PDA

View Full Version : Here it is!!!!!!

AVGWarhawk
01-30-08, 08:39 PM
For the new add on and the uboats. The forum is now open for business!

It's coming, folks.

http://www.tothegame.com/boxshot.asp?picnum=uk&id=7409

Release date Feb 26th (US) Feb 28th (UK)

New screenshots:

http://www.subsim.com/SH4addon2.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/SH4addon1.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/SH4addon3.jpg

http://www.subsim.com/SH4addon4.jpg

Torps
01-30-08, 09:09 PM
wanted to be the first to post.

Reece
01-30-08, 09:29 PM
Looking good, wonder if the interior, TDC, etc has been done as well?:-?

Spike88
01-30-08, 11:19 PM
Gamespot has a picture of the interior.

I wonder if they're going to use the speed calculation from IV or the one from SHIII.

FIREWALL
01-30-08, 11:22 PM
Gamespot Link and more screen shots Please. :D

Paajtor
01-31-08, 04:24 AM
Screenie#4....is that truely ingame?:o:nope::yep::nope::hmm:

Reece
01-31-08, 04:33 AM
Looks like the interior is done, back to a Radio room::yep:
Should have checked here first::oops:
http://www.subsim.com/sh4/silent_hunter4_addon.php

Paajtor
01-31-08, 04:37 AM
But that screenshot is 3months old...it was posted here (http://www.subsim.com/sh4/silent_hunter4_addon.php) before.

Anyway...I think I'm looking forward to this.
Now if only I could have the SH3-style interface for it.:oops:

donut
01-31-08, 06:13 AM
:|\\ screens, Can't waite to ruin ones waltz.

Jimbuna
01-31-08, 07:51 AM
That last screenshot looks nice http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

M. Sarsfield
01-31-08, 08:42 AM
I wonder if they're going to use the speed calculation from IV or the one from SHIII.

It would be nice if the TDC calculations were handled more like SHIV. I hope they didn't just cut and paste SHIII into an SHIV engine.

Dowly
01-31-08, 11:29 AM
Screenie#4....is that truely ingame?:o:nope::yep::nope::hmm:

Suuuure it is. :p

Skywolf
01-31-08, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry if this has been answered already. Does anybody know if hotspots, ala SHIII, will be in this add-on. Too be honest.. I really think SHIV was a let down compared to SHIII. I hate the interface and it has totally ruined the immersion factor for me. Especially on the periscope.. what I have to click 1 icon to go the the periscope..another icon to raise it. It just wasn't seemless at all. In SHIII I could click on the periscope to go there... I could click on it again to get the scope.. I could click on the toggle to raise or lower the scope. It made sense and it felt naturally. SHIV is a different game in that sense.. and it feels like I'm playing click-fest icons instead of a submarine commander. Just my opinion. SHIV great exterior graphics, but the interface.. blech.

It's way too clunky and there was something naturally about clicking on a particular officer for navigation or for depth control and so forth. Anyway - I'd buy the add-on if hot-spot interfacing was included. Does anybody know if this is the case?

Thank you very much!

M. Sarsfield
01-31-08, 01:28 PM
Recently, Ducimus updated TM with some of the officers being clickable and taking you to a certain map or station. So, if the Devs don't add it, someone on here will.

I'd like to see some updated screen shots. A lot of what is posted has been out for months.

Madox58
01-31-08, 04:03 PM
Always remember,
ALL versions of SH were what they were.
ALL versions of SH were modded to become what they are.
Why would anyone "wonder" if this or that can be done?
UBI gives us the "Field of Dreams"!!
Thier motto should be
"If We build it, the Modders will come".
:rotfl:

Penelope_Grey
01-31-08, 04:11 PM
The first port of call will be to reskin the U-Boat's so they look less like they were made of scrapmetal.

Rust removal! number one priority.

Kapitan_Phillips
01-31-08, 06:16 PM
The first port of call will be to reskin the U-Boat's so they look less like they were made of scrapmetal.

Rust removal! number one priority.

Agreed. I cant wait for some interior shots.

