PDA

View Full Version : I don't like it

slupanter
03-21-08, 05:58 PM
i think sh4 is a bit weird to use and not a usable as sh3. i think ubisoft should have rereleased sh3 with sh4 graphics.

rulle34
03-21-08, 06:03 PM
Like SH 5 Atlantic:up:

LukeFF
03-21-08, 06:38 PM
:roll:

Wilcke
03-21-08, 07:33 PM
i think sh4 is a bit weird to use and not a usable as sh3. i think ubisoft should have rereleased sh3 with sh4 graphics.

Yeah, the fishing has been awful here too, this low pressure front has really messed things up.:up:

Torplexed
03-21-08, 07:46 PM
i think sh4 is a bit weird to use and not a usable as sh3. i think ubisoft should have re released sh3 with sh4 graphics.
Yes....Ubi should just knock out a new U-Boat sim every two years. All other nationalities were just posers.

*sigh* the ONE successful submarine campaign in history is of no interest. If the US had lost the undersea war in the Pacific in spectacular underdog style with 75% losses, people would probably be clamoring to play SH4. :roll:

Rockin Robbins
03-21-08, 08:00 PM
If Geraldine Ferraro hadn't said what she said about and Bush hadn't been President and Mars had been in retrograde and the Pentagon..... Well, if times were normal the game woulda been fine but it's like all whacked and that's that.

Really, like everything should like work like SH3 and the crew should like speak German and like the American TDC blows and it should like have the same stuff as the U-Boat man because like it's weird.:88)

joegrundman
03-21-08, 08:00 PM
This is the U-boat missions forum, so my guess is he's talking about the interface.

If so, while it's true that a couple of babies were thrown out with the bathwater in the transition from the SH3 to the SH4 interface, i think you'll find the SH4 interface is fine once you are used to it, and on the whole an improvement.

stabiz
03-21-08, 08:10 PM
i think sh4 is a bit weird to use and not a usable as sh3. i think ubisoft should have re released sh3 with sh4 graphics.
Yes....Ubi should just knock out a new U-Boat sim every two years. All other nationalities were just posers.

*sigh* the ONE successful submarine campaign in history is of no interest. If the US had lost the undersea war in the Pacific in spectacular underdog style with 75% losses, people would probably be clamoring to play SH4. :roll:

Maybe, but we will never know. For me its just as much the geographic side, as its just a wast space of places I have no knowledge about.

The German submarine war is the perfect scenario for a computer game, it starts off easy and nicely, and quicly turn into a question of when (not if) you die.

Nobody is going to come into your home and steal your SH4 disc, even when an Atlantic campaign is released, so dont worry. The Pacific is there for you, if you want it.

AVGWarhawk
03-21-08, 08:12 PM
I was not enamered with the interface at first either but over a few hours, it is quite nice. Some more interaction with the crew would be nice also. I'm glad SH4 is not SH3, I needed a change of pace from the gray foreboding Atlantic and no matter how many vessels I sunk....I still lost the war. Then again, when using GWX I usually did not survive my first patrol anyway hence my "First Patrol Your Dead Club". We did not have many members because most did not return after their first patrol. :dead: Give it some time slupanter it will all come together.

badaboom
03-21-08, 08:17 PM
Give it some tlme,it will grow on you and you'll LOVE it!!!:rock:

ReallyDedPoet
03-21-08, 08:35 PM
Most played sim for the past year :yep: Been playing it since 1.0. Give it some time, if you still don't like it no harm done.

RDP

Ducimus
03-21-08, 08:45 PM

The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic.

Lagger123987
03-21-08, 09:16 PM

The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic.

Like harbor raids...

stabiz
03-21-08, 09:20 PM
Why are all the PTO brass all over a thread about the interface of SH4 in the uboat addon?

Kpt. Lehmann
03-22-08, 11:10 AM
Why are all the PTO brass all over a thread about the interface of SH4 in the uboat addon?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Penelope_Grey
03-22-08, 11:31 AM
Well at least you're honest slupanter. Can't criticise you for that.:up:

SH4 in my opinion, whether you play U-Boat or Fleetboat, takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. And despite many attempts on my part, SH4 just is not second nature to me.

Rockin Robbins
03-22-08, 12:10 PM
That SH3/GWX2/OLC GUI does not take a back seat to SH4UBM in my opinion. I'm doing the training mission for Wolves at War and right now, with that configuration, SH3's interface is better than SH4UBM. It's not enough better to say that one or the other is crap, though, and certainly not the basis of a "UBI SUCKS AND MUST DIE SLOWLY, HORRIBLY AND PAINFULLY" post. I don't characterize the OP as one of those anyway.

Things change. Everybody has a better idea. Just think of all the great books that were ruined when the movie makers couldn't leave well enough alone. The same thing is happening here. Sometimes change doesn't happen to make things better, it just happens for reasons of its own, like the desire to put your name on an interface.

Me? I like keyboard commands. Using the Trigger Maru interface as a starting point, I just change the keyboard layout to do the functions I want and don't really worry about the button bar. But if you want, the button bar is editable too. What's not to like?

CCIP
03-22-08, 12:20 PM
Personal preference, folks. I actually liked the SHIV interface much, much more than SHIIIs since Day 1. I think the devs did an excellent job (in all but the pointless changing of the key configuration - huh?! That's why I did my commands.cfg mod right away to make all the key shortcuts exactly the same as SHIIIs!) :hmm:

AVGWarhawk
03-22-08, 02:05 PM
The real question here is......how moddable is the interface to our liking? :hmm: Other than adding some more buttons and texture work, what else can be done with it to make it the interfaces of all interfaces?

-Pv-
03-22-08, 02:17 PM
"Why are all the PTO brass all over a thread about the interface of SH4 in the uboat addon?"

And why not since it's a combined game where the interface is almost identical. I guess the thread title should have been:
"SH4UBM I hate the UI and Pacific players stay out because we want to rant private like"
-Pv-

AVGWarhawk
03-22-08, 02:39 PM
Ok well, so much for stemming some interest in getting a better interface then offered with the original game. The games inner workings are the same no matter what we are bobbing around in so those concentrating on the U's and those concentrating the F's can work together working out issues/problems for the common good of all.

Jimbuna
03-22-08, 02:45 PM
The way I see it is that SHIV has so much promise......the PTO is a vast area.

Look what has already been achieved in SHIV by some very talented people.

Just imagine what may be achieved in the months and years ahead.

All that is needed is a little patience.

AVGWarhawk
03-22-08, 02:48 PM

Right on Jimbuna!!!! In less than year it has grown like it was on steroids.

Jimbuna
03-22-08, 03:19 PM

Well my prediction is it'll grow to gigantean proportions in a year or two.

http://www.gifs.cc/Bear1p.gif

AVGWarhawk
03-22-08, 04:16 PM
Yes Jim, the potential is enormous. This forum has some modders with wonderful imagination who know how to bring that imagination to life. Top notch.

