in the past.

-Pv-
04-14-08, 09:45 PM
I've seen flags from at least 7 nations in the stock game. They tend not to be in the more contentious battle areas. The US allies are more likely to be seen in the Allied controlled waters. I've seen more neutral and non-US flags in the Marshalls than anywhere else, particularly the Australians.
-Pv-

ccruner13
04-15-08, 12:04 AM
heh i didnt realize about the german auxilaries. my bad

ive sunk a neutral ship or two but i dont remember anything more than that