PDA

View Full Version : Boring - Close Program

SubSuck
04-12-08, 05:12 PM
Damn. This will be my fourth restart in the last week. I put in Windows XP Pro x64 and ever since then, I've been getting these program shutdown warnings each time I try loading a save. What the hell is the problem?

nfitzsimmons
04-13-08, 12:14 PM
It's possible that SHIV doesn't like the 64-bit XP. What mods do you have installed, and under what circumatances are you saving your games?

-Pv-
04-13-08, 12:35 PM
64 bit on any OS has poor compatability and will for a long time. The problem is not so much the game, but third party drivers are still not stable even after a couple years. So few people using 64 bit slows the development. Catch 22. Games are not the only problem. There are large numbers of software which aren't compatabile with 64 bit. There are lists on the Internet. Before you install a 64bit OS, make sure the software you cannot live without is not on those lists. Even common MS software is on that list (amazing.)

If you HAVE to have it, make sure every one of your drivers is specifically released as 64bit especially graphic and sound. If you are using AMD CPU, make sure you have the 64 bit optimizer. If you have an otherwise high-end system, make sure you have all the cooling your system is capable of installed properly and enabled. Don't overclock anything until you know all your software is working fine.
-Pv-

Khourieat
04-14-08, 12:48 PM
I had a similar issue just this weekend, I use 64 bit Vista. Every time I tried to load my mid mission save, the program would become unresponsive and Vista would crash/close it.

I had saved the game while TC was set to 0 though, I was in the middle of something and didn't want time to move when I came back, I think I was right on top of a ship or something. Anway, I wondered if the TC = 0 thing would cause any problems, bug figured it wouldn't.

I haven't tested it yet, but that was the first time I had ANY problems with SH4 at all, and I was able to load my save from leaving the port with no problems, so I'm currently attributing it to having saved while TC was set at 0.

Dmsdmullins
04-14-08, 01:21 PM
I understand your frustration... 64 drivers are slowly leaking out. Im running 64 xp pro though and although Ive had some major issues with sh4 I havent had many with anything else, but if your having problems its more than likely drivers for 64