Dowly
02-01-08, 05:00 AM
Always remember,
Thier motto should be

:hmm:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/field-of-dreams-DVDcover.jpg

Jimbuna
02-01-08, 11:58 AM
LOL :lol:

SteamWake
02-01-08, 12:18 PM
Always remember,
Thier motto should be

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/field-of-dreams-DVDcover.jpg

My goodness what a big gun you have.

Dowly
02-01-08, 12:24 PM
ROFL! Didnt even notice that when I made it! :rotfl:

Abit like this screenshot of the new IL2 1946 4.09beta patch posted by Zorin at Battle-Fields.com forums:rotfl::

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/Base.jpg

elanaiba
02-01-08, 01:21 PM

Well let me get my friends in Finland on the phone :)

I guess you're right, as long as you're not implying that I'm also pro releasing unfinished products that the modders can fix... :(

Dowly
02-01-08, 01:29 PM

Well let me get my friends in Finland on the phone :)

Aye, that'll be fun. My friends arent going to drink today, so I'm all alone. :cry:

you're not implying that I'm also pro releasing unfinished products that the modders can fix... :(

No, I dont mean you're pro in that. :D Without your games, we wouldnt have this great community here at SubSim (well, might be as great, but not as big as it is now) and I also know that you guys cant put everything in or just simply forget or dont have the time to include something. WWII sub war is a big area to research, there's always something that is forgotten and here's where the modders come in, everyone here has different info about Uboats/US subs from different sources and that's what is the key to a good modding community. SubSim has what, 10,000+ registered users? That's a big "research team". ;)

elanaiba
02-01-08, 01:34 PM
BTW very poor scale on that head :P

FIREWALL
02-01-08, 01:51 PM
Who's that guy in front of game box with the HUGE head ? :p

Reece
02-01-08, 06:58 PM
Some more thoughts, I wonder if the crew are interactive, as in SH3, probably not!:doh:

Dowly
02-01-08, 07:35 PM

Lol, cry me ein river. :rotfl:

CCIP
02-01-08, 07:52 PM
Who's that guy in front of game box with the HUGE head ? :p

The guy who posted just above you :rotfl:

Honestly, I know what a dev team like this has to work with. You guys have done a great job so far and if this is the one available way to keep supporting both SHIV and its community - roll on!

FIREWALL
02-01-08, 08:03 PM
:oops:

Rockin Robbins
02-02-08, 08:23 AM
There's no reason that all the work done so far can't be leveraged into a series of add-ons. A destroyer command add-on is just one possibility. Everyone is clamoring about an Atlantik version, you KNOW in a year the timing would be perfect.

One thing is sure: in the simulation market (which is bafflingly small considering that is what computers were for in their infancy. Even spreadsheets were sold based on their ability to simulate), it is much easier to sell additional products to your existing customers than to develop new customers. Also, existing customers will be more willing to support a franchise they care about by paying full price to support the company which produces it.

As far as differing interfaces go, I'm a keyboard guy and SH3 and SH4 are nearly identical in that regard. Insert/delete to raise and lower the observation scope and pgup/pgdown to raise and lower the attack scope. And the devs made the entire keyboard programmable, so how can ANYONE complain about the interface????? Frankly, there's astounding quality here and much of the time we're (including myself here) blind to it.

Guess I'll have to abandon my Holy Grail of imperial measurements :rotfl: and play metric with the add-on. I hope it's metric only while you're on a U-Boat. It should be imperial only on an American submarine! Force the metric slaves to learn the superior system and they will learn to love it.:hulk: But only in SH4 Pacific, please.

linerkiller
02-02-08, 09:46 AM
I've heard of fantasy style operation with Walther subs when Ubi launched this

project...personally i :down: ...and probably it will be "playable" only after two or three patches like SH4...But the idea is good:D !

kiwi_2005
02-03-08, 06:29 AM

Penelope_Grey
02-03-08, 06:33 AM
Force the metric slaves to learn the superior system and they will learn to love it.:hulk: But only in SH4 Pacific, please.

LOL metric is superior as regards to conversions and solving mathematical problems based on multiples of 10. I doubt I could have passed my physics course using solely Imperial. However when it comes to measuring ones height... feet and inches, please!

