PDA

View Full Version : Dual Display

Buffalo9
04-04-08, 03:45 PM
Anyone running more than 1 monitor??
Is it possible to drag my nav map over to my other monitor and keep it there?
I've tried but everytime I click on my second monitor it just minimizes the game, tried windowed mode but nogo.
I use Ultramon to control the monitors.

Khourieat
04-04-08, 03:49 PM
I've tried but everytime I click on my second monitor it just minimizes the game, tried windowed mode but nogo.

I doubt it, the windowed mode seems to just remove the borders, the game minimizes any time you try to do anything outside of it, which is pretty lame. I mostly use my second monitor to show reference at this point (a map from replacementdocs.com, which seems to be useless), I'd love to get some more useful info I can show on there but it's hard to gather game info from the forums, since I'm not even sure what I'd be looking for.

I also keep up my CPU/RAM usage display on there, to see how taxing the game is, thankfully it doesn't seem to stress my system too much so far. I should try running SH4 and World of Warcraft at the same time, on different monitors, to see what that does :hmm:

Monica Lewinsky
04-04-08, 04:08 PM

I have been running dual monitors for years on my PC. Even on my laptop, I prefer using the laptop's screen and a second monitor.

The questions you ask ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO DO!

When the mouse pointer in SHIII and/or SH4 gets the the edge of the screen it is being played on, either/both games get automatically minimized to the Task Bar. It's the way that your friends at Microsoft decided to handle it.

Outside of the scope of gaming, I think one of the STUPIDEST things Microsoft ever forgot to do was to EXTEND the Windows Task Bar to both or all monitors. It is a CONSTANT HASSLE for me to move back to the main monitor just to get access to the Task Bar.

At one point I had four [4] monitors on my old machine. I retired it --- two-dual port video cards. I junked it because gaming was impossible - the onboard RAM on each card was only 128 meg - nice for viewing different things except for a game.

I got one customer hooked up to ten [10] monitors! I have 2-ATI 4 video port cards (PCI based) and one dual video port PCI card. Each LCD screen is 22". Next time I do work for him this year, I will take pictures of it and post it.

Khourieat
04-04-08, 04:14 PM
Wait, why would it be Microsoft's fault that the game minimizes?

I do this with World of Warcraft all the time, it runs windowed and I can go web browsing or whatever while the game is running, and it doesn't minimize.

I don't really get why SH4 has a windowed mode if it's going to minimize anyway, seems silly...but this was a MS decision? Wouldn't it be up to Ubi?

Monica Lewinsky
04-04-08, 05:39 PM
I don't really get why SH4 has a windowed mode if it's going to minimize anyway, seems silly...but this was a MS decision? Wouldn't it be up to Ubi?

Pointless, he wants to put one game menu on one screen, and in the same game, another in game menu on the other monitor - IMPOSSIBLE to do is the answer. Any other discussion is a wee-wee contest.

longam
04-04-08, 06:38 PM
Using Flight Sim X from MS I undock any console I want and drag it to my second monitor. Its been this way for a few versions.

Buffalo9
04-04-08, 07:25 PM
Monica: It's definitly not a MS OS issue, it's the game coding.
I run FSX with 2 monitors. SH4 would have to give use the ability to undock the nav map and move it over, which apparently it doesn't. It would be very cool to have the ability to drag sonar, radar or mapping over to another monitor(hint hint)

If you use UltraMon for dual monitors it will allow you to move the taskbar, extend the taskbar and flip it anyway you want so that's not an issue.

Monica Lewinsky
04-07-08, 09:14 AM
If you use UltraMon for dual monitors ...
Tried it once for a day. Did NOT like it at all. THX, though.

lancerr
04-07-08, 10:13 AM
Now wouldn't this be nice.

http://id.iit.edu/%7Esriramt/Misc/SplitScreen.jpg

peabody
04-07-08, 11:16 AM
Is there a way to mod out the program minimizing when it loses focus. If there was you could use this like putting a clock on the second monitor so you don't have that huge thing in the way. Or maybe something like Mobo that is stand alone could be put on the second monitor. I don't know enough to know if it's possible but if it was, I'm sure people would come up with things to put on the second monitor, but like Khourieat said the game minimizes every time you try to do something on the other monitor.

Peabody

Buffalo9
04-07-08, 04:59 PM
I use Ultramon to control the monitors. Is there a way to mod out the program minimizing when it loses focus. If there was you could use this like putting a clock on the second monitor so you don't have that huge thing in the way. Or maybe something like Mobo that is stand alone could be put on the second monitor. I don't know enough to know if it's possible but if it was, I'm sure people would come up with things to put on the second monitor, but like Khourieat said the game minimizes every time you try to do something on the other monitor.

Peabody

I'm not sure but if it were possible but it would up the sales numbers UBI...hint hint wink wink

XLjedi
04-07-08, 10:06 PM
I've played windowed with MoBo on a second monitor. As mentioned, the game minimzed when clicking out of the window, but when clicking back to the game, MoBo wouldn't minimize... so there was some benefit. I could see my attack solutions on navmap captures while playing.

I've been asking for dual monitor support dating back to an SH4 most wanted features thread on the Ubi-forum that was probably there like a year before the game was even released... I wouldn't hold yer breath.

There's even a recent thread here for most wanted features of SH5, where once again, I post only asking to use dual monitors. Seems that multi-window support is something that only a scarce few games offer.