Penelope_Grey
03-22-08, 04:25 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/Penny/godzilla.jpg

Jimbuna
03-22-08, 04:30 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/Spider-Hulk/Penny/godzilla.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/NorthernBel/Smilies/lol2.gif

Hey!!....my 5 year old nephew has got one exactly like that. http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/7975/gigglebigtb9fg3.gif

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9162/godzillaloveok8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

AVGWarhawk
03-22-08, 07:20 PM
Hey, can we mod Godzilla into the Pacific? After all, that is were the lizard spawned, hatched or however he came about. Mostly rubber and glue in a studio I'm guessing. Secret weapon!!!

Torplexed
03-22-08, 08:30 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9162/godzillaloveok8.jpg

Awwwwww. :lol: Diplomacy is always the best option.

I seem to remember seeing some badly dubbed Godzilla movie where he helped some Japanese soldiers rout some American Marines in a WW2 island battle. There's all the excuse we need for a Pacific Godzilla mod. ;)

clayton
03-22-08, 09:55 PM

SH4 in my opinion, whether you play U-Boat or Fleetboat, takes a hell of a lot of getting used to. And despite many attempts on my part, SH4 just is not second nature to me.

Wow, I see the fanboys(girls) are out...!!!:lol:

PTO Brass??? I see they aren't the only ones trolling...

bigboywooly
03-22-08, 10:31 PM

Was there any need for that post ?
Pen actually plays SH4
Does that not entitle her to post ?

Talk about trolling :roll:

clayton
03-22-08, 10:51 PM

Pen actually plays SH4

What makes you think you need to answer my post?

I suppose I should have ended it with LOL and all would be good, eh? Isn't that the standard with you guys?

Please!

Kpt. Lehmann
03-22-08, 11:05 PM

Pen actually plays SH4

What makes you think you need to answer my post?

I suppose I should have ended it with LOL and all would be good, eh? Isn't that the standard with you guys?

Please!

Here's a thought, clayton. How about you knock it off with the axe grinding and pot-stirring... ad go sink some Japanese shipping instead.

clayton
03-22-08, 11:19 PM

Sorry!

I suppose I should have been more suttle.

Well, I'm off to find those Uboats in the Indian Ocean...

Kpt. Lehmann
03-22-08, 11:33 PM

Sorry!

You mean 'subtle like the three ding-dongs who rated this thread a "1" after an opinion was calmly stated' ???

At least our guys (and gals) are mature enough to have a sail in the occasional fleet-boat without breaking out in a rash... or whatever it is that the PTO hardcore-simulation-game-flag-wavers get when contemplating a sail in a U-boat.:rotfl:

CCIP
03-22-08, 11:37 PM
Alright, let's everyone just calm down and stop this now. :-?

I don't think anyone in this thread needs any more not-so-subtle jabs.

clayton
03-22-08, 11:42 PM

Sorry!

You mean 'subtle like the three ding-dongs who rated this thread a "1" after an opinion was calmly stated' ???

At least our guys (and gals) are mature enough to have a sail in the occasional fleet-boat without breaking out in a rash... or whatever it is that the PTO hardcore-simulation-game-flag-wavers get when contemplating a sail in a U-boat.:rotfl:

You know I actually attempted to look up subtle...

Your right, my rash over my spelling error is about the same BSA as when I play SH3. :damn:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-22-08, 11:55 PM
I'm beginning to think that MOST Silent-Hunter series players.... need psychological therapy.

<Here now... lie down on the bunk and tell me about your boat.>

<mmHmm... scribbles notes... mhmm.>

<Do you feel the occasional urge to torpedo yourself?>

<Do you feel as if the C.O.B. is undressing you with his eyes?>

<Do you feel that you are becoming a Nazi when you climb into a U-boat?>

<Do you enjoy German or American sausage?>

<What does this ink-blot look like to you.>

:|\\

clayton
03-23-08, 12:03 AM
I'm beginning to think that MOST Silent-Hunter series players.... need psychological therapy.

Alright, alright... It's 1:00 a.m. here in Savannah and I'm off to bed. You know, I'm going to catch hell for this one tomorrow!!!

Until next time Lehmann...

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 12:06 AM

Alright, alright... It's 1:00 a.m. here in Savannah and I'm off to bed. You know, I'm going to catch hell for this one tomorrow!!!

Cheers! See you then, matey.:up: :up: :up: (Truce for Easter Sunday?)

clayton
03-23-08, 12:09 AM

Cheers! See you then, matey.:up: :up: :up: (Truce for Easter Sunday?)

Truce! :up:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 12:17 AM
Coolio. Make sure to wear clean bell-bottoms in the morning.:arrgh!: White shows dirt so easily.

clayton
03-23-08, 12:27 AM
Coolio. Make sure to wear clean bell-bottoms in the morning.:arrgh!: White shows dirt so easily.

You worry about ironing that dress of yours. I'll handle my bell-bottoms. :rotfl:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 12:32 AM

You son of a *****. You waited until I logged out to get the last word in!

You worry about ironing that dress of yours. I'll handle my bell-bottoms. :rotfl:

Now, I'm out!!!

AHA! I logged back in too! Take that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tell you what though. I almost WOULD WEAR A DRESS to church if CCIP would promise to STOP posting pictures of himself here at Subsim. <Gawd! I thought I was ugly.:dead:>

clayton
03-23-08, 12:36 AM

Now, I'm out!!!

I tell you what though. I almost WOULD WEAR A DRESS to church if CCIP would promise to STOP posting pictures of himself here at Subsim. <Gawd! I thought I was ugly.:dead:>

Damnit :nope:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 12:41 AM

Now, I'm out!!!

Damnit :nope:

I know, man... I know. Those images of CCIP just get burned into your mind and there is JUST no way to get them OUT! Sorry you had to see them. That pukey-gak-fu feeling becomes tolerable given enough time.:shifty: Its just that there are SO MANY of them. Some people just have no mercy.

CCIP
03-23-08, 01:25 AM
:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!:/\\!!
I KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL YOU ALL
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/Otohiko/015-1.jpg

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 02:00 AM
See what I mean clayton?

Part #259 of the CCIP fashion show.:doh: Somebody please take CCIP's cameras and mirrors away.:stare:

Now he has the nerve to claim lines from 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist.'

S'okay though. Privateer beat him to it.

nikimcbee
03-23-08, 02:36 AM
Like SH 5 Atlantic:up:

Haven't you heard, SH5 the Wolves of the Great Lakes. Holland Boats.

nikimcbee
03-23-08, 02:44 AM

...or something like this:
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6134/dylan3xh3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

Fee Fi fo Fum, I thought I smelled the blood of an Englishman. I will destroy you all.

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 06:28 AM

This is the most intelligent analysis I have read to date on this forum. We do need psychological therapy. A bottle of prescibed pills might be in order as well. We are all bobbing around in our gray matter looking at a pixel world destroying pixel ships in our pixel submarines. We all live in a pixel submarine, a pixel submarine, a pixel submarine... (sung to the Beatles Yellow Submarine). Don't forget the marmalade skys brought to you by ROW! BTW, the ink blot looks like the oil pouring out of that fat pixel tanker I just whacked with my pixel torpedo. :p I like German sausage...it' in my blood and I can prove were it came from back to the 1700's in Germany.

