PDA

View Full Version : Rescuing japanese survivors.

Sirkam
04-04-08, 05:15 AM
Is it possible to pick up the japanese survivors (of a downed aircraft or sunk ship)? i try it but i cant :shifty:.

Torplexed
04-04-08, 05:52 AM
Although US subs did occasionally pick Japanese survivors from the sea you can't in the game. It was tricky enough event in real life. Most wrecked Japanese merchant seamen found drifting about were hungry, dehydrated, exhausted and more than willing to be picked up. Japanese pilots however, were sometimes over infused with the Bushido spirit or the stress of their recent combat. They often drowned themselves when approached or attacked their rescuers.

Sirkam
04-04-08, 06:01 AM
Bad for them.... i'll continue rescuing US crew downed.
By the way, is it possible in the U-Boat Missions pack pick up Japanese survivors with a German sub?

Torplexed
04-04-08, 06:08 AM
By the way, is it possible in the U-Boat Missions pack pick up Japanese survivors with a German sub?
Good question. I haven't seen any downed Japanese pilots yet as a Monsoon U-Boat commander. Depends on whether it's been coded. In real life it would depend on how well-briefed that Japanese pilot or crew was on foreign sub silhouettes. ;) Most likely they'd see those European faces and panic a bit.

Nisgeis
04-04-08, 06:15 AM
Although US subs did occasionally pick Japanese survivors from the sea you can't in the game. It was tricky enough event in real life.

Tricky indeed. I think seamen who worked on merchant ships are were not trained as warriors would allow themselves to be rescued, but Imperial Navy sailors were different. Here's an account from the USS Hawkbill, regarding survivors:

"For about 30 minutes we tried everything possible to capture (rescue) an officer or sailor, but not a single one would allow themselves to be taken, choosing instead to drown himself."

Sirkam
04-04-08, 06:18 AM
Good question. I haven't seen any downed Japanese pilots yet as a Monsoon U-Boat commander. Depends on whether it's been coded. In real life it would depend on how well-briefed that Japanese pilot or crew was on foreign sub silhouettes. ;) Most likely they'd see those European faces and panic a bit.
Mmm... i think i'll do a mission with the builder (with a japanese ships, an american DD and me with a Type IXD2 sub) and i'll see if i can pick up the japanese survivors with the german sub :hmm:.

Torplexed
04-04-08, 06:20 AM
Although US subs did occasionally pick Japanese survivors from the sea you can't in the game. It was tricky enough event in real life.
Tricky indeed. I think seamen who worked on merchant ships are were not trained as warriors would allow themselves to be rescued, but Imperial Navy sailors were different. Here's an account from the USS Hawkbill, regarding survivors:

"For about 30 minutes we tried everything possible to capture (rescue) an officer or sailor, but not a single one would allow themselves to be taken, choosing instead to drown himself."

Good account. :up:That sounds about par for the course. The Japanese Imperial Army was even worse. I read once about a Japanese officer who was wounded fighting in China in the 1930s. He awoke in a Chinese hospital being tended by a Chinese doctor. After recovering, he killed the doctor, walked back to the spot where he was wounded and committed seppuku. That's just way overdoing the honor thing.:nope:

rrmelend
04-04-08, 02:21 PM
Check out this link if you want to see what a Japanese pilot did when a US destroyer tried to pick him up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Resu471zQ0

Sirkam
04-07-08, 06:29 AM
:eek:. That's the real life for a downed Jap pilot...

Gezoes
04-07-08, 07:51 AM
That's doctrine for ya... :shifty:

Unique footage though :huh:

d@rk51d3
04-07-08, 04:58 PM
Mmm... i think i'll do a mission with the builder (with a japanese ships, an american DD and me with a Type IXD2 sub) and i'll see if i can pick up the japanese survivors with the german sub :hmm:.

Intercepted a small British convoy just off of Western Australia, during a career patrol and had assistance from Japanes planes. One was downed, and we picked him up just fine.:up: