PDA

View Full Version : Air search radar and TM not working?

rocco
10-31-07, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I just installed the trigger maru mod (I know, it took me long enough to try it out) and I am not getting radar contacts for planes. Surface radar works just fine. Is there some sort of new feature or button in this mod that you need to push to turn on air search radar?

Extra details: I have the improved air search radar installed, sailing a Gato (Albacore). I am running 1.6.4 and followed the instructions for installing with JGSM (or JGME or whatever it is called). I have been attacked by two or three planes and they were not reported by radar but by the watch crew (not enough time to dive).

Really like all the improvements made, makes for a whole new game :up:
I can tell a lot of work was put into it.

Thanks,

Rocco

Ducimus
10-31-07, 07:57 PM
If you recently got a refit, the upgraded tower does not come with radar, you'd have to "buy" them again.

rocco
10-31-07, 08:21 PM
Ducimus,

No refit, it was my first patrol, mid 1942 start from pearl.

Thanks,

Rocco

-Pv-
10-31-07, 10:43 PM
I was about to post a new thread on this issue, then saw this thread as an opportunity to introduce what is to me a new discovery about the radar interface and has nothing to do with TM.

It's possible to turn off air search radar once you have surface radar installed and the radar control icons have become enabled. Up until now I suspect most people (incuding me) were under the impression there was no control at all over the air radar. When you progress in the campaign to the point where you can install Surface Search and the controls become enabled, there is a special combination of icon clicks which renders the air search innoperable. There may be a benefit later in the war when the IJN has radar detection thus making you more stealthy, but you can be cruely bushwhacked by aircraft at any time.

Radar Icon control functionality (un-modded sim):

Icons (when you click the master radar control group icon)-
Hand | Continious Search | Single Search

Normal Operation Air Search only:
When the Hand is dim yellow (surface search inactivated) and the two icons with circles to the right are dark (grey in un-modded sim) the radar controls are in AIR SEARCH ONLY mode.

Normal Operation Air and Surface Search:
Activating the HAND to BRIGHT YELLOW activates the Surface Search in continious search mode and retains the functionality of air search.

Note: If you have an icon display other than dim hand and two dark search icons OR bight hand and one bright Continious Search Icon, you will have air search disabled.

Normal Operation No Radar:
The hand is BRIGHT yellow and the two circle icons will be dim yellow (brownish). You can obtain this mode by activating the HAND (whch by default activates the Continious Search) THEN CLICK TO INACTIVATE CONTINIOUS SEARCH. This makes both the Continious Search and Single Search mode icons available.

Note: To recover from this mode, click continious search again which will activate SURFACE SEARCH AND AIR SEARCH. Click the hand again to return to air search only (both search mode icons are grey.)

Normal Operation Single Surface Search, no Air Search:
With HAND activated (bright) deselect Continious Search (both search modes will be dim yellow instead of grey) and activate Single Search icon (which will return to dim yellow after one turn of the radar dish.

Note: To recover from this mode where the surface search is disabled after one cycle and air search is disabled, click the Continious Search icon (both the HAND and CONTINIOUS SEARCH will be bright.) You now have both radars enabled. Click Continious Search again to turn off Surface Search and leave Air Search enabled.

Other way to think about it is clicking the Continious Search Icon provides the modes where air search is disabled.

I discovered all this by sitting in an intense enemy air environment and playing with the icons. I eventually found the combos where only my bridge crew visually sighted enemy air and I could return to seeing distant air radar returns.

Hope you can follow all that without pics.

It's a shame we have to discover this complex functionality after months of play with no assistance from the manual.
-Pv-

Cap'n Spanky
11-01-07, 07:53 AM
I was about to post a new thread on this issue, then saw this thread as an opportunity to introduce what is to me a new discovery about the radar interface and has nothing to do with TM.

It's possible to turn off air search radar once you have surface radar installed and the radar control icons have become enabled. Up until now I suspect most people (incuding me) were under the impression there was no control at all over the air radar. When you progress in the campaign to the point where you can install Surface Search and the controls become enabled, there is a special combination of icon clicks which renders the air search innoperable. There may be a benefit later in the war when the IJN has radar detection thus making you more stealthy, but you can be cruely bushwhacked by aircraft at any time.