Get over this folks. The schoolyard banter is really getting us nowhere and very fast. Now go to your pixel world with pixel ships and sink them with your pixel torpedo in your favorite pixel boat. Straight jackets for everyone!!! This round is on me! I hope I get one in a off-brown color. It favors my eyes. I hope my padded cell is very plush just in case I have some entertaining to do. :doh: Nurse Ratchet, we are going to watch the damn World Series. This place really is the Coo-Coo Nest. "Badia, badia, badia....that's all folks".....Porky Pig. Hmmmm, is Porky German or American....does this relate back to the sausage question? :hmm: Good night Gracie.

Jimbuna
03-23-08, 07:06 AM

WTF!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/c_jane24/Smileys/4_6_100.gif.....I AM ON MY WAY RIGHT NOW!! http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img144/2472/angrydriveral3.gif

Somebody might want to call a http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/waaaaaaa.jpg

I hope they're carrying some pixel plasters and bandages http://www.spreadtheiris.com/images/smilies/smacka.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/drunkcob.gif

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 07:24 AM

I didn't even want to get into that one!! :rotfl:

nikimcbee
03-23-08, 08:40 AM

WTF!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/c_jane24/Smileys/4_6_100.gif.....I AM ON MY WAY RIGHT NOW!! http://imgcash2.imageshack.us/img144/2472/angrydriveral3.gif

Somebody might want to call a http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/waaaaaaa.jpg

I hope they're carrying some pixel plasters and bandages http://www.spreadtheiris.com/images/smilies/smacka.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd320/pasquarade/drunkcob.gif

Jimbuna, you naughty little boy....
I never knew!

D'oh too late!
http://www.dudehisattva.com/fatrushturd.jpg

http://www.dolcevitapets.com/blog/upload/2007/08/flying_laser_dogs/DrEvil%20_orig.JPG

Bewolf
03-23-08, 12:15 PM
Best thread on the subject so far. I've always enjoyed subs and played SH3 into oblivion. Then looked forward to SH IV and the Pacific.

Granted, I didn't like SHIV at first, most for the interface, distance to immersion compared to SHIII and game bugs. Took all the fun out of it at first. But by now it is a pretty playable game with tons of potential.
I liked the subject matter and sailing an american sub was highly interesting, though a bit boring in the long as things actually became easier over time. I never ment that to piss of the Pacific folks, but because that was my honest impression. And japanese ASW was a joke compared to the threats mastered before. Nevertheless, it was fun, a whole new atmosphere and great joy.

Till the U boat missions were announced. First I was really looking forward to it, but then I felt the hate. Pacific drivers, instead of beeing happy for the u boat crowds and the potential of a truly global game, which also includes lots of US Atlantic action potential, got all hostile and passive agressive all of a sudden. U boat disses whereever you looked. A huge dissapointment right there.

Phrases like "The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic." makes me shake my head. These ppl obviously grew up in a world of propaganda, where their own ppl were daring heroes on dangerous missions, while the enemy was a grey dull mass of brainless order executers. A grave lack of education in these regards.

That came and still comes as a great dissapointment and actually gave me a pretty "anti" stance towards the Pacific and their followers. Which is a shame really.

So this thread may help in that. I intended to open a thread just for the purpose of clearing things up anyways. And I am more then willing to bet that some of those hostile pacific fans only started acting this way because they got burned themselves by some atlantic morons. So it's not a one sided thing.

joea
03-23-08, 12:24 PM
Well said Bewolf!!:up:

Ducimus
03-23-08, 12:46 PM
Phrases like "The irony, is that many of the "daring do" exploits people like to do in their virtual uboats, actually occured in the pacific and not the atlantic." makes me shake my head. These ppl obviously grew up in a world of propaganda, where their own ppl were daring heroes on dangerous missions, while the enemy was a grey dull mass of brainless order executers. A grave lack of education in these regards.

Actually, i'm very well and equally versed in both The Atlantic U-boat campaign AND the Pacific submarine campaign. My statement stands. Sorry for busting your bubble with a little dash of reality.

edit:

Till the U boat missions were announced. First I was really looking forward to it, but then I felt the hate. Pacific drivers, instead of beeing happy for the u boat crowds and the potential of a truly global game, which also includes lots of US Atlantic action potential, got all hostile and passive agressive all of a sudden. U boat disses whereever you looked. A huge dissapointment right there.

Imagine that the last Uboat sim was SH1, (made 12 years ago), and every sim since then, you've had nothing but Fleetboats shoved at you when all you wanted was a Uboat sim. So you finally get a uboat sim, and not too long there after, people start trying to convert it back to ANOTHER fleetboat sim. Whats more, since it has such a huge and rabid fanboy following, it threatens to stunt the growth of the campaign you wanted because the majority of community efforts will go to the theater that youve had to put up for several years. AND THEN, you have Fleetboat fans making posts like this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=810753&postcount=33

You might just be a little upset.

MGR1
03-23-08, 01:11 PM

Actually, i'm very well and equally versed in both The Atlantic U-boat campaign AND the Pacific submarine campaign. My statement stands. Sorry for busting your bubble with a little dash of reality.

edit:

Imagine that the last Uboat sim was SH1, (made 12 years ago), and every sim since then, you've had nothing but Fleetboats shoved at you when all you wanted was a Uboat sim. So you finally get a uboat sim, and not too long there after, people start trying to convert it back to ANOTHER fleetboat sim. Whats more, since it has such a huge and rabid fanboy following, it threatens to stunt the growth of the campaign you wanted because the majority of community efforts will go to the theater that youve had to put up for several years. AND THEN, you have Fleetboat fans making posts like this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=810753&postcount=33

What the man said.:rock:

That post Duci quoted is just asking for trouble.

I prefer the Fleet Boats because I have fond memories of SH1 and also like the change from the Germans.

Having said that I'll still get the addon for any extras included for the Pacific.

If I want to go back to the ETO, give me a S, T or U Class boat.:up:

Mike.

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 01:53 PM
Best thread on the subject so far. I've always enjoyed subs and played SH3 into oblivion. Then looked forward to SH IV and the Pacific.

I played SH3 to death. It was time for a change of scenery.

Granted, I didn't like SHIV at first, most for the interface, distance to immersion compared to SHIII and game bugs. Took all the fun out of it at first. But by now it is a pretty playable game with tons of potential.
I liked the subject matter and sailing an american sub was highly interesting, though a bit boring in the long as things actually became easier over time. I never ment that to piss of the Pacific folks, but because that was my honest impression. And japanese ASW was a joke compared to the threats mastered before. Nevertheless, it was fun, a whole new atmosphere and great joy.

Yes, the Pacific does not seem as gripping as the Atlantic but again, new atmosphere and new game to enjoy. I also got tired of getting spanked all the time in the Atlantic.

I'm extemely happy for the u boat crowd. The SH4 engine is very nice and I would hope the u boat crowd would take advantage of it. It seems some are doing so. I see Penelope is getting very active with it. She is an avid fan of the u boats. Quite frankly, once a decent mod for the SH4 uboats in the Atlantic is available, I will certainly patrol those waters again. As far as the 'dissess', the 'dissing' was mutual.