Rockin Robbins? Shouldn't that be, "Robbins off his rocker?" LMAO:rotfl:

elanaiba
02-03-08, 08:17 AM
You will be able to set the game (minus this or that things that we probably forgot) to either metric, imperial or "historical" units. The latter being, of course, metric for "zee germans" and imperial for us boats.

Jimbuna
02-03-08, 08:52 AM
It will be good to have the choice elanaiba http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Thank you http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Alex
02-03-08, 12:37 PM
Yes, thank you very much Dan !!! :up:

:sunny:

maerean_m
02-04-08, 06:37 AM
You will be able to set the game (minus this or that things that we probably forgot) to either metric, imperial or "historical" units. The latter being, of course, metric for "zee germans" and imperial for us boats.
it's called "authentic" http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/3.gif

Paajtor
02-04-08, 06:52 AM
Maybe I'm asking for the obvious, but...

...will there be a combined pack released as well, with SH4 and the Addon, as 1 installment?

elanaiba
02-04-08, 08:24 AM
You will be able to set the game (minus this or that things that we probably forgot) to either metric, imperial or "historical" units. The latter being, of course, metric for "zee germans" and imperial for us boats. it's called "authentic" http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/3.gif
I'm sorry but the team nitpicker job is already taken. By me.

Alex
02-04-08, 04:26 PM
@ Elanaiba : Please Sir, could you empty your PM box ? :p

:88) :|\\

Rockin Robbins
02-04-08, 07:57 PM
And see the results, Penelope!:rotfl:

I'll be using metric in the U-Boats. Question: why to the U-Boats use metric and measure their speed in knots? Was that authentic? Seems quite strange to me. After all, if they start using knots, they'll realize that Imperial is the superior system and....;) You KNOW that's really why they lost the war don't you?

elanaiba
02-05-08, 04:07 AM
Its probably related to navigation ... knots relate to miles and miles relate to how the earth is measured in latitude and longitude. Something along the lines of 1 degree of longitude measured at the equator is 60 miles. Nautical miles, that is.

Rockin Robbins
02-05-08, 09:16 AM
Its probably related to navigation ... knots relate to miles and miles relate to how the earth is measured in latitude and longitude. Something along the lines of 1 degree of longitude measured at the equator is 60 miles. Nautical miles, that is. Proof of the immutable, inarguable superiority of the Imperial Measurement System.:arrgh!::rotfl:Take THAT Penolope!:up:

I'll still be using metric on the U-Boats. Ever notice that those who know the imperial system also are quite good at metric, but the knowledge base is not shared the other way around? Hmmmmm? Imagine going to an Irish pub and not being able to order a pint! There goes their tourism....... OH, the humanity!:eek:

stabiz
02-05-08, 10:34 AM
Its probably related to navigation ... knots relate to miles and miles relate to how the earth is measured in latitude and longitude. Something along the lines of 1 degree of longitude measured at the equator is 60 miles. Nautical miles, that is. Proof of the immutable, inarguable superiority of the Imperial Measurement System.:arrgh!::rotfl:Take THAT Penolope!:up:

I'll still be using metric on the U-Boats. Ever notice that those who know the imperial system also are quite good at metric, but the knowledge base is not shared the other way around? Hmmmmm? Imagine going to an Irish pub and not being able to order a pint! There goes their tourism....... OH, the humanity!:eek:

Who on earth would order a pinto in a pub?:hmm:

http://home.no.net/amedeiaa/Hestefiler/Hesteraser/Pinto.jpg

elanaiba
02-05-08, 10:53 AM

...will there be a combined pack released as well, with SH4 and the Addon, as 1 installment?

AFAIK a combined box yes, 1 installment, yes.

