PDA

View Full Version : Sun halo shines through objects

TheBlobThing
04-06-08, 06:28 PM
I recently replaced my aging Radeon X1600XT with spanking new nvidia 8800GTS :D
I finally got that sweet sun halo I've been seeing so many screenies with, but I got so much halo, it even shines through my boat:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7820/sunshinesthrull4.jpg

Anybody else experienced the same? Is this normal and something I should just learn to live with? Is there a way to fix it? Tune in for more of this exciting adventure, as soon as someone answers my question!

PS: I use nhancer as per the nvidia tweaks thread, but couldn't find mention of this specific problem anywhere.

Whisperer
04-06-08, 06:40 PM
Yup, had that hapen to me to, don't think there's mutch you can do about it. I've read about this problem a while ago on the Ubi site, but that also came up empty on solving the problem. I think this is just one of those bug's in the game we'd have to learn how to live with...:dead:

Rockin Robbins
04-06-08, 06:53 PM
Use the search function and find the half dozen threads over the months about this situation.

TheBlobThing
04-06-08, 07:29 PM
Use the search function and find the half dozen threads over the months about this situation.
Actually I tried that, but it won't search for the word 'sun' (too short).

Being a regular lurker on this board I didn't think I missed anything. :oops:

Maybe you could be so kind as to point me in the direction of one of the threads I apparently missed?

Thanks in advance.

Canonicus
04-06-08, 08:39 PM
If you enable Gamma Correction under FSAA. ( with Nhancer)...you will no longer get the sunhalo effect...

However, as a consequence...the sun (and other bright effects , like explosions), will no longer shine through solid objects, like the periscope shears, for example.
Looks like a trade-off.

Pick one....and live with it. :damn:

TheBlobThing
04-06-08, 08:42 PM
Damn choices. Thanks for the info tho'. Think I'll live with the semi-see-through boat then...

Canonicus
04-06-08, 08:52 PM
Well when you consider that you actually very seldom need to be looking directly at the sun anyway, ( you know...bad for the old optic nerve) and the fact that most ( but not all , of course) ,exterior shots probably will contain the sun shining when viewed at certain angles....

You'll be seeing the sun halo far more often that the see -through sun effect.

vickers03
04-07-08, 04:00 AM
the problem also exist in SH3,
however, some objects can be made solid by
adding the RaytracedHalo controller
with s3edit, but it doesn't seem to work
on all objects..:hmm:

devs - need a hint!!:lol:

TheBlobThing
04-07-08, 05:38 AM
I noticed that whenever the sun gets obscured by clouds the halo dissappears, so why they haven't given the same properties to other materials is beyond me :hmm:

Canonicus, that's true, not a big problem, just wanted some information about it.

DrBeast
04-07-08, 06:27 AM
Just an FYI: ATi cards capable of producing sun halo (2xxx series and up, I believe) are also affected. As a previous owner of an ATi X1650Pro (and a 9600Pro before that), and a current owner of an ATi HD3650, I can live with that! :D