You just might want to stand back and qualify this statement. Very open ended and open for ridicule. Is this were the 'dissing' comes into play from the u boat fan?

That came and still comes as a great dissapointment and actually gave me a pretty "anti" stance towards the Pacific and their followers. Which is a shame really.

Sorry for your disappointment. No were in the manual did it say the player must make Bewolf happy. For that matter the manual did not say much of anything.

So this thread may help in that. I intended to open a thread just for the purpose of clearing things up anyways. And I am more then willing to bet that some of those hostile pacific fans only started acting this way because they got burned themselves by some atlantic morons. So it's not a one sided thing.

I recommend you do not start such a thread. The only clear thing I see here is your distaste for the other members of the forum who would like the Pacific. Therefore, any thoughts of yours look to be skewed. I also detect a bit of hostility towards a certain member. That member has been a bit hostile as well. Mutual hostility. I see your post here as one sided. But hey, that is just me. I think perhaps is a good time to move on from this thread.

Jimbuna
03-23-08, 02:06 PM

http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img104/2807/icontennisyk3.gif

Time to get comfortable perhaps http://imgcash1.imageshack.us/img231/3134/popcorn3dv3.gif

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 02:22 PM

http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img104/2807/icontennisyk3.gif

Time to get comfortable perhaps http://imgcash1.imageshack.us/img231/3134/popcorn3dv3.gif

Popcorn! Yummy:D

Bewolf
03-23-08, 02:28 PM
[quote=Bewolf]

Actually, i'm very well and equally versed in both The Atlantic U-boat campaign AND the Pacific submarine campaign.

No, you are not. Else you'd know that attacking an allied Convoy in 44 alone was as, if not more dangerous then anything the US boats faced, and that includes the heavy stuff like harbor intrusions. Not to start about Scapa Flow or some of the actions involved with the delivery of agents to the US, Canada and the UK. So saying the daring stuff was in the Pacific while the Atlantic was just about convoy duty is a bit....far fetched.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=33 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=810753&postcount=33)

And herein lies the confusion.

1. Even if it was a "conversion", which it is not, nobody forces you to download and play it. Just because others look forward to having fun with stuff "they" like, opposite what "you" like, is no reason to get offensive whatsoever. Besides even if this stuff is modded for the Atlantic, the Pacific won't go away. That is the great thing about the addon, that it enables you to play "both" sides within "one" game. By my logic it can't become any better.
So this appears like a simple jealousy born line of argument. Or do you think that with the development of mods for the atlantic the pacific becomes any worse? Or does not get the attention you think it deserves? It's all in the modders hands.

Look, you got a great game here. SH IV now with all the patches is one of the best sub sims there are. Immersion and atmosphere is at it's top. It is a game that, going by your line of argument, fleetboat fans could only dream about for years. But it's here now, it has everything in place to make it even greater. The Atlantic fans have their modders, and so have the Pacific folks. So seriously, where is the problem?

2. That link you posted blows. It was completly uncalled for and I certainly understand your frustration over it. No argument here.

Bewolf
03-23-08, 02:40 PM
I played SH3 to death. It was time for a change of scenery.

Speak for yourself.

Yes, the Pacific does not seem as gripping as the Atlantic but again, new atmosphere and new game to enjoy. I also got tired of getting spanked all the time in the Atlantic.

Just fair, your conclusion.

As far as the 'dissess', the 'dissing' was mutual.

Which I adressed in my post, if you actually read it.

You just might want to stand back and qualify this statement. Very open ended and open for ridicule. Is this were the 'dissing' comes into play from the u boat fan?

Not more or less open for ridicule then the original posting. That was just asking for debate. If you let that slip and concentrate on my posting, it is pretty much obvious where your stance is in this.

Sorry for your disappointment. No were in the manual did it say the player must make Bewolf happy. For that matter the manual did not say much of anything.

Pity, thought this could be done without involving names.

I recommend you do not start such a thread. The only clear thing I see here is your distaste for the other members of the forum who would like the Pacific. Therefore, any thoughts of yours look to be skewed. I also detect a bit of hostility towards a certain member. That member has been a bit hostile as well. Mutual hostility. I see your post here as one sided. But hey, that is just me. I think perhaps is a good time to move on from this thread.

Actually an advise I will take. By what you read and see and detect I agree that it indeed does not make much sense to go on here. And I do not have the patience to talk you out of your manyfold assumptions.

JREX53
03-23-08, 03:42 PM
Beowolf,

QUOTE:
"No, you are not. Else you'd know that attacking an allied Convoy in 44 alone was as, if not more dangerous then anything the US boats faced, and that includes the heavy stuff like harbor intrusions. Not to start about Scapa Flow or some of the actions involved with the delivery of agents to the US, Canada and the UK. So saying the daring stuff was in the Pacific while the Atlantic was just about convoy duty is a bit....far fetched."

Just one question to you?

You say you are more versed on BOTH the U-Boat Atlantic War and the American
Fleetboat War.

Could you please give some references for your statements?

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 03:54 PM
Bewolf:
Actually an advise I will take. By what you read and see and detect I agree that it indeed does not make much sense to go on here. And I do not have the patience to talk you out of your manyfold assumptions.

Wise decision. Thus far, over a year I have yet to see a dicussion on this matter that makes any headway into the differences and the stalwart desire for any of the threaters to reign. I do not see it happening in this thread either. It makes no sense really why this type of discussion keeps on going. Each group seems to take the 'sucker punch' when they have the opportunity. Lets look back at the original post. The member is not happy with the interface in SH4. Fair enough. We move on.

Quote:

Pity, thought this could be done without involving names.

Your post said you were not happy. Therefore, your name went into the response. Should I have used someone elses name? Why no, that would not make much sense nor refer to YOUR discontent. This was in your post, discontent, yes? Oh never mind, you do not have the patience with my assumptions. Carry on.

tater
03-23-08, 04:05 PM
The original poster should perhaps have bothered to look at the SH4 mod FAQ. Elements of the user interface were very quickly (and easily) converted to match SH3 for those used to them.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112317

Might need tweaking for 1.5, but that would likely be solved with a bump, and a question.

tater

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 04:12 PM
Tater,

You always got the answers :up:

Madox58
03-23-08, 04:14 PM
Can't we all just get along?
:cry:
;)

Jimbuna
03-23-08, 04:26 PM
;)

Group hug http://forums.randi.org/images/smilies/grouphug5.gif

clayton
03-23-08, 04:30 PM

You forgot your GWX banner at the bottom of your sig.

You should have seen the 'dissing' from the SH3 community when SH4 came along. So much for helping a brother out.

What goes around comes around...

clayton
03-23-08, 04:33 PM

You forgot your GWX banner at the bottom of your sig.

You should have seen the 'dissing' from the SH3 community when SH4 came along. So much for helping a brother out.

What goes around comes around...

Oops!
Sorry Lehmann, Easter Day truce.

I take back what I said about the 'dissing'...

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 04:40 PM
;)

I'm with Privateer on this matter. Where this competition like atmosphere came from I do not really know. It is doing nothing but taking up our time when we could be modding, playing or having intelligent conversion.

