PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Tankers????

bookworm_020
11-05-07, 11:22 PM
Hi All,

Have done a whole bunch of patrols, in all different locations, but have yet to see a tanker.

Can anyone give me a good hunting ground for tankers? I'm getting tired of sinking merchant ships (if I sink another huge european liner it will be too soon!)

Captain Vlad
11-06-07, 12:17 AM
I have no idea if this'll be any help or not, but I've ran into a fair number of tankers in the Celebes and Java seas in 1942. Very rarely see them solo...except for the occasional 'small, old, engine aft' (which are tankers, apparently), almost all of them I've sank, shot at, or cursed as my torpedoes missed were part of a convoy.

There also seems to be a shipping route along the south coast of whatever island Rabaul is on (can remember the name at the moment). Ran into four in that area on my current patrol, two mediums, two small 'engine aft' types. They were travelling in pairs.

Peto
11-06-07, 12:21 AM
I'm running tater's campaign mod and I've noticed that he has a very good mixture of ship classes. But tankers are the exception (as they really should be from a hostorical point of view). None-the-less, I've sunk 3 in 4 patrols. 1 each in the Marianas, East China Sea and Palaus. One medium took 5 torpedos (not counting 4 misses or duds :nope: ). 9 torpedos for ~3900 tons...

In the stock campaign you could always find a couple travelling with task forces, slowing down the capital ships. Tater cleaned up that faux pas as well (thank you tater!!!).

Historically--Dutch East Indies to Japan (routed mostly west of the Phillipines (I think)) saw a lot of tanker traffic.

Keep Hunting and I bet you'll run into plenty of them sooner or later! The US is counting on you!!!

Cheers!

Peto

Melonfish
11-06-07, 09:49 AM
i'm using NSM3.3 generally you hit a tanker and its bonfire night (Whoomph!) however i holed her in the stern and she took another before going boom. almost got deaded by a DD on that convoy too.

pete

mookiemookie
11-06-07, 09:52 AM
I would run into plenty of them in the Celebes Sea in '44, as well as off the Southeastern coast of Honshu