PDA

View Full Version : Speed

peabody
04-13-08, 04:44 PM
I need to know the speed most of you go when traveling to a mission. I am working on a mission in Mission Editor and if you travel at 2/3 you don't quite get there in time, so I need to make changes. The mission is just shy of 1000nm from base if that would make a difference, since I don't think fuel will be an issue. Oh, that is 2/3 on the surface. If you go flank, you get there way early, I am trying to find a happy medium.

Thanks for any input.

Peabody

Nisgeis
04-13-08, 05:05 PM
If it was a mission as opposed to a patrol, I'd go full speed if I knew it was only a short stint. If I thought there might be more ahead, I'd go at best cruising speed.

peabody
04-13-08, 05:59 PM
If it was a mission as opposed to a patrol, I'd go full speed if I knew it was only a short stint. If I thought there might be more ahead, I'd go at best cruising speed. Well, ya never know what may lay ahead ;) But I am making arrangements for refuel and rearm, but I messed up with the first objective because of the timing. Not a big deal, just start a bit sooner or put the Task Force farther away from the engagement point.

Normal would be about 2/3 right? And if they had to submerge because of something the game may throw in (not part of the mission) it would be slower.

Peabody

JoeCorrado
04-13-08, 06:22 PM
Might be best to give an estimate for when they need to arrive on station and remember that ships will not spawn within a certain radius of the players position.

I usually travel at 1/3 surfaced when beginning a long patrol, starting at Pearl with nearly 5,000 nm just to arrive on station requires either an extra stop to refit or frugal use of fuel from the start... returning afterwards I go as fast as my fuel situation and the enemy allows.

M. Sarsfield
04-13-08, 06:24 PM
Most efficient speed to run at is standard. Especially when using a mod that corrects fuel usage.

peabody
04-13-08, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I am just trying to get an idea of what speed people "usually" travel at. I think they would tend to automatically set that speed. If you notice in JoeCorrado's answer he says 1/3 if he's going 5000nm etc. and M. Sarsfield gave me the most fuel efficient speed, which is good don't read this the wrong way but in my post I commented it is less than 1000nm from base, so I don't know if people would even pay attention if I gave a briefing or message that they have to be there at a certain time. And some like Nisgeis commented, if they don't know what else may come later they may use the most fuel efficient.
I just want to try to make the mission so that anyone that plays it can at least get there on time. The ones that go flank on the surface at 20kts will just have to TC until the action starts. Also what time to be there is one thing that is suppose to be unknown at the beginning of the mission. It won't ruin it, but it will lose some of the suspense. (and I'll have to change some of the messages and contact reports)
As for the spawning it is 20nm I believe but that is not a problem because they are on the way before you even get on station.
Again Thanks for the input.

Peabody

MonTana_Prussian
04-13-08, 08:50 PM
I almost always run at standard on the surface,until i reach my patrol area,then 1/3.

kylesplanet
04-13-08, 09:18 PM
Depending on the boat, 9.5-10 knots is the most efficient speed. Some mods like RFB and TMO adjust the speed to be most efficient at ahead standard.

-Pv-
04-14-08, 08:43 PM
In the stock game, any speed setting that results in anything between 9-10 knots (depending on the weather) will provide historical results. Higher speeds were only used for tracking, evasion and attacks. Fuel and battery was life. They carefully horded both, not knowing what circumstances were ahead of them. The real world commanders had to ballance aggressiveness, future unknown, risk, part wear, damage and safety margins.
-Pv-