Paajtor
02-05-08, 12:13 PM
Thx.

badaboom
02-07-08, 06:07 PM
I just started reading the book"Iron Coffins"what a fantastic read!!!I'm looking forward to the Addon and Commanding A UBoat once again!!!:D

Penelope_Grey
02-07-08, 06:14 PM
Proof of the immutable, inarguable superiority of the Imperial Measurement System.:arrgh!::rotfl:Take THAT Penolope!:up:

I would take it if you spelt my name right... or maybe not, I giot a cast on my right arm so Icould well just club you... I dont know...undecided :-?:lol:

Metric is easy pops as its all based on multiples of 10.. Imperial is all different, like 3 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard... its all very antique, however I like how the uk uses both systems. :up:

M. Sarsfield
02-08-08, 04:50 PM
Not necessarily antique. One system is Base-10 and the other is Base-12. They have their advantages and set-backs. I learned both in engineering.

Paajtor
02-09-08, 04:02 PM

AFAIK a combined box yes, 1 installment, yes. I'm sorry....couldn't find a combined pack to order.
So I ordered SH4, and put UboatMissions on pre-order.

Question:

Suppose I start playing regular SH4 untill the addon is released...of course, after patching, I would add some (super-)mods.
Now when the addon arrives, will it be enough, to disable all mods through JSGME, to be ready to install the addon?
And I mean mods like TM, ROW, RSRD, NSM, etc. (about which I'm only just starting to learn more).

badaboom
02-09-08, 08:06 PM
Where did you pre-order U-Boat missions from?I'd like to do the same,Thanks!:up:

Paajtor
02-10-08, 02:46 PM
Bol.com (http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_DisplayProductInformation-Start?BOL_OWNER_ID=1004004005907453&Section=GAMES&lgl=1&plid=TQWR5JsdBocAAAEYLRYmWQTn&lgl_BOL_OWNER_ID=1&lgl_Section=1)

Jaeger
02-10-08, 06:33 PM
Question:

Suppose I start playing regular SH4 untill the addon is released...of course, after patching, I would add some (super-)mods.
Now when the addon arrives, will it be enough, to disable all mods through JSGME, to be ready to install the addon?
And I mean mods like TM, ROW, RSRD, NSM, etc. (about which I'm only just starting to learn more).

in the newest jsgme mod enabler, there is a possibility to save a list of all changed files in a txt file. i made a list of an unchanged game, then i installed some mods. after that, i reinstalled them and made a new list: result was, that there were no differences. that means, you can disable all mods for having a complete unmodded vanilla version of sh4. :up:

Paajtor
02-10-08, 07:01 PM
Rgr that. :)

I suppose I'm ok, as long as JSGME-compatible mods are used (unlike GWX, which comes in the form of an *.exe).

Reaves
02-11-08, 10:04 PM
I'm looking forward to this mod. Especially once the new strategic options are modded so we can use them with the existing US-Pacific campaign.

btw-

Metric ftw!

linerkiller
02-13-08, 01:46 AM
But, will it be possible creating TWO SH4 installations? Just to play both SH41.4 and SH4 Uboat xpansion without chaos.

ReallyDedPoet
02-13-08, 09:48 AM
But, will it be possible creating TWO SH4 installations? Just to play both SH41.4 and SH4 Uboat xpansion without chaos.
Just manually do 2 separate installs, one with 1.4, the other with the UBoat Exp on top of 1.4 ( as you need this as the base anyway ). I currently have 4 installs on the go, Multi SH4 is nice at keeping the saves separate. But maybe this won't even be necessary, we will have to wait and see.

RDP

Tarnsman
02-16-08, 04:50 PM
Sh4 user interface just plain sucks, the crew are just chrome and the order bar icons are hard to understand when they should be intuitive like sh3. Maybe a year or two from now when the modding guys address the interface i will buy the u-boat addon but until then Ive given enough money to ubi for SH4.

Reece
02-16-08, 08:04 PM
Sh4 user interface just plain sucks, the crew are just chrome and the order bar icons are hard to understand when they should be intuitive like sh3. Maybe a year or two from now when the modding guys address the interface i will buy the u-boat addon but until then Ive given enough money to ubi for SH4.
Maybe so, but if us modders had this attitude what would happen ... nothing!:oops:

LukeFF
02-17-08, 06:23 AM
Sorry, but the SH3 interface was clunky compared to what SH4 has brought. What's so difficult about understanding the menu icons when you it tells you what they do when you mouse over them? SH3's interface only improved with 3rd-party add-ons.