Rockin Robbins
03-23-08, 04:45 PM
A donnybrook I'm not part of.:up: Penelope, please pass the popcorn. I'll sail my U-Boat this week and Kraken the next and be happy as can be in either. There was a U-Boat nicknamed Kraken. Which one was it?

Can we abandon the food fight and ask what interface changes we'd like? I'd LOVE to see the OLC GUI for SH4 U-Boats. Anybody know if that's possible?

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 05:19 PM
Anybody know if that's possible?

Absolutely possible. Pretty much any element of the SH4 GUI and key command set is moddable.

Takeda Shingen
03-23-08, 05:30 PM
I just love how a bunch of people come to end their conflict, saying that the action is futile. No sooner than the fire dies down, someone else come along and says 'No, I am not done fighting over this'. Productive. Very productive.

How I love the internet.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 05:32 PM
I just love how a bunch of people come to end their conflict, saying that the action is futile. No sooner than the fire dies down, someone else come along and says 'No, I am not done over this'. Productive. Very productive.

How I love the internet.

Do you mean the way you just did?

Look at the last two-three posts before yours.

Rockin Robbins
03-23-08, 05:36 PM
I believe the U-Boat should be the U-Boat and the Fleet Boat it's own animal. Any cross-fertilization to make the former sailors of one feel more comfortable in the other is, to my way of thinking, abominable. If you're a U-Boat person, make like Penelope and try to understand the Fleet Boat on its own terms. There will be a protracted period of discomfort because......it's not a U-Boat.

People from Fleet Boats trying out the U-Boat, don't ask for the U-Boat to be made more Fleet Boat friendly. It's a U-Boat and if that makes you feel uncomfortable for awhile, good! I'm enjoying being uncomfortable, without my air radar, without my position keeper, with my disorienting attack screen. I helped lots of SH3 players get their sea legs in a Fleet Boat, so I know the magnitude of the task I set myself. I enjoy that.

I might always be primarily a Fleet Boater. I don't know. But I won't stay out of U-Boats because of some hatred of SH4 becoming another U-Boat sim, because that's not happening. My plan is to have as much fun in both as I can, with the best sub simulator in the world.:rock:

Takeda Shingen
03-23-08, 05:37 PM
I just love how a bunch of people come to end their conflict, saying that the action is futile. No sooner than the fire dies down, someone else come along and says 'No, I am not done over this'. Productive. Very productive.

How I love the internet.

No, that fight is not over. Just watch. However, you have just exemplified internet quirk No. 6: Picking a fight with no motive.

Have a nice day, Kpt. Lehmann.

kiwi_2005
03-23-08, 05:46 PM

Thank God for that. Woman in submarines i just cant accept it bad omens watch out gwx your days are probably numbered... just call me an old 1940s kapitan:roll:

Calm down kiwi its just a game...right?

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 05:51 PM

How I love the internet.

No, that fight is not over. Just watch. However, you have just exemplified internet quirk No. 6: Picking a fight with no motive.

Have a nice day, Kpt. Lehmann.

@Takeda Shingen
Given your timing... YOU struck the match just as the fire had the opportunity to die down. Pass the buck on to me all you like... that sanctimonious dribble won't float.

@ RockinRobbins:

Amen. I wish I had more energy to post at the moment, but I totally agree. Not only that, but given time everyone can have their cake and will get to eat it too.

For all its quirks... the SH4 platform is a modder's playground. Great things will happen for both theaters... but it simply takes TIME! Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me... but mixing MODDING power... will benefit BOTH theaters... again given TIME!

What is it about that concept that people have such a hard time with? Neither fleet-boat or U-boat diehards will have to add a single line of code unrelated to their preferred theater.

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 05:55 PM
KL:

Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me..

Absolutely. Each will branch out on it's own and really should. I see two installs of the game coming for me. The my boat is better then your boat nonsense is just that, nonsense. Looking over the SH4 files over the past year(to the best of pea brain ability), yes, the files are modders heaven.

ReallyDedPoet
03-23-08, 06:01 PM
I see two installs of the game coming for me.

Already there, separate from the get go with 1.5. Currently enjoying the Fleet
Boats ( have been since 1.0 ) but will try the U-Boats again at some point in time.

RDP

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 06:02 PM
KL:

Mixing theaters in some sort of fictional hybrid doesn't make any sense to me..

Absolutely. Each will branch out on it's own and really should. I see two installs of the game coming for me. The my boat is better then your boat nonsense is just that, nonsense. Looking over the SH4 files over the past year(to the best of pea brain ability), yes, the files are modders heaven.

You know, the limitations as I see them have more to do with limited manpower in certain fields of modding... as opposed to platform problems.

We talk about cloning objects etc with regularity... If I could just make a couple of clones of a couple of the people here... In two years time you could simply flick a switch and sail WWII diesel subs in the nationality of your choosing... with appropriate and FULL historical (dynamic) campaigns.

If this were an FPS... we'd have modders of all sorts running out of our ears... but because this platform is made for the thinking individual... Well you get the idea.

Penelope_Grey
03-23-08, 06:08 PM
I believe the U-Boat should be the U-Boat and the Fleet Boat it's own animal. Any cross-fertilization to make the former sailors of one feel more comfortable in the other is, to my way of thinking, abominable. If you're a U-Boat person, make like Penelope and try to understand the Fleet Boat on its own terms. There will be a protracted period of discomfort because......it's not a U-Boat.

People from Fleet Boats trying out the U-Boat, don't ask for the U-Boat to be made more Fleet Boat friendly. It's a U-Boat and if that makes you feel uncomfortable for awhile, good! I'm enjoying being uncomfortable, without my air radar, without my position keeper, with my disorienting attack screen. I helped lots of SH3 players get their sea legs in a Fleet Boat, so I know the magnitude of the task I set myself. I enjoy that.

I might always be primarily a Fleet Boater. I don't know. But I won't stay out of U-Boats because of some hatred of SH4 becoming another U-Boat sim, because that's not happening. My plan is to have as much fun in both as I can, with the best sub simulator in the world.:rock:

Hi there RR.

Thanks for the show of support. I have to confess I am so used to U-Boats and to the SH3 interface everything else is alien to me. Then again... once upon a time... I had to learn to play SH3 too... I'm thankful I had a good teacher and just the right amount of prodding to get me in the right direction. lol

I actually don't mind the fleet boat at all. True I would rather be in a stinky U-Boat (with a pink wipe your feet rug at the bottom of the hatch of course) but I don't mind a fleet boat these days. SH4 is such a system hog and well... it looks great and all the rest. I keep saying this and I am deadly fecking serious... if ever a super mod like GWX comes out on SH4 that does to SH4 what GWX did to SH3 I will so be there.

And I am not talking about porting SH3 to SH4 that's just a matter of time... I'm talking about an actual supermod for SH4 and the fleetboats. That is what I am talking about. I would dearly love to see that.