Radar Icon control functionality (un-modded sim):

Icons (when you click the master radar control group icon)-
Hand | Continious Search | Single Search

Normal Operation Air Search only:
When the Hand is dim yellow (surface search inactivated) and the two icons with circles to the right are dark (grey in un-modded sim) the radar controls are in AIR SEARCH ONLY mode.

Normal Operation Air and Surface Search:
Activating the HAND to BRIGHT YELLOW activates the Surface Search in continious search mode and retains the functionality of air search.

Note: If you have an icon display other than dim hand and two dark search icons OR bight hand and one bright Continious Search Icon, you will have air search disabled.

Normal Operation No Radar:
The hand is BRIGHT yellow and the two circle icons will be dim yellow (brownish). You can obtain this mode by activating the HAND (whch by default activates the Continious Search) THEN CLICK TO INACTIVATE CONTINIOUS SEARCH. This makes both the Continious Search and Single Search mode icons available.

Note: To recover from this mode, click continious search again which will activate SURFACE SEARCH AND AIR SEARCH. Click the hand again to return to air search only (both search mode icons are grey.)

Normal Operation Single Surface Search, no Air Search:
With HAND activated (bright) deselect Continious Search (both search modes will be dim yellow instead of grey) and activate Single Search icon (which will return to dim yellow after one turn of the radar dish.

Note: To recover from this mode where the surface search is disabled after one cycle and air search is disabled, click the Continious Search icon (both the HAND and CONTINIOUS SEARCH will be bright.) You now have both radars enabled. Click Continious Search again to turn off Surface Search and leave Air Search enabled.

Other way to think about it is clicking the Continious Search Icon provides the modes where air search is disabled.

I discovered all this by sitting in an intense enemy air environment and playing with the icons. I eventually found the combos where only my bridge crew visually sighted enemy air and I could return to seeing distant air radar returns.

Hope you can follow all that without pics.

It's a shame we have to discover this complex functionality after months of play with no assistance from the manual.
-Pv-

Humm.... sounds like a "Sticky" to me. :know:

rocco
11-01-07, 08:32 AM
Wow, I will have to read this several times to ensure full comprehension :lol:

Thanks for the detailed answer, I agree this should be in the FAQ (well, the manual really, but...) or a sticky or something :up: .

I wonder if a mod would be possible to just make a new button for air search radar? Judging by the convoluted way it's handled at the moment, I guess it might be tricky to eliminate the old way. Maybe just an icon to indicate whether air search is on or off? Let me try to explain, I'm not sure if that was clear.

Would it be possible to leave the convoluted way of manipulating the radar as it is, but have a seperate icon there that just shows whether air search radar is on or off?

As it stands, the only way I found out the air search radar was off, was when my watch crew said, plane spotted (followed shortly thereafter by bombs falling on my head :damn: ). While the Albacore made it home, it was a hairy ride.

Thanks,

Rocco

-Pv-
11-01-07, 02:43 PM
The short rule of thumb...

If you have one or two dim yellow search mode icons (not grey) your air search radar is off.

You have air search radar enabled if you have two grey search mode icons (disabled) or one continious search mode icon bright yellow and single search is grey (disabled.)

expanded...
Once you have practiced with the buttons a few times to see what it takes to switch through the various modes, it becomes easier to understand.

An eaiser thing to remember is to stay away from the two search mode buttons on the right. If you never touch them you will always have air search.

If you HAVE played with them, you then need to realize the steps outlined above to get back to a normal mode because the mode you have when you save is persistant and is restored to your custom setting on game load. In other words, restoring a game save does not revert your air radar to on if you turned it off when you saved.

-Pv-

rrmelend
11-02-07, 05:03 PM
I actually had kind of the same thing happen with my surface radar. It was working great, dove to periscope depth sunk a merchant, evaded a subchaser, surfaced the boat and then checked my surface radar because of a lack of updates and found that it was turned off. No big deal, thanks to this thread I just realized that I need to manually turn them back on when I surface.