PDA

View Full Version : Total Naval Warfare

tonibamestre
10-30-07, 09:39 AM
Hello guys,
this post is oriented mainly to Ubi developers,even though is good to know your opinnion about.
Imagine a brand new naval game for the next years,and its Items are;
- Global covering
- SRTM Elevations,accurate undersea topo
- Detailed Ports and Naval Stations
- Online downloadable actual meteo and sea state conditions
- Submarine platforms from the 60s
- Surface platforms from the 60s
- Addon and expansion capability in order to bring newer platforms,weapons and technology from several Countries ( Carriers,destroyers,frigates,cruisers,LPHs,LPDs,AO Rs,etc )

This could be a good project seems to me,what you think about?

hyperion2206
10-30-07, 10:10 AM
Sounds good but it would be a large project and the developer/publisher would have to be commited to develop/support the game over long period of time. I doubt that anybody would undertake such a great "risk".
And even if somebody did it the Add-ons wouldn't be cheap because of all the new ship models etc., especially if they're supposed to be commanded by the player.
I'd really love to have such a game but because of the reasons stated above I highly doubt that we'll get such a game in the near future.

AVGWarhawk
10-30-07, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a very large project:o. But, I would welcome a total surface and submarine simulation.

hyperion2206
10-30-07, 10:11 AM
Sounds like a very large project:o. But, I would welcome a total surface and submarine simulation.
I was faster!:p:lol:

-Pv-
10-30-07, 06:09 PM
Pacific Storm moves in the direction of many of your specs. It also has a capability to introduce modern weapons which were almost ready at the end of WWII.
-Pv-

Rockin Robbins
10-31-07, 07:07 AM
But Pacific Storm encompasses so much: economic simulation, scientific research, macro and micro strategy and tactics, that it loses its focus and drowns the player in a morass of minutia (sp). I found the game not to be much fun. It is interesting, but not fun for me.

-Pv-
10-31-07, 11:08 PM
I agree with the scope of your experience RR.

This is what happens when games become too big and try to please everyone. As a result each aspect of the game will please some people some of the time, but none of the aspects (except in this case detailed strategy players) has depth enough to keep everyone interested. PS gets credit for trying to make the strategy AI strong enough you can make a few key decisions and leave most of the detail work to the computer. The tempation to tweak what is seen as inefficiencies in the default AI control temps us to try and get the edge on the AI by intervening. This more often than not causes chaos until vast experience is obtained. I've never seen a tactical level done this good (considering it's only 1/3 of the game) but the 1st person simulation level is really poor.

This brings up the point that bothers me in all the vast wish list features requested. If ALL of them were implemented we would have Pacific Storm. SHIV is what it is because the devs like to make this kind of sim with their skill set. It was made to satisfy a particular simming interest that matches theirs. Matches mine and many others here. Those who say they hate the game because it doesn't have their pet feature(s) don't bother me at all. If it wasn't the game I wanted, I wouldn't have bought it either. With each patch, I play it more hours.
-Pv-