Sometimes I think certain people here complain just for the sake of complaining.

Paajtor
02-17-08, 08:22 AM
Well, I agree, if you say that the SH4 interface is more sophisticated.

What bugs me (just a little) is, that the F-keys have changed.
For a heavy keyboard-user in SH3, this is quite something to get used to...as F4 no longer takes me to the bridge, but to the attack-scope...F5 is no longer the map, but goes to the bridge now, etc. :oops:
And now the map=F3, lol

And some other minor things, like I can't ask my CE to order for silent running, or stop charging the batteries, stuff like that.

Means I got to get used to it all, which I'm doing right now: going through the marine-academy, on TCx1, so that I have all the time of the world to explore and try out.

(I bought SH4 a couple days ago, and modded ROW, RFB, and RSRDC in)

Gargantou
02-17-08, 08:53 AM

I'll be using metric in the U-Boats. Question: why to the U-Boats use metric and measure their speed in knots? Was that authentic? Seems quite strange to me. After all, if they start using knots, they'll realize that Imperial is the superior system and....;) You KNOW that's really why they lost the war don't you?Don't you dare mock the Metric system, it's far superior to the Imperial measurement system!:nope::lol:

I demand you withdraw your statement or I will send you to The Emperor!

Reece
02-17-08, 10:10 PM
Or, since we are referring to the U-boat missions, to the Fuhrer!:lol:

Faamecanic
02-18-08, 01:03 PM
Always remember,
Thier motto should be

Not knocking the modders here so dont take this wrong....

Where can I release a half baked product and have people make it GREAT for FREE?!

Modders :up: Ubi :down:

I guess we can always argue that without Ubi there would be NO sub sim to mod. And I would agree. But the fact UBI (and EASports) release games/sims that are half done, charge full price, and rely on the mod community to "fix" the game is horrible IMHO.

Just MHO ....

Alex
02-18-08, 01:16 PM

I'm glad to see that you say Ubi, cause the responsible is Ubisoft, right, and definately not the dev team. Members of the SH4 dev team are nice people who could have done much more on this game if Ubi allowed them more time to develop it. :up: :sunny:

They made this game moddable to such an extent that skillful modders as Kriller2, Dave, Wernersobe and others have been able to release some completely astonishing mods, and it's hard not to make a game too much hardcoded in order to let modders do their job. BIG thanks to the SH4 dev team members ! :rock:

Jimbuna
02-18-08, 02:04 PM

I'm glad to see that you say Ubi, cause the responsible is Ubisoft, right, and definately not the dev team. Members of the SH4 dev team are nice people who could have done much more on this game if Ubi allowed them more time to develop it. :up: :sunny:

They made this game moddable to such an extent that skillful modders as Kriller2, Dave, Wernersobe and others have been able to release some completely astonishing mods, and it's hard not to make a game too much hardcoded in order to let modders do their job. BIG thanks to the SH4 dev team members ! :rock:

Agreed http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thumbsup.gif

Paajtor
02-24-08, 07:25 PM
2 new screenies....thx to Kriller2.
Am I glad to see those dials back again LOL:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5717/shaddon15wo9.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2966/shaddon15insvc9.jpg

LukeFF
02-25-08, 01:58 AM
:cool:

M. Sarsfield
02-25-08, 06:57 AM
Any idea what the crewman icon tab is used for at the bottom of the 2nd screenie?

In general, I like what I see.

Hey, Devs, please add an SD radar scope to the control room of the US Boats in your add-on. This way the SJ-1 operator in the coning tower isn't giving us confusing radar contact info, anymore. What prompted this was me noticing the A-Scope box in the radio room of the u-boot. I'm assuming that it's for air contacts.

maerean_m
02-25-08, 07:50 AM
Any idea what the crewman icon tab is used for at the bottom of the 2nd screenie?
That's for crewmen with special abilities you can recruit while docked.

CCIP
02-25-08, 01:17 PM
Interesting. I still wonder what that does.

Hey, it's due out tomorrow! I'm hoping Ubi puts it on their direct-to-drive service so I can just download it. It might be a bit of a pain looking for it in stores or waiting to get it shipped.