Once GWX 2.1 is completed and we can all lay down our arms for a bit I may well experiment with sailing the fleet boats again. Though can see myself going for the odd foray in the IXD2 as well. ;)

Thank God for that. Woman in submarines i just cant accept it bad omens watch out gwx your days are probably numbered... just call me an old 1940s kapitan:roll:

Calm down kiwi its just a game...right?

Um... there is only one word I can think of in reply to that and its... What??? :hmm:

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 06:10 PM
@KL:

From what I understand and my extremely limited knowlege of modding other then texure work for RFB, I think Skwajer 3D modding tool has helped quite a few speed up the process. I hear nothing but good reviews of that tool. Currently with our after the war baby boomer Lurker with RSRD handling historical traffic, RFB, TM and numberous others on the long list, the Pacific has come a long way in a very short time. Run any of the two playability mods with Lurkers RSRD, the game reads like the history books.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 06:12 PM
Addenda: To be clear. Creating a separate modding forum for SH4 U-boat modding does not make sense either if that is the underlying suggestion.

Whatever growing pains that may result will be temporary in nature.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 06:16 PM
Sounds cool AVG WH. Doesn't shock me at all.

What I meant to say regarding 'nationality of your choosing at the flick of a switch' would include others as well... such as British, Italian, and basically any other combatant nation that had a viable and participating submarine naval arm.

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 06:19 PM
Sounds cool AVG WH. Doesn't shock me at all.

What I meant to say regarding 'nationality of your choosing at the flick of a switch' would include others as well... such as British, Italian, and basically any other combatant nation that had a viable and participating submarine naval arm.

Understood. I spend most of my time reading about the uboats and fleet boats. I never picked up a good book on the other countries involved with the submarines.

As a side note, I purchased a book through Subsim off Amazon, "Nothing Friendly in the Vicinity"......I looked at the inside cover and it is signed by the author:up:

Penelope_Grey
03-23-08, 06:20 PM
You may want to read about E11's foray into the Dardinels. :up:

A good moment in British Submarine history...

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 06:21 PM
Addenda: To be clear. Creating a separate modding forum for SH4 U-boat modding does not make sense either if that is the underlying suggestion.

Whatever growing pains that may result will be temporary in nature.

We had thought about a separate uboat mod forum but had the same mind set as you. Besides, there are enough forums to look after:o Not only that, exchange of ideas and how to get something working is all that much better. Two heads are always better than one.

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 06:23 PM
You may want to read about E11's foray into the Dardinels. :up:

A good moment in British Submarine history...

I was about 2 seconds away from purchasing "one of our submarines' but decided on another. I will grab this one first in the long list of other countries and their submarine service.

MONOLITH
03-23-08, 06:29 PM
If this were an FPS... we'd have modders of all sorts running out of our ears... but because this platform is made for the thinking individual... Well you get the idea.

Yeah, you're insulting a massive portion of gaming genre.

Brilliant idea.

Not all shooters are created equal. And taking such a blatant swipe at a broad spectrum of the gaming world is pretty ignorant on your part.

And even if you'd like to argue that gameplay of shooters is "inferior in sophistication" to a sim like SH4;

...modding them certainly is not, and modding them is equally as difficult.

And since you know nothing about modding shooters, you might not want to speak about it as if you do.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 06:38 PM

Yeah, you're insulting a massive portion of gaming genre.

Brilliant idea.

Not all shooters are created equal. And taking such a blatant swipe at a broad spectrum of the gaming world is pretty ignorant on your part.

And even if you'd like to argue that gameplay of shooters is "inferior in sophistication" to a sim like SH4;

...modding them certainly is not, and modding them is equally as difficult.

And since you know nothing about modding shooters, you might not want to speak about it as if you do.

Oh shut up troll. This is a submarine simulation forum. (Not a Duke Nuke'em arcade forum) You just showed your 'intelligence' with that post.

Given your posting history, I do not intend to enter into a battle of wits with the likes of you.

You are unarmed. It wouldn't be fair.

John Channing
03-23-08, 06:43 PM
People here had best remember to keep their tone civil.

JCC

MONOLITH
03-23-08, 06:44 PM
Oh shut up troll. This is a submarine simulation forum. (Not a Duke Nuke'em forum) You just showed your 'intelligence' with that post.

Given your posting history, I do not intend to enter into a battle of wits with the likes of you.

Heh. I love it when you do this.

You have no idea what you reveal about yourself when you speak this way to other members here.

CCIP
03-23-08, 06:49 PM

I think that's a huge mis-reading of Ducimius' statement.

What he's getting at is the diversity of operations, including harbor raids, commando landings, rescue missions and other such things which were indeed in greater abundance in the Pacific. If you look at the history of the conflicts, I don't think there is any way to avoid this.

It's not to diminish the individual bravery of the men in both battles; it's to say that indeed by its nature the Pacific was more diverse and provided more opportunities for unusual actions which were few in the Atlantic where the battle was almost completely mid-ocean and focused strictly on the tonnage war. And strictly on the count of diversity of the types of actions, Ducimius is right.

Penelope_Grey
03-23-08, 06:50 PM

You have no idea what you reveal about yourself when you speak this way to other members here.

Likewise.

I think we just learnt a lot about yourself there MONOLITH. We all know you can't stand Kpt. Lehmann and well... that of course is your personal right. We can't like everybody.

However... considering there is hardly a post out of you for a while... then all of a sudden Kpt. L makes a comment that can be took to task by you and you take that opportunity.

How do you know he knows nothing about modding FPS?

The point the Kpt. was making is that FPS games have a larger following than games like subsimulators do. Thus a much much larger choice of people to mod with a variety of different skills.

Games like Silent Hunter are strategy games that require a great deal of thought and patience. FPS games usually don't require very much of either. There are exceptions. If I got that point, Im quite sure others did too. Or at least, I hope so.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 06:53 PM
Oh shut up troll. This is a submarine simulation forum. (Not a Duke Nuke'em forum) You just showed your 'intelligence' with that post.

What I find to be amazing is that people like you actually believe the crap they write.

THAT absolutely floors me.

Uranus must be an inhospitable place for you to hang about. Constant exposure to all that methane gas keeping you stoned and all.

<Meanwhile back at the Subsim.com ranch... threads about sub simulation modification continue unabated...>

Elder-Pirate
03-23-08, 06:59 PM

JCC

No six guns allowed John. ;)

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 07:03 PM

JCC

No six guns allowed John. ;)

Exactly. They don't produce enough firepower to get the job done.

I'm thinking shovels may be a more appropriate tool for the moment though.

AVGWarhawk
03-23-08, 07:06 PM
Who in the heck has their hand in the cookie jar and taking more than one cookie? :nope: I left enough for eveyone. I leave and come back to this. There is going to be some paddlings going one. :nope:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 07:13 PM
Ja. Things were cooling down until a couple of numbskull sh!t-stirrers tossed in their two cents.

There's still some very useful stuff on this thread... however off topic it may have gotten to be.:shifty:

THE_MASK
03-23-08, 07:50 PM
The pacific campaign is pretty good now but the nazis need some help .

MONOLITH
03-23-08, 07:58 PM
Name calling, vulgarity, condescension, insults; those are all elements of your posts Lehmann.

