PDA

View Full Version : Radar Withdrawl

howler93
03-03-08, 05:10 PM
Still waiting for my expansion pack to arrive, but I just realized that I'm not going to have anything like an equivalent to SJ radar when I head out for my German patrols, right? It's been a long time since I played SH3, and I always played in the Type VII, but am I correct in assuming that the U-Boat Missions subs available for the Germans will be WITHOUT surface sweep radar? What will I do? I'm addicted! :o Hope most of you are enjoying the add-on!

Good hunting,
Howler :arrgh!:

P.S. Not to mention the PK!! How did I ever manage to sink ships without it? I'm going to need to return to basic manual targeting school in u-boats!

Saintaw
03-04-08, 02:14 AM
So far, I've seen two radar versions, none seem to work like 10% of the US one (TM version).

Zantham
03-04-08, 12:39 PM
The German radar seems to pick up planes pretty nicely giving you enough time to dive, but its surface ability is definitely not as good as the US radar. My crew often spots ships before the radar does... at least before the radar guy reports them anyways. This is using the advanced radar that comes in the XVIII.

Factor
03-04-08, 12:48 PM
my radar cant even detect planes in 1943. i have the upgrade, but, planes are spotted by my crew with no radar contact at all.:shifty: and yes, the radar in on.

CCIP
03-04-08, 12:55 PM
Actually the IXD2 comes with the FuMO-29 by default, which just sweeps 20 degrees in front of the sub. You can upgrade to FuMO-30 pretty quickly. I find it picks up ships just outside of visual range, so certainly not as good as the US radar and reading it yourself is certainly not as nice as the US radar scope.

For air contacts etc., the radar detector (i.e. FuMB) is probably a better friend :)

And yea, German radar was definitely ways behind the US radar. That was probably the fleet boats' greatest advantage. Mind you, in the game we're probably better supplied with radar right now than the real U-boats were. Most of the monsoon boats didn't have any radar at all.

FuddCS
03-04-08, 01:01 PM
Well, german subs have very good sonar. I use it a lot. Every hour or so i dive to 25 meters and listen for a while. Works better than radar imho.

Zantham
03-04-08, 01:06 PM
reading it yourself is certainly not as nice as the US radar scope.

Have you gotten the latest radar (can't remember the name) it uses a 360 view instead of the ocilliscope display. Tho I'd still say its not as effective as the US radar for sure.

howler93
03-04-08, 02:02 PM
So, have you u-boat skippers run into any problems with using time compression without the added benefits of good surface radar? For example, coming out of TC to find you're being shelled by an Iowa class battleship? :o I'm just wondering if I should plan on using TC less as a German u-boat skipper...

Thanks,
Howler :arrgh!:

Zantham
03-04-08, 02:45 PM
Not specifically no. I've been caught by planes a few times now and again in high TC, but so far my watch crew seems to spot ships before they spot me, even with high TC on.

howler93
03-04-08, 04:10 PM
so far my watch crew seems to spot ships before they spot me, even with high TC on.
:up:

Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks! My CD just arrived not 10 minutes ago! I'm anxious to get home and explore!

SuperCavitation
03-06-08, 04:19 PM
Also, there is an officer who will appear in port from time to time whose "ability" is to enhance radar range/capability. He is well worth the reknown. My watch crew were the only decent eyeballs I had until I got that officer. :up:

Schnee
03-06-08, 11:23 PM
The latest German Radars/Threat detectors available in early '44 don't seem too bad. Not up to the stuff you get on the Fleet Boat side but useful enough to be worth spending the renown to upgrade to. particularly the threat detectors. they allow you plenty of warning to dive if need be.