Rockin Robbins
02-25-08, 01:56 PM

I'll be using metric in the U-Boats. Question: why to the U-Boats use metric and measure their speed in knots? Was that authentic? Seems quite strange to me. After all, if they start using knots, they'll realize that Imperial is the superior system and....;) You KNOW that's really why they lost the war don't you?Don't you dare mock the Metric system, it's far superior to the Imperial measurement system!:nope::lol:

The Emperor weighs his children in stones. His wife has a car that measures speed in furlongs per hour. His children have farenheit thermometers and his air conditioner is rated in BTUs. His yacht is 90 cubits long at the waterline and he became Emperor two score years ago. He still uses the Julian calendar.:doh: (It was good enough for Julius and he was a darn fine Emperor!:up:)

It is pretty amusing to read all the Ubi vs Devs posts. Without Ubi there would be no devs. Only Ubi was willing to finance this franchise under ANY set of restrictions. The nature of the computer game market dictated most of what we object to, and neither Ubi, the devs or we can change that. We should be very glad for what we have. Trashing Ubi for producing the best sub simulation franchise in the world is kind of silly.

elanaiba
02-25-08, 02:13 PM
True.

LukeFF
02-25-08, 06:25 PM
What prompted this was me noticing the A-Scope box in the radio room of the u-boot. I'm assuming that it's for air contacts.
That's for the surface search radar. U-boats did not have a dedicated air-search radar like the American subs did, and their PPI scopes (called 'Drauf') came too late in the war to be operational.

lv426
02-25-08, 06:47 PM
Hi

Is the exp pack still getting released on the 28th (UK) ?

Looked at play.com and Amazon(UK), neither of them list this title :cry:

Schultzy
02-25-08, 07:19 PM

Don't worry, i was also panicking about that, as i searched play last week and there was nothing, but some kind soul earlier in an other thread explained the problem. Apparently it's a Game exclusive release in the uk, so they're the only ones carrying the pre-order...so yes, it's still due on the 28th (afaik)

hth :)

Faamecanic
02-25-08, 07:48 PM

I would Never blame the dev team. They had GREAT vision for both SH3 and 4... but it is the publisher that put them under the unreasonable time constraints. Its just really cool that they have even been allowed to talk with and help the modders...

The dev team (Tiburon) for the Madden football franchise are not under such liberties with EA sports to share with the mod community, and if any of you played NFL Head Coach and the abortion of a sim that was...you would know what I mean.

Any who a big :up: to the DEVS and :up: :up: to the Modders who freely make this sim what it should be.

Faamecanic
02-25-08, 07:56 PM
[It is pretty amusing to read all the Ubi vs Devs posts. Without Ubi there would be no devs. Only Ubi was willing to finance this franchise under ANY set of restrictions. The nature of the computer game market dictated most of what we object to, and neither Ubi, the devs or we can change that. We should be very glad for what we have. Trashing Ubi for producing the best sub simulation franchise in the world is kind of silly.

Amazing.... the software community is the only one I know of where a product can be realesed half complete and the customer says we should be happy we have a product.

That is like me selling a car that has the control panel for airconditioning/heating, and a CD Changer radio that are not connected... Sure the car works great, gets you from point A to B reliably. But to get your AC and radio working you will have to get your buddy that is good with hooking this stuff up, and adding in the missing components to get it to work. Would that car ever sell... dont think so.

I know this is a charged issue...has been since SH3 was released.... I just find it a shame we are all willing to accept it. A very unique set of customers us software customers are (me included).

lv426
02-25-08, 08:59 PM

Don't worry, i was also panicking about that, as i searched play last week and there was nothing, but some kind soul earlier in an other thread explained the problem. Apparently it's a Game exclusive release in the uk, so they're the only ones carrying the pre-order...so yes, it's still due on the 28th (afaik)

hth :)

Cheers :up:

M. Sarsfield
02-26-08, 11:16 AM
I know this is a charged issue...has been since SH3 was released....

More like since SH2 was released. Lots of people were disappointed and PO'd over that mess. SH3 was a major improvement.