I find it both laughable and distressing that anyone who calls you on your rude antics here is considered a 'sh!t-stirrer'; and that it's as tolerated as it is.

Both of our posts clearly speak for themselves. The real truth of "who's the numbskull" is fairly evident.

As we all know, Neal's given you the golden pass to act like an ass to other members here and get away with it. That's fine. Little insecure men act like real tough guys from behind their keyboards. Maybe you should bring your keyboard to the next sub meet where we can continue this discussion in person.

Go ahead now and post back some more childish insults and rants. I'm pretty much done paying attention to it. But at least you'll entertain the crowd. Everyone loves a clown.

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 11:01 PM
Name calling, vulgarity, condescension, insults; those are all elements of your posts Lehmann.

I find it both laughable and distressing that anyone who calls you on your rude antics here is considered a 'sh!t-stirrer'; and that it's as tolerated as it is.

Both of our posts clearly speak for themselves. The real truth of "who's the numbskull" is fairly evident.

As we all know, Neal's given you the golden pass to act like an ass to other members here and get away with it. That's fine. Little insecure men act like real tough guys from behind their keyboards. Maybe you should bring your keyboard to the next sub meet where we can continue this discussion in person.

Go ahead now and post back some more childish insults and rants. I'm pretty much done paying attention to it. But at least you'll entertain the crowd. Everyone loves a clown.

Interesting to see how you can somehow claim some sense of moral superiority by resorting to threats of violence against me AND a slap at Neal virtually in the same breath.

Maybe someday, you'll come down from that mountain and learn to control yourself.

Who's the big talking clown in the end? :|\\

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 11:25 PM
As much as it may distress certain SH4 players/modders...

The fact that U-boat sim modders will be getting to grips and fleshing out the SH4 platform over time to suit the ETO is LOGICAL and IMPLACABLE.

Whether it is me, GWX devs, or whoever... it is a process that is unstoppable.

You can whine, threaten, complain, write speeches, and rate threads a "1" all you like. It changes nothing.

With or without GWX... It is happening. You can either accept it and reap the side benefits that will become available for the PTO, or go away.

Signed,
The "bastard, son-of-a-bitch" from the Atlantic.:|\\

THE_MASK
03-23-08, 11:29 PM
The nazis in the game you nutter ;)

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 11:33 PM
The nazis in the game you nutter ;)

Ahh. Roger dodger.

Apologies. Didn't mean to throw you out of the foxhole with all the grenades I was shovelling out.:oops: :lol:

Edited me post.

THE_MASK
03-23-08, 11:38 PM
I was simply stating that the UBoat missions neeeds a lot of modding . Hint Hint .

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 11:46 PM
I was simply stating that the UBoat missions neeeds a lot of modding . Hint Hint .

Ja we know. Big job there. We've already begun talking about that. It will require a total reconstruction due to the SH4 campaign loading structure... and will take a great deal of time. However it is certainly doable.

Madox58
03-23-08, 11:52 PM
I was sitting here minding my own business.
Eating popcorn, working on the ********,;)
building a Udet, and UVing the Kolibri.
And you had to throw THAT in eh?
:damn:
:rotfl:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-23-08, 11:56 PM
I was sitting here minding my own business.
Eating popcorn, working on the ********,;)
building a Udet, and UVing the Kolibri.
And you had to throw THAT in eh?
:damn:
:rotfl:

Well, I didn't say we were gonna have the campaign done tomorrow.:arrgh!:

BTW, you might want to put your helmet on and duck occasionally while you are over here.

Achmed is determined to blow himself up again.:lol:

HunterICX
03-24-08, 04:25 AM
As we all know, Neal's given you the golden pass to act like an ass to other members here and get away with it..

FYI ,

for Neal stevens No-one is imume to act like an ass on these forums, no matter how much you tribute to this forum.

Maybe you should bring your keyboard to the next sub meet where we can continue this discussion in person.

Ehm...I dont think Neal would apreciate that he has to clean up 1 or 2 corpses at the shooting range;) play nice now.

Comon guys, keep the Tones down, the vulgar words etc etc this thread has entered the red zone already. So drop the mud , clean up your hands and be nice now.

HunterICX

Onkel Neal
03-24-08, 06:09 AM
I'm locking this thread for 12 hours, I can see where this is leading. :nope:

Madox58
03-24-08, 08:53 PM
That was a bit more then 12 hours, but.

Come on people.
We are all here for a very simple reason.
We all have a thing for Sub Sims!

I care less which Ocean I'm in.

I started with SH1, missed SH2 cause my computer could not run it.
So I hit SH3.

I'm into SH4, bought the day it was released and started modding it.
Do a bit of search.

I am not new to SH4.
So why all the hate?
What did I do to you but help where I could?

And by "I"?

I mean the many who started in SH3 who have moved to SH4.
I do not believe I need to list names.

Let's get over this silliness PLEASE!!

Ducimus
03-24-08, 09:25 PM

Come on people.

I think one core problem is that everyone has a vested interest in "their sub", and think "its the best". Challenge that belief, or insinuate an opposing opinion, and you ruffle feathers; sub simmers are a passionate bunch, Most of us being history geeks, and have a keen interest in something.

Trouble is, many of us only get informed on our "vested interest" because it helps us get into the game more, making the "emotional investment" all that much higher, and as by product, ignorance of the other only increases.

Having an ignorant view of someones vested interest, only polarizes them even further, and they start digging their heels in and push back a little, which only results in the same. The angst many PTO fans have, has been long time in the making. Add in a rather long wait for a PTO sub sim, and then toss in posts like "I dont want yankee-pig boats!" or "I dont want PTO!!!" that were posted on subsim before SH4 was even released, and ice that with snide comments about having beta'ed the game for the "real" campaign (that ignorant view i was talking about), and you have some really upset fans who wont put up with much messageboard BS.

I think The best way for this BS to stop:

1.) Stop with the my boat is better then your boat BS. Not everyone is going to agree with you, and Nobodies opinion will ever change anyway, so stop arguing it.

2.) Do not belittle the other campaign. PARTICUARLLY if you don't know much about it. On that note, one should at least make an attempt to become reasonably informed. (which admittidlly for the PTO is much harder to do since accounts are spread out all over the place.)

3.) Submarine warfare, by defination, is an immoral act. Any attempt to gain the moral highground on ANY BS topics, are rather moot. Uboats were not the shining knights of the sea, and fleetboats got their hands dirty like everybody else.

4.) Don't sterotype. Everybody's done this at some point, including me. If one reguritates the usual, "the US subs had it easy, AC, ice cream, and no danger, not exciting and not signficant!" BS mantra, one should expect to recieive the usual "Hitler and 3rd reich" mantra in return, and vice versa.

My 2 cents.

Madox58
03-24-08, 09:31 PM
I'll concur with this.

Let's move on and start the new work shalll we?
:yep:

All we can do is see where it goes.

