PDA

View Full Version : this is weird

peewee
04-11-08, 08:04 PM
I did a bit of experimenting earlier........if I use the stadiometer to get the range to a target and then check it on the tectical map, there is often a big difference........this is WITH the crew at action stations and with a target approx 4500 yds away (when I measured on the tac map it said 3400). It gets weirder. IF I ask the sonar man to give me a range he pretty much agrees with the stadiometer..........ok so I then adjust the range to something I know is totally wrong (500 yds) and enter it in the TDC. I then ask the sonar man for a range and he STILL agrees with the stadiometer input i.e. 500yds............even though that is patently wrong...............At all times during this I had the target locked in the periscope and the TDC activated............even so, shouldn't the sonar man give something like the actual range?

Rockin Robbins
04-12-08, 02:13 PM
Ruh roh...... That is not welcome news. Time to play around a little to see if I can confirm. How are you asking the sonar man?

peewee
04-12-08, 07:34 PM
using the 'distance to target button when sonar is selected but stilllooking through scope (if that makes sense) i.e. in the scope screen but clicking on the 'sonar' button so that the various sonar keys are displayed....also I noticed that the 'send range to TDC' doesn't work. If I ask for a sonar range and then click on 'send data to TDC' nothing happens..

peewee
04-12-08, 07:37 PM
btw, this is what I'm running...
RSRDC V355 patched 3
betterscopes v1.5
small nav tools
Kosh reduced floaters
black smoke
K z See 4 blade props
Env color 3.2

peewee
04-17-08, 09:24 AM
Did you find anything when you tested RR????

Fincuan
04-17-08, 10:01 AM
The sonar range and the stadimeter range correspond because your sonar guy hasn't pinged the target yet, and hence the range obtained with the stadimeter is the only he knows. To get a proper sonar range you have to go to the sonar station, point the needle to your target and ping the target using the 3d-swith. You hear a ping, and once you hear the return ping you can hit "Send range to TDC" to send that reading to the TDC. WernerSobe's sonar-only-targetting tutorial(found behind one of the stickies in this forum) also shows you the correct procedure.

Rockin Robbins
04-17-08, 10:38 AM
Did you find anything when you tested RR????

But I will get to it tonight. Sorry.:up:

peewee
04-17-08, 12:23 PM
It's ok, I think Fincuan nailed it..................