I think it all started with Microsoft releasing Flight Sim 2000, I think, and then immediately coming out with a huge patch after everyone bought it. Since then, everyone has been doing the same thing with their games - EA especially.

Saintaw
02-26-08, 02:27 PM
I got it in a shop today here in Brussels, when i asked if it came out today, the clerk told me it's been up on the shelves since saturday... hmmm...

Have only started a Uboot campaign, I can't say for sure (I used to play SHIV with mods)... but the graphic engine seems optimised.

I'm now trying to see if I can copy the Tm Commands.cfg file as the default layout is driving me insane (out of habits) ... functions such as weather report, regular sonar scan are of course not in Vanilla.

John Channing
02-26-08, 02:52 PM
I know this is a charged issue...has been since SH3 was released....

More like since SH2 was released. Lots of people were disappointed and PO'd over that mess. SH3 was a major improvement.

I think it all started with Microsoft releasing Flight Sim 2000, I think, and then immediately coming out with a huge patch after everyone bought it. Since then, everyone has been doing the same thing with their games - EA especially.

Nah... Falcon 4.0 in, what.... '98? A lot of people throw the term "unplayable" around a lot these days... but, at least for the campaign, that actually was unplayable.

Before that was Janes F-15, which used to crash everytime you fired an air to air missle when there was a mountain anywhere near you (in the Iran campaign).

This has been going on forever, and probably won't be going away anytime soon.

JCC

sergbuto
02-26-08, 03:29 PM
I got it in a shop today here in Brussels...
At what price?

Saintaw
02-26-08, 03:40 PM
14,99 €.

Paajtor
02-26-08, 03:41 PM
I have it on pre-order at Bol.com, for €14,99...out in 2 days.

Saintaw
02-26-08, 03:56 PM
Here (http://picasaweb.google.com/saintaw/SHIVUboots) are a few shots I took.

PS: Good news, the TM Commands.cfg file works just fine as far as i can tell.

M. Sarsfield
02-26-08, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the screenies, Saintaw. Looking forward to trying this out.

Steel_Tomb
02-26-08, 05:03 PM
If I'm honest, it looks like they just threw in the SHIII interior and put some post proces s effects in. Whats the command room like? Any different?

Torps
02-26-08, 05:09 PM
Those U-Boats will make fine targets. hehe:rock:

Jimbuna
02-26-08, 05:30 PM
If I'm honest, it looks like they just threw in the SHIII interior and put some post proces s effects in. Whats the command room like? Any different?

You could well be right http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/621/thinkbigsw1.gif

badaboom
02-26-08, 06:18 PM
:up: Cheers Saintaw,look'in good!!!How are the sounds?

stabiz
02-26-08, 06:51 PM
yeah, please say we get german voices?

V.C. Sniper
02-26-08, 07:43 PM
Can sum1 plz post a video of the add-on? :up:

Saintaw
02-27-08, 02:05 AM
Sorry, I didn't play around with the options much, but by default... the sounds were in english as well. (crash dive, etc...)

CCIP
02-27-08, 02:54 AM

I see new textures in the screenshots.

In all fairness, it would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do. SHIII control room models had great detail and I honestly never saw much of a change in terms of detail in SHIV - save for the normal maps and post-processing.

...can it be the 28th yet? :doh:

Saintaw
02-27-08, 03:22 AM
I played no more than a couple of hours, mainly starting new campaigns (de & us) trying out the new equipment screen, I also 'purchassed' a superhero sonarman but didn't have the chance to use him yet. I don't intend to play it seriously untill it's TM-ised. I just figured i'd get my hands on it while I was in the shop.

As far as I can tell, the graphics engine has been optimised, it runs so much smoother (in 3d environments) that I was able to turn volumetric fog & lights shafts back on and it's still very smooth.

TC seems to have changed, I noticed it was locked at a certain threshold in certain conditions (*3k when passing near a convoy). It also looks like they have graphicaly retouched all the interfaces (again, hard to say as I was always running it modded).

The new 'situation mini-icons' are a nice touch (how many time did I forget to stand down from battle stations and ended up like a sitting duck).