There is a Grand Adventure ahead Mates!!
Shall we set sail?
:up:

Ducimus
03-24-08, 09:34 PM
Respect my boat; and ill respect yours. :lol: (short version of my previous long winded post)

Madox58
03-24-08, 09:41 PM
Sounds like a fine base to end this BS.
I'm on board.

nikimcbee
03-24-08, 10:30 PM
Wow, this thread is more intertaining than any TV show! Well, maybe not the A-Team or Different Strokes, but I digress. I can't believe you all would take advantage of our beloved moderator (KP) while he's on holiday with his girlfriend. He's going to come back, and the thread will be on fire, broken windows, goats running wild through the house... and KP will have to clean up the mess.

I guess the next thing is, the PLA will be moderating this thread, and look what they are doing in Tibet.:o

Besides, everybody knows we should dump the U-boats and have I-boats (Japanese submarines) instead!:arrgh!:

Wilcke
03-24-08, 10:31 PM
I'm on board.

I am on board for that and will buy the 1st round of drinks for all.

clayton
03-24-08, 10:49 PM
KPT Lehmann:
This has gone beyond the immature...

I am just as much at fault and quite frankly, tired of posting such negativity when I have been a member of SUBSIM for such a long time and have a wealth of information that I want to share with new members.

AkbarGulag
03-24-08, 10:52 PM
Besides, everybody knows we should dump the U-boats and have I-boats (Japanese submarines) instead!:arrgh!:
They only had the longest range and fastest speeds of any submarine fleet in the world (above and below water). Even their torpedo's were excellent. Why would anyone want to enjoy that ;)

03-25-08, 12:03 AM
Finally, quit the friggin B S so people like me (and everyone else) can reap the benefits, of the talented modders that make a game so much more! I PLAY both 3 and 4, the only way I can "pay it forward" (for the new generation) is by buying recordings of old radio programs that are relevant to the time period and offer them (after adding the events file, real friggin work :stare: shah, right) to y'all. I look at it and amazed at the work y'all put into these GAMES and have to say THANK YOU for making the whole experience INCREDIBLE. Quit the "he said-she said" nonsense all ready for crimminay sakes.....I have to admit as a first generation American, the PTO game really strikes a chord within me, that sh3 will not. BUT, since my father's birth certificate is from Hamburg, (doesn't speak a lick of German) I am still intrigued. :arrgh!: sorry about all the spelling errors, if any...

Jimbuna
03-25-08, 03:15 AM
I'm on board.

I am on board for that and will buy the 1st round of drinks for all.

Make mine a large tot of Nelsons blood http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/pirate_with_bottle_of_rum_lg_blk.gif

Bewolf
03-25-08, 04:40 AM

Come on people.

I think one core problem is that everyone has a vested interest in "their sub", and think "its the best". Challenge that belief, or insinuate an opposing opinion, and you ruffle feathers; sub simmers are a passionate bunch, Most of us being history geeks, and have a keen interest in something.

Trouble is, many of us only get informed on our "vested interest" because it helps us get into the game more, making the "emotional investment" all that much higher, and as by product, ignorance of the other only increases.

Having an ignorant view of someones vested interest, only polarizes them even further, and they start digging their heels in and push back a little, which only results in the same. The angst many PTO fans have, has been long time in the making. Add in a rather long wait for a PTO sub sim, and then toss in posts like "I dont want yankee-pig boats!" or "I dont want PTO!!!" that were posted on subsim before SH4 was even released, and ice that with snide comments about having beta'ed the game for the "real" campaign (that ignorant view i was talking about), and you have some really upset fans who wont put up with much messageboard BS.

I think The best way for this BS to stop:

1.) Stop with the my boat is better then your boat BS. Not everyone is going to agree with you, and Nobodies opinion will ever change anyway, so stop arguing it.

2.) Do not belittle the other campaign. PARTICUARLLY if you don't know much about it. On that note, one should at least make an attempt to become reasonably informed. (which admittidlly for the PTO is much harder to do since accounts are spread out all over the place.)

3.) Submarine warfare, by defination, is an immoral act. Any attempt to gain the moral highground on ANY BS topics, are rather moot. Uboats were not the shining knights of the sea, and fleetboats got their hands dirty like everybody else.

4.) Don't sterotype. Everybody's done this at some point, including me. If one reguritates the usual, "the US subs had it easy, AC, ice cream, and no danger, not exciting and not signficant!" BS mantra, one should expect to recieive the usual "Hitler and 3rd reich" mantra in return, and vice versa.

My 2 cents.

Best entry by far in this thread. Deal. http://www.smileygarden.de/smilie/Party/18.gif

Bewolf
03-25-08, 04:53 AM
They only had the longest range and fastest speeds of any submarine fleet in the world (above and below water). Even their torpedo's were excellent. Why would anyone want to enjoy that ;)

Well, I suppose if you are into waiting at certain locations for fleets that will never come, or simply cargo duty, then a japanese campaign might be interesting. Else I don't see much for players in a japanese boat. Given the high quality of their boats it's really a blow the japanese never really engaged merchant shipping, exceptions proving the rule. But going for allied warships only especially later in the war is pure suicide and not much fun I reckon. But then again, to each their own.

Rockin Robbins
03-25-08, 04:55 AM
What's happening?:88) Did something good just happen? Musta been good! Penelope, please pass the popcorn.:cool:

Penelope_Grey
03-25-08, 05:15 AM
What's happening?:88) Did something good just happen? Musta been good! Penelope, please pass the popcorn.:cool:

Well how about that? A U-Boat fan and a Fleet Boat fan sharing popcorn!!!! :hmm:

Woo Hoo!!!:D

You can have some popcorn if you bring the ice cream! :up:

Rockin Robbins
03-25-08, 05:34 AM
Deal!!!!:up:

Jimbuna
03-25-08, 05:54 AM
HEY!!.......Will this popcorn be German or American made :hmm:

:p

AVGWarhawk
03-27-08, 08:19 AM
Well how about that? A U-Boat fan and a Fleet Boat fan sharing popcorn!!!! :hmm:

Woo Hoo!!!:D

You can have some popcorn if you bring the ice cream! :up:

Hey, as long as we got popcorn and ice cream, what movie are we watching? Das Boot? Run Silent Run Deep? Lets do a double feature! :D

Need beer to wash down the popcorn:hmm:. Let's host a intergalactic kegger!

Rockin Robbins
03-27-08, 12:48 PM
German popcorn, American ice cream, British beer, need something Dutch and some Japanese saki. The more I see Das Boot the less I like it. Let's do Run Silent Run Deep and heckle all the mistakes!:up:

Kpt. Lehmann
03-27-08, 01:00 PM
I miss all the good parties.

Will be there as soon as the room stops spinning.

:doh:

AVGWarhawk
03-27-08, 01:05 PM
I love Das Boot. IMO a very good movie and a good representation of how it was RR. Well, as good a representation we can get for two hours.

KL, have some REAL rum cake. It will knock you out for a good 12 hours and you will wake up all better! I can atest to that! A nice Jamaican women I knew way back when used to make it for me when I was under the weather. Best medicine out there:up:

Jimbuna
03-27-08, 01:29 PM
Did someone mention rum http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6324/uowyaydh5wc2zm2.gif

A drop o Nelsons blood never harmed anyone http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img233/9779/party0036mk6.gif

http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/pirate_with_bottle_of_rum_